Old 18-01-2006   #1
New on Forum

new dvd wont read or play

I bought Stuart Little 3 from big w and my pc wont even load the dvd,likes its a blank disk :-( Ive tried upgrading dvd writers firmware etc

tried Clonedvd2,anydvd, dvd decrypter etc all the programs .. but when i put dvd in drive it just attempts to read it then nothing. I can click on dvd drive icon on desktop and window opens but nothing to view....

ive copied many purchased dvd movies and made backups before with no problem...

the movie plays 100% no problems on setop dvd player but wont play or even read on pc with powerdvd etc ....

its a Sony pictures movie ....

Ive heard theres new protection ... but does sony realise many people dont own dvd settop players ?? alot of people play movies on their pc .....

Is there anyway to copy this movie ????
K!NGP!N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006   #2
CD Freaks Junior Member

Re: new dvd wont read or play

i dont think this movie is released in the US until February 21, 2006.
Overmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

Released in US according to Amazon.com on:
1. Stuart Little 3 - Call of the Wild (2006) DVD
Original Release Date: February 21, 2006
(Rate this item)
Not Yet Released -- On Order
List Price: $24.94
Buy new: $16.99

Released in UK according to Play.com on:
Stuart Little 3: Call Of The Wild (Animated)
Due for release on 13/02/2006
our price: £11.99 Delivered
RRP: £15.99 You save: £4.00 (25%)

Can anyone confirm whether this title is released yet, on or before the above dates I have posted before we start questioning the authenticity of the related question ?
SparkySpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006   #4
Tru
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by K!NGP!N
the movie plays 100% no problems on setop dvd player but wont play or even read on pc with powerdvd etc ....
Then it is defective, or your drive doesn't like it. Try a different drive, or return the disc to get a new one. Discs are meant to be watched (yes, this includes PCs).
Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru
Then it is defective, or your drive doesn't like it. Try a different drive, or return the disc to get a new one. Discs are meant to be watched (yes, this includes PCs).
unless it's the same problem that someone else recently ran into with trying to play illegal DVDs meant for reviewers only...these seem to be protected in such a way that they are not meant to even play in a computer.

if this is the case, it's not the commercial release (not to mention not a legal release) and there's nothing we can do. The official release should be playable in all DVD drives.

K!NGP!N, can you verify the origin of your copy of this film? if you've unknowingly purchased an illegal copy, do you still have the receipt that shows proof of purchase.? sometimes the studios offer rewards for reporting retailers that break street date as this is a serious offense in the dvd retail industry.

you said you purchased from "big w." i don't know what that is or if it's a reputable store, but i'd get your money back and wait until the disc actualyl come sout.
reasonsnotrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkySpark
Released in US according to Amazon.com on:
1. Stuart Little 3 - Call of the Wild (2006) DVD
Original Release Date: February 21, 2006
(Rate this item)
Not Yet Released -- On Order
List Price: $24.94
Buy new: $16.99

Released in UK according to Play.com on:
Stuart Little 3: Call Of The Wild (Animated)
Due for release on 13/02/2006
our price: £11.99 Delivered
RRP: £15.99 You save: £4.00 (25%)

Can anyone confirm whether this title is released yet, on or before the above dates I have posted before we start questioning the authenticity of the related question ?

i work at a video store and I can verify that this movie has not yet been released. it has a street date in our system that matches the information you've obtained from amazon
Old 18-01-2006   #7
New on Forum

I live in sydney Australia the movies available to rent or buy from any blockbuster,civic video etc store....... its been out for a week or more !!!! also big W is a store like Kmart or Walmart

heres the video store link in sydney australia...
http://www.videoezy.com.au/default.a...l&itemId=32344

I have an LG GSA-4163B dvdrw burner

i also tried dvd movie on other pc and same problem .. it either keeps trying to read and doesnt stop or just attempts t read then stops......

also i left the dvd movie in the drive and reboot pc ... the pc would not boot just hangs there until i eject the dvd movie which i thought was crazy.......
the dvd is brand new no scratches and it works on many other set top dvd players so it cant be defective...

this is some new protection ... the boys at Slysoft i hope your out there reading this...!!

time to pull ya finger out and get to work ....

i do know that sony use many different types of copy protections in diffferent countries... like stuart little 3 might have a new protection being tested out here in Australia.. but same movie may not have this protection in other countries..... luck of the draw..

