Old 30-11-2004   #1
Senior Administrator

Writing to DVD-R on your NEC ND3100A

Since current firmware patches didn't enable writing to DVD-R(W) discs on the 3100 drive, I played around with this myself and created a modified firmware, that is able to change one Byte (actually it's only a Bit) in the flash rom, that's not changed when updating your firmware. The patched firmware is based on MadDog's 2.f9 and for those who are interested, I'm changing the Byte at address 0x4802 and NO, it's not located at position 0x4802 in any firmware binary that's floating around here.

Since I'm not 100% familiar with the assembler language used in these burners, I abused the function that resets the booktype counter to toggle this Byte. In order to not cause any corruptions, I had to disable all other booktype code, so bitsetting will not work, but if everything works as expected, you can afterwards flash any 3500 firmware to this drive to get DVD-R(W) support, but that's currently untested.

Instructions:
  • Download the modified firmware
  • Flash this firmware with Binflash or with TDB's DOS flasher
  • Use Binflash's "reset booktype counter" function once either by using the Reset button in the GUI version or by using -clearbt on the commandline in order to change the necessary Byte. Using this a second time will revert the value back to normal.
  • After resetting the drive try burning a DVD-R

This firmware is provided as is. Since this is a highly experimental firmware, there's always a risk that you might destroy your drive. Neither me nor CD Freaks are responsible for any damages that are caused by the usage of this firmware. Trying this function on a 3500 drive may prevent you from burning DVD-R(W) discs

A big thanks goes to Akamatsu for testing this on his Dad's drive.

UPDATE
Instead of flashing this firmware, you might also try a program that can be found here. Just choose your drive in the drop down list at the top of this program and choose the new drive type your want to have for your drive.

This program adds several drive types that probably do not and never will exist. I'm not sure if NEC still distinguishes between +R only and +/- drives, but you might still be able to restrict your drive to +R only when choosing 3120 for example.

This tool should work with all current NEC (and compatible) drives, but I cannot guarantee that it won't break your drive! This version has only been tested on my ND2500. Due to the lack of DVD-R discs, I could only assure that the value was indeed changed. I'm not sure if writing to DVD-R was impossible afterwards.

Although 3530 and 3540 drives seem to be identical, switching between these two drives is not implemented. If anyone wants to test this, I can provide you with a special build of this program that assumes both drives are compatible.

Unrequested PM about drive problems will not be answered!

Last edited by Liggy; 04-07-2006 at 09:54. Reason: Added new tool
Liggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004   #2
CD Freak

Re: Writing to DVD-R on your NEC ND3100A

Wow! Dell users rejoice!
Old 30-11-2004   #3
Dee
Senior Administrator and Reviewer

Nice piece of work Liggy. I'm sure this will make the ND-3100 owners very happy indeed.

MyCE SSD Reviews

To become a member of MyCE.com just click here to join
The Forum Rules | The SSD FAQ | The NEC/Optiarc F.A.Q. | Liggy & Dee's NEC/Optiarc Firmware Page
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004   #4
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liggy
but if everything works as expected, you can afterwards flash any 3500 firmware to this drive to get DVD-R(W) support, but that's currently untested.
I will attempt the next stage of this test on Thursday, and report back my results. Liggy, would you like another debug dump after this to confirm the 0x4802 bit has not changed again?
Akamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004   #5
New on Forum

For some reason, the link to the firmware doesn't seem to be working for me. Is there another place that this can be downloaded.

Thanks!!!
tmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004   #6
Senior Administrator

No. I don't need further debug dumps. The two dumps you already sent me showed exactly what I hoped to see. From the way my patch works, I'm sure that this is the only way this Byte can change. Flashing a different firmware won't change anything in this area.

I'm only surprised that nobody ever tried this change before. I'm sure the same modification would have worked with previous +R-only drives already and some of the other patchers are much more familiar with these drives and firmwares than I am and this change was almost too obvious to be working.

Old 30-11-2004   #7
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcbride
For some reason, the link to the firmware doesn't seem to be working for me. Is there another place that this can be downloaded.
Sorry. Permissions for this file were not OK. It's fixed now.

Old 03-12-2004   #8
CD Freaks Junior Member

I'll flash to one of the current firmwares that allows bitsetting tonight, and report back my results, but imagine I'll have no problems.
Old 03-12-2004   #9
New on Forum

This solution didn't seem to work for me. I can't seem to burn anything with this 3100 drive.

I have flashed several different times and Im still getting the erorr that disc at once can't be started and Burn Process Failed....
Old 03-12-2004   #10
CD Freaks Junior Member

I flashed with LD-V1 and then successfully burned a Ritek G04 at 12X(DVD-R), a Prodisc R03 bitset to DVD-ROM(DVD+R SL) at 12x, and a Taiyo Yuden TYG02 at 12x(DVD-R). All with a 3100 that previously would error out on all DVD-R media. Thanks Liggy. 2nd test confirmed with the bitsetting f/w applied afterwards.

tmcbride- Is that just with DVD-R media or all media? Did you use the -clearbt when liggy's above f/w was active? Has the drive been working before?
Old 03-12-2004   #11
New on Forum

I have only tried DVD-R. I have sucessfull burned CD-Rs on the drive though. I have had the computer for only about a month now and have been through may forums.

