Old 07-05-2006   #1
New on Forum

vhs to dvd?

ive had good luck backing up dvd movies with 1click and any dvd. But what hardware and software will i need for backing up my collection of vhs movies to a dvd?
bigjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: vhs to dvd?

Without buying alot of stuff I would simply suggest getting a VHS player that has a DVD burner in it. This runs between 100.00 to 300.00 USD. It is the simplest way to be honest. Wal-Mart has a hardware/software around 60.00 USD forgot the name of it though and it would connect to your PC through USB and the VHS has to connect to the hardware. There may be other options but this is all I know right now. I just simply bought to replace all my VHS title due to the converting of that you want will be the same as watching a VHS quality.
Dr. Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #3
MyCE Resident

a tv capure card, about £50, it takes a good while and the results and watchable

Bj

click HERE to join cdfreaks
Bjproc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #4
MyCE Resident

If you buy stand alone Combo DVR (Digital Video Recorder & VHS Player) as suggested that would do the job without the need for the computer. The process for converting your VHS to DVD can be done by Dubbing, but there are a time that some movies are copy right protected and can't be dubbed then you need a hard ware device (different name) one of which is "SIMA "Digital Video Enhancer and Duplicator" being installed between the output of VHS player and input of DVD Recorder and its job to remove the protection mechanism from VHS output before being feed to DVD Recorder.
TCAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #5
zaq
MyCE Resident

it depends on type of VHS tape and if you want to use your PC
if personal tapes use DOcs idea of vhs/dvdr combo unit
If you want to backup a commercial vhs it will have macrovision protection on it and if you hook up a vcr with this type of tape to a dvd recorder, it will not record due to copyright blocks in the DVDR
thus you have to get a piece of hardware such as SIMA CT-2 ($60)(a 30 day trial from best buy may be enough) between vhs player and DVDR

the other method is to connect your VHS player to a converter such a Plextor ConvertX and connect this to PC via usually USB or Firewire
then use software to manipulate the vhs rip to dvd format
this is very boring and time consuming and ties up your pc

the easiest method is to use the VHS to converter to DVDR using SIMA CT-2
check ebay they go as low10 bucks
zaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
If you want to backup a commercial vhs it will have macrovision protection on it and if you hook up a vcr with this type of tape to a dvd recorder, it will not record due to copyright blocks in the DVDR
thus you have to get a piece of hardware such as SIMA CT-2 ($60)(a 30 day trial from best buy may be enough) between vhs player and DVDR
Not picking on you zag you were the last poster that's all.

The have VHS / DVDR stand alone players that will do your macrovision protected tapes to DVD if you look and read plus buy the right one. Just an FYI they are out there. If I heard someone once right if you do it through the PC you'll need alot of hard drive space.
Dr. Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #7
MyCE Resident

@ bigjo,

There are many ways to convert VCR VHS to DVD. Suggest conducting a Google search (http://www.google.com) on the topic “Covert VHS To DVD”. An example is the below Web Link.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/318

I have a DataVideo DAC-100 FireWire Digital Video Converter that I use in my VCR VHS to DVD conversions and have hade good results.

http://www.datavideo.us/products/dac_100_main_page.htm

Also suggest conducting a CD Freaks Forum search on the “Covert VHS To DVD” topic, which will reveal good results.

Best Regards,
bjkg
bjkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

I am using Sima C-1 connnected between output of VSH player and DVR recorder in may stand alone recorder and have no problem removing those Microvisions and converting VHS to DVD.
TCAS is offline   Reply With Quote