Last edited by K!NGP!N; 18-01-2006 at 23:53.
Old 18-01-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

ahhh you never specified the region, and this isn't out for another month in the US AND the UK. I spologize for the confusion.

as far as slysoft helping you out...the problem is, you can't burn something that you can't play. This is a protection issue, but the issue is that Sony is violating the law by issuing a disc that's incompatible with some players.

The first thing I'd do is exchange it at the store you got it from. See if the 2nd disc has this same problem. if that's the case then you need to complain to sony that the disc is not compatible with your dvd drive.

unfortunately, the good people who work on breaking copy protection cannot do anything if the computer won't even recognise the disc.
Old 19-01-2006   #9
New on Forum

i took back to shop and got another copy.... same problem....

ive tried it in my set top dvd player and a friends .... and works ok but pc dont like it.

I hope the guys at slysoft can sort something out or maybe contact Sony/Australia and inform them of the legality issues as they will probably do this to all their dvd releases in Australia and maybe worldwide ..

also if its even worth mentioning .. when i put dvd disc into set top player A Piracy warning advertisement appears going for aprox 45 seconds then menu appears for movie.. shows someone stealing a handbag,then a television then says you wouldnt do that so dont steal movies... LOL
Old 19-01-2006   #10
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
i took back to shop and got another copy.... same problem....

ive tried it in my set top dvd player and a friends .... and works ok but pc dont like it.

I hope the guys at slysoft can sort something out or maybe contact Sony/Australia and inform them of the legality issues as they will probably do this to all their dvd releases in Australia and maybe worldwide ..

also if its even worth mentioning .. when i put dvd disc into set top player A Piracy warning advertisement appears going for aprox 45 seconds then menu appears for movie.. shows someone stealing a handbag,then a television then says you wouldnt do that so dont steal movies... LOL

Here's the problem - AnyDVD NEEDS the DVD to at least appear as a filesystem on the PC. If it doesn't, there is NO software solution to the problem.

And Sony knows full well the legal ramifications of this tactic already. But you didn't say if it worked in someone ELSE'S PC or not.
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006   #11
Tru
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
They won't. A lot of people using mediacenter PCs would return the disc. You can (and should) do the same. I can't believe Sony does this intentionally, it is probably a defective production.
Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006   #12
New on Forum

Gurm ... I said in the post before that one that i had tried it on someone elses pc also and it didnt load or read ...... my 2nd post !!!!

maybe you should read what is in front of alot more carefully .....
:-)
Old 19-01-2006   #13
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Gurm ... I said in the post before that one that i had tried it on someone elses pc also and it didnt load or read ...... my 2nd post !!!!

maybe you should read what is in front of alot more carefully .....
:-)
Whoops sorry!

Yep it's a defective disc. If another copy of the same title also doesn't read, it's a defective run. That's all. The discs HAVE to at least SHOW UP on a PC drive. If they don't play on your PC drive, they also won't play on Lite-on set-top boxes, or set-top boxes which use the ATI chipsets. We don't see a lot of those in Best Buy around here, but they sell a substantial number worldwide. Trust me there are plenty of devices that work JUST like a DVD-ROM so if the disc doesn't work there, it's definitely defective.
Old 20-01-2006   #14
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurm
Whoops sorry!

Yep it's a defective disc. If another copy of the same title also doesn't read, it's a defective run. That's all. The discs HAVE to at least SHOW UP on a PC drive. If they don't play on your PC drive, they also won't play on Lite-on set-top boxes, or set-top boxes which use the ATI chipsets. We don't see a lot of those in Best Buy around here, but they sell a substantial number worldwide. Trust me there are plenty of devices that work JUST like a DVD-ROM so if the disc doesn't work there, it's definitely defective.

Cant be The exact same thing happend when i tried to backup Sky high it was brand new had no Scratches what so ever and it worked in the DVD players just fine.

All other Dvds such as Mr and Mrs Smith and the island backed up fine it was just that Skyhigh that wouldnt read in the Dvd burner. This is A new kind of Sercurity i think there purposely making sure computer dirves dont read the movie so it cant be backed up do you guys habe any ideas how this can be Worked around
deathhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006   #15
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathhawk
Cant be The exact same thing happend when i tried to backup Sky high it was brand new had no Scratches what so ever and it worked in the DVD players just fine.