I tried resetting in the GUI. Should I try doing it in the command line. If so, what are the exact steps to do that. I'm sorry I'm a newbie at this, but it does suck not being able to burn....

Thanks
Old 03-12-2004   #12
CD Freaks Junior Member

I did the necflash in a command line, but it should work just the same with GUI?

-Download the modified firmware
-Flash this firmware with Binflash Win GUI version.
-Reboot computer
-Use Binflash's "reset booktype counter" function either by using the Reset button in the GUI version or by using -clearbt on the commandline in order to change the necessary Byte.
-Reboot computer
-Try burning a DVD-R now. I don't know if both reboots are necessary, but that is basically how I did it, except I was dumping debug flashes in the middle and used commandline to reset booktype counter.

Akamatsu
Old 03-12-2004   #13
CD Freaks Rookie

Will this also work on the NEC ND6100A?

Thanks!

Scarlett
Old 03-12-2004   #14
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akamatsu
I did the necflash in a command line, but it should work just the same with GUI?
Both should work

Old 03-12-2004   #15
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett
No, the 6100 would need a different firmware that does a similar change. This one is for 3x00 drives only

Old 03-12-2004   #16
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett

Thanks!

Scarlett

As Liggy answered, no. But if you want to Add -R capability to this drive, go to TheDangerousBros site Here. and download 2.23 for the 6500(Includes 6100@6500). I can confirm this is all that is needed to burn -R on a 6100. No additional tricks like the above for the 3100 are needed.

Akamatsu
Old 03-12-2004   #17
Senior Administrator

What drives do you have under your control Akamatsu? 6100, 3100, 3450, ...
What else?

Old 03-12-2004   #18
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liggy
What drives do you have under your control Akamatsu? 6100, 3100, 3450, ...
What else?
Hmm.. As far as NECs... 2100, 3100, 3450, 3500, 5100, 6100, Maybe some older one's, but I would have to look.
Old 03-12-2004   #19
CD Freaks Rookie

Thanks, guys! I am having a rough time getting started with all this. I have tried several different programs (1Click DVD Copy, DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter), and I haven't been able to figure out how to get my movie burned to DVD yet! It was my understanding that DVD Decrypter did both the decrypting and the burning, but I gave up at 4:00 a.m. and went to bed! Do I need separate burning software to accomplish this? Also, once the DVD has been reauthored, do I need to save that to my hard drive before burning? I do not have both DVD-ROM and DVD+RW drives--just the NEC ND6100A--so anything I burn has to be copied to the hard drive first. Unless, I could do this across my LAN? I am so new to all this! Just bought the burner, and this is my very first attempt. I really appreciate the help!

Thanks again,

Scarlett
Old 03-12-2004   #20
CD Freaks Rookie

I forgot to mention that I have the opportunity to buy DVD XCopy Platinum, v.4.0.3.8, for $39. Would that be a better choice than everything else I have tried so far?

Also, which version of Nero do you recommend? Or something different?

Thanks!

Scarlett
Old 04-12-2004   #21
CD Freaks Junior Member

Scarlett,

It is really a preference and a "what features are important to you" decision. You are probably best off spending some time in the Recording Software and Transcoding sections of the CDFreaks forums. A good read through all stickies is a very good start, and most all of your questions should be answered. You should also be able to find some tutorials if you stick around in those forums and pay attention to sig lines.
Old 04-12-2004   #22
CD Freaks Rookie

Akamatsu,

Thanks for the advice! I realized that I was in the wrong forum for those last questions, and I appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

I did go to TheDangerousBros site you recommended. From my reading, it appeared to me that the firmware upgrade was to make the recorder region-free. Did I misunderstand, or is giving the recorder -R capability an additional benefit that just wasn't mentioned?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 05-12-2004   #23
CD Freaks Junior Member

Scarlett,

ND-6100 is DVD+R drive as you know.
ND-6500 is DVD+/-R drive.

Both the 6100 and 6500 are the same drive, but differ only in firmware. Flashing TDB's 2.23 for the 6500 that included the 6100@6500 will add -R capability(making your computer see the drive as a 6500), riplock removal, and rpc1(regioin free at the drive level).
Old 06-12-2004   #24
Bugmenot account

Has anybody managed to get the 3100 patch working? From all accounts it seems to be unreliable.. ;(
bugmenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004   #25
Senior Administrator

It works for Akamatsu and someone at rpc1.org successfully modified his drive with this firmware too. Are you sure you did exactly what was desribed? (Especially using the bitsetting reset function once)