Old 25-02-2013   #1
MyCE Rookie

How to upgrade your Asus BW-12B1ST to LiteOn iHBS112-2

Before reading, please read this quotation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvs View Post
...it might be worth putting a warning on the first post in this thread stating that BW-12B1ST a drives with firmware 1.00 are no longer LiteON iHBS112 clones and hence people should not attempt to crossflash them. Doing so will brick their drive.

BW-12B1ST 1.03 = LiteON iBHS112 clones
BW-12B1ST a 1.00 = LG BH14NS40 clones
the original post continues below.

Hi, guys - I just purchased an Asus BW-12B1ST. According to Flash Utility 6.0.1 (Here), my Asus Firmware is at v1.03:

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

The Asus BW-12B1ST is a re-branded LiteOn iHBS112-2 drive OR a rebadged LG drive; see the above note!. If it is a LiteOn:

LiteOn updates their firmware more frequently than Asus. I was looking for instructions on how to upgrade to the latest LiteOn firmware. Most of the Asus firmware upgrading instructions on Club MYCE are scattered across different postings, so I wanted to give y'all a "one-stop-shop" to make the task easier.

(Note: I am not responsible if you damage or brick your Asus BW-12B1ST. Use at your own risk.)

To upgrade your Asus BW-12B1ST to the LiteOn iHBS112-2 PL06 firmware, follow these steps:
  • Download the "unlocked" iHAS324-B-AL18.exe LiteOn firmware updating utility (Here, via firmwareHQ)
  • Download the iHBS112-2 PL01.bin firmware file (Here)
  • Download the iHBS112-2 PL06.exe firmware updating program (Here)
  • Upgrade your Asus to the PL01 firmware by dragging the PL01.bin onto the iHAS324-B-AL18.exe file. (You can also do right-click "Copy" of the PL01.bin file, and then right-click "Paste" onto the iHAS324-B-AL18.exe file)

Note: The iHAS324-B-AL18.exe firmware updater will then run, and you should see this:

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

When you press "Yes", and then select "Update", you will see something like this:

Embedded Images

Note: If you don't see a dialog box that says you are updating from v1.03 to PL01, STOP HERE. You may damage your drive if you try to rewrite your firmware and your computer doesn't show the proper versions.
  • After the PL01 firmware update completes, you should then be prompted to restart your PC. Go ahead and reboot your PC, and let your "New Hardware" LiteOn iHBS112-2 PL01 drive be recognized and installed onto your PC.
  • Once your "new" LiteOn DVD drive has installed on your system, run the PL06.exe firmware updater program.

After a confirmation prompt, you should see this:

Embedded Images

Note: If you don't see this, STOP HERE. You may damage your drive if you try to rewrite your firmware and your computer doesn't say that you are updating from PL01 to PL06.
  • After the PL06 firmware update completes, you should then be prompted to restart your PC. Go ahead and reboot your PC, and let your "New Hardware" LiteOn iHBS112-2 PL06 drive be recognized and installed onto your PC.
  • If you want a copy of the Asus V1.03 firmware binary, go: Here. I don't know for sure if you can safely flash this back onto your drive using the unlocked iHAS324-B-AL18.exe program, since I have not tried it. Use this at your own risk.

mod note: again, make sure that your drive is indeed a LiteOn before attempting to flash!

Cheers!

AzJazz
Attached Images

Last edited by Albert; 07-02-2015 at 20:30. Reason: attaching images directly to the post itself, as a backup; adding a note
azjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013   #2

Just wanted to let you know that this worked great and your instructions were so easy to follow. THANKS AGAIN!
rlkolb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013   #3
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlkolb77 View Post
Just wanted to let you know that this worked great and your instructions were so easy to follow. THANKS AGAIN!
Glad to help!
azjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #4

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know that this worked great and your instructions were so easy to follow.
I second that. Thanks for aggregating the info and making it crystal clear.
JCDtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013   #5

Thanks for the simple step-by-step instructions. I followed this procedure in Linux using wine and it worked perfectly. For anyone else that wants to attempt this in Linux you must be root for the flash to succeed.
Hyper_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013   #6

I also wanted to thank the OP for the detailed instructions. Switching to the LiteOn firmware was very straightforward.
superblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013   #7
MyCE Rookie

Thanks OP for the instructions. I had 6x media that was only writing at 2x until I updated the Asus firmware to the Liteon.
npolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013   #8

Thanks, it worked perfect.