All other Dvds such as Mr and Mrs Smith and the island backed up fine it was just that Skyhigh that wouldnt read in the Dvd burner. This is A new kind of Sercurity i think there purposely making sure computer dirves dont read the movie so it cant be backed up do you guys habe any ideas how this can be Worked around
Also a bad disc. Trust us - DVD's HAVE TO PLAY IN YOUR COMPUTER. They just have to. Do you have any idea the percentage of people worldwide that have crappy little DVD players that read the same way a DVD-ROM does?
Old 20-01-2006   #16
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathhawk

you don't know what you're talking about. In order to sell a product as a DVD, a company must guarantee its compatibility with ALL DVD PLAYERS including those in your computer.

there are 2 possible explanations for the problem:

1.) defective run

2.) Sony was experimenting with protection and made a big mistake.

either way, I'd be calling sony customer service 24 hours a day and demanding to speak with whomever is as high up as possible.

as far as your copy of Sky High, what region was it? I backed up my R1 copy just find with no trouble at ALL.
Old 20-01-2006   #17
CDFreaks Resident

Location: In the Sweetleaf patch down by the Beer brook with the Blue Agave plants

I haven't seen this written in stone......
Quote:
In order to sell a product as a DVD, a company must guarantee its compatibility with ALL DVD PLAYERS including those in your computer.
Maybe they are trying to block the dvd players in computers. so they can go back to the governments and say we're doing this so we can protect are investments. and take away more of our rights.
or maybe sony is trying to take over the whole media by saying you will have to buy sony products if you want to watch sony movies, tv programs, music.......

oh sorry got alittle paranoid.....lol
hobo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006   #18
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo10

Maybe they are trying to block the dvd players in computers. so they can go back to the governments and say we're doing this so we can protect are investments. and take away more of our rights.
or maybe sony is trying to take over the whole media by saying you will have to buy sony products if you want to watch sony movies, tv programs, music.......

what do you mean you haven't seen it written in stone...it's the definition of the terms of the product. anything sold as a DVD-VIDEO must play in anything that has the DVD-VIDEO logo on it...and the includes the dvd players in your computer.
Old 20-01-2006   #19
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo10
http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/

Look here - if any movie company want to put the DVD logo on their product they have to follow what this crowd say - else they can't call it a DVD Video.

Better Compliance

There is one Test Specification for each of the Product Category of DVD products, which are allowed to carry the Logo. A Test Spec sets the minimum common requirements a product must pass for better compatibility.

Let us say that a disc has the Logo for DVD Video on it. This means that the disc may be reproduced on a player that also carries the DVD Video Logo. Likewise, a disc marked with DVD-RAM Logo is meant to be used for players/recorders with DVD-RAM Logo, and a disc marked with DVD-R Logo is playable/recordable on players with DVD-R Logo.
abrown15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006   #20
CDFreaks Resident

Location: In the Sweetleaf patch down by the Beer brook with the Blue Agave plants

opps!! sorry, thought i deleted that top part out! as i remembered about the logo and what it meant. and this part
Quote:
Maybe they are trying to block the dvd players in computers. so they can go back to the governments and say we're doing this so we can protect are investments. and take away more of our rights. or maybe sony is trying to take over the whole media by saying you will have to buy sony products if you want to watch sony movies, tv programs, music.......

was to be of no importance
hobo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006   #21
MyCE Resident

What the OP didn't mention is the brand/model of the DVD drives the disc was tried in. Perhaps both PCs have the same brand/chipset of drive and there's an incompatibility. I found that 1 of the Voyager discs (season 6 disc 7 I think) wouldn't play right in an NEC 2500/2510 - two of the VOBs read corrupted (One was in the special features, and I think one was in an episode). Even tried on a fresh install of Windows and it still failed to play (AnyDVD or WinDVD) or rip successfully. That is, most of it played until it hit one of the VOBs that it couldn't read. My other DVD drives (ROM and writers) read it find, as did my standalone players.
dentman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2006   #22
CD Freaks Die Hard

I also seem to remember a ripguard or arccoss protected movie (not sure which movie but it was within the last 6 weeks) that many members could not get a backup on due to their NEC drives. Other members got the backup fine with other brands of drive.
Whisperer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006   #23
MyCE Resident

So far, my 3520 has had no problems. When I first got it, I even tested it with the Enterprise disc that the 2500s didn't like. It had no problem. The 3520 even was able to read some discs that my Lite-On DVD-ROMs and 411@811 had problems reading. Do you have any specific examples of other titles that cause problems on NEC drives (particularly on a 3520)? If so, I'd like to see if I can find one to test...
dentman42 is offline   Reply With Quote