I have some "that's" blu rays which were not recognized at the 6X speed but now they are working perfect.

I damaged one before reading your topic.
madmax80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #9

I was looking to update my firmware on my asus burner. My current firmware is 1.02 though. Is it safe to update from 1.02 using this guide? Also is there any way to tell what the benefits would be going from 1.02 asus to PL06 lite-on? Here's a image of my update utility when going from 1.02 Asus to PL01 lite-on. Also thanks OP!
Embedded Images

jayquik03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #10
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquik03 View Post
I was looking to update my firmware on my asus burner. My current firmware is 1.02 though. Is it safe to update from 1.02 using this guide? Also is there any way to tell what the benefits would be going from 1.02 asus to PL06 lite-on? Here's a image of my update utility when going from 1.02 Asus to PL01 lite-on. Also thanks OP!
Embedded Images

This is up to you. It will fix some newer media being able to burn at the rated speed. I had this issue with some Windata 6x BD-Rs. With the Asus firmware I was able to only burn at 2x. With the LO it burns at 6X with no problems.
Old 10-07-2013   #11

I had the issue not being able to burn at all some Blu Ray discs. In the end it's up to you, I am in the warranty period and I did it.
madmax80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013   #12

Thank you OP. With your advice I was able to successfully crossflash my ASUS BW-12BST 1.03 to iHBS112-2 PL06. Here are some issues I ran into that may be of interest to others.

Firstly, without knowing very much I initially attempted to backup the original BIN using Flash Utility 6.0.1. It seems to be common knowledge that this tool does not work with these newer drives, however I was not aware of this and since the operation appeared successful and I created a BIN of the appropriate size I thought I had a working backup. This is not the case so other readers be aware of this.

I really wanted to keep a way to flash back to stock so after getting to PL06, I wanted to flash back to verify, and of course I could not with the backup I made. So I used the BIN linked in the 1st post, and it appeared to match my original. I was able to use the same method of dragging the 1.03.BIN file back over the unlocked AL18.exe file and successfully flashed back.

While this did work, and the drive seemed operational, there was a new entry in the Windows registry for this 1.03 version in addition to my original, so the firmware was not an exact match. What's more, I was able to use the drive to read and burn some CD-Rs, but I could not burn DVD-R, it would fail before even writing lead-in. So for other interested parties, there are multiple 1.03 firmware versions to be aware of.

I therefore went ahead and crossflashed again 1.03 (mismatched) -> PL01 -> PL06 and the drive seems to have full functionality now, including DVD-R. I just don't really have the ability to go back to stock since I am not sure which 1.03 BIN matches the original assuming I could obtain it from someone.

What additional functionality should I expect using PL06 over Asus stock 1.03? Speed, media compatibility?
John_Doe101274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013   #13

Thank you this was exactly what i was looking for.
SamHill77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013   #14

i rip Blu-Rays up to 4.8x speed... would this mod increase this speed?
SamHill77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013   #15
MyCE Rookie

It is possible, although I don't pay attention to it unless it is super slow. I have seen it more on the burn side.
Old 25-08-2013   #16

Thanks so much for the clear and in depth directions.
I followed your suggestions and they worked like a charm.
minigawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #17

I just purchased this ASUS drive and the firmware version is 1.00. I tried the link for the "unlocked" iHAS324-B-AL18.exe LiteOn firmware updating utility but it tells me I do not have permission to download and sends me to the stock version which will not work. Is there somewhere else I can download the "unlocked" iHAS324-B-AL18.exe file? Thanks!
mlcraig58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcraig58 View Post
I just purchased this ASUS drive and the firmware version is 1.00. I tried the link for the "unlocked" iHAS324-B-AL18.exe LiteOn firmware updating utility but it tells me I do not have permission to download and sends me to the stock version which will not work. Is there somewhere else I can download the "unlocked" iHAS324-B-AL18.exe file? Thanks!
I have the same drive made in May 2013 with same firmware and tried to do the update with the files linked above, it starts and says programming then goes to inquiry at which point i get an error saying "Unable to flash firmware. please contact your vendor! 0-0-0-0 ASUS BW-12B1ST a 1.00". after doing this the drive will no longer read a disc and when i check the firmware with eeprom util there is a bunch of garbage after the firmware version number. So it looks like what ever this new drive version is isn't compatible with this firmware cross flash and is corrupting the firmware. Tried this on several systems and several different sata chip sets with no luck.
KrzyInuYasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #19
cvs
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcraig58 View Post
I have uploaded a copy of the unlocked flasher here:

http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/2937030/file.html
cvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #20
cvs
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrzyInuYasha View Post
when i check the firmware with eeprom util there is a bunch of garbage after the firmware version number.
The EEPROM Utility reads/writes the EEPROM of a drive, not the firmware! The firmware and the EEPROM are two different things! Flashing your drive using the unlocked flasher method should not touch your EEPROM in any way!

Are you sure you have done everything correctly? Did you see PL01 in the unlocked flasher window after dragging the PL01.bin file on top of it?

If the answer is yes, then try downloading the PL01 firmware again, typically that sort of message occurs when you try to update the drive with a corrupt firmware file. Better still, I have uploaded a copy of the PL06 firmware here: http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/92179715/file.html. Try this one.

If it still doesn't work, the only explanation I can think of is that maybe they changed something with these new drives and the AL18 unlocked flasher is now too old to correctly talk with/flash this drive... not very likely, but you never know... in this case it might be worth searching for a newer unlocked flasher and then trying again...
Old 07-09-2013   #21

I know the eeprom util doesn't deal with the firmware, the reason I had it was to try to back up the eeprom data (which it wouldn't), I did nothing else with that util other then try to make a back up eeprom and check the firmware version after attempting to flash.

As for the flasher yes is shows the PL01 version and PL06 when I tried with your posted dump. Neither one will work with the flasher you posted, or the one in the beginning of the thread.

Either some thing happened in the firmware that makes it beyond fixable, or like you said there is a change to the drive that makes the old flasher incompatible. If it does need a newer flasher would you have idea where to start.
Old 07-09-2013   #22
cvs
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrzyInuYasha View Post
I know the eeprom util doesn't deal with the firmware, the reason I had it was to try to back up the eeprom data (which it wouldn't), I did nothing else with that util other then try to make a back up eeprom and check the firmware version after attempting to flash.

As for the flasher yes is shows the PL01 version and PL06 when I tried with your posted dump. Neither one will work with the flasher you posted, or the one in the beginning of the thread.

Either some thing happened in the firmware that makes it beyond fixable, or like you said there is a change to the drive that makes the old flasher incompatible. If it does need a newer flasher would you have idea where to start.
Try this unlocked flasher: http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/59256961/file.html

It is built using a much newer flasher version (2.3.28.0) compared to the older flasher used for the AL18 one (2.3.10.0), so maybe it will work with your drive ... I tried it to flash a different firmware (a BD-5300S firmware) to one of my iHBS112 drives and then flash PL06 back again and it works OK, so the flasher is definitely unlocked and works.

Just make sure as usual, that the correct drive is selected and that the target firmware after you drag and drop the binary firmware on the flasher's executable says PL01/PL06 before flashing it.
Old 07-09-2013   #23

No joy, gets a little farther in programming then errors. I can only assume some thing FUBARed the 1st time I tried flashing it. Will RMA it and see if I have better luck with the replacement.

Only thing I can think of at this point that might of messed it up was the SATA chipset it was on. Did a bit of researching and found that the chipset it's hooked to is a ASM1061 and it doesn't support ATAPI devices on my MB (according to the manual), even though the drive works on that chipset, I think any flashing attempt causes corruption. Might explain why the AMD and Intel chipset ports I've tried cause the flashing program to hang when searching for the drive.

Thanks for the help though and sorry if I wasted your time with this. Just was trying to see if I could get it recovered so I didn't have to do a RMA.
Old 07-09-2013   #24
MyCE Resident

The AS Media chipsets are definitely not optical drive friendly. I cringe a bit when I see you RMA'ing a drive that you messed up though.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013   #25

I still can't use any of the versions of the unlocked flasher posted here. gives me the same error that this is only for bla bla drives and detects my asus 1.03

could someone please post a working version of the unlocked flasher?

thanks.
Pepi is offline   Reply With Quote