Old 26-08-2004   #1
New on Forum

Please help me before I take a hammer to this thing (NEC 2500A)

I really hope someone out there can help me with a problem I'm having with my NEC 2500A. I bought it a couple months ago, upgraded to Herrie's latest firware (1.07), and all was well.

Yesterday I upgraded my computer from a P4 to an AMD 64. I went through the usual process of reformatting my hd then reinstalling all the software I had backed up. That's when I ran into problem number 1. Nero wouldn't burn. I couldn't get it to initiate. I then went into Nero Info Tool to see if my ASPI drivers were there, as I had recalled reading here that someone had that problem. They weren't there. So I located & installed Force ASPI, rebooted and tried again. Same problem. The burn icon is greyed out. I then tried RecordNow. It went through the entire burn process and told me that my DVD was sucessfully created. So I loaded up PowerDVD to test it and that's when it gave me the error: "A disc with an unsupported format in drive E:".

I then load up DVDInfoPro. Ran a test and got nothing but LBA errors. It reaches 19% and just stays there. I left it running a few times and it won't pass that point, 19%. What in the world is causing this? My drive was perfect before I upgraded so what have I missed here?

This is pretty frustrating and I have no clue how to resolve this. If anyone has ANY ideas at all, please, please share them with me.

AMD 64 3000
Nforce3 motherboard
Ritek G04 DVD's
VapoTrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004   #2
Dee
Senior Administrator and Reviewer

Re: Please help me before I take a hammer to this thing (NEC 2500A)

If your using nVidia drivers rather than Microsofts own, be sure they are the latest nForce drivers. Check on there website, current version is 4.27.

Also check out the NEC FAQ

Are you running XP or XP 64bit for extended systems?

MyCE SSD Reviews

To become a member of MyCE.com just click here to join
The Forum Rules | The SSD FAQ | The NEC/Optiarc F.A.Q. | Liggy & Dee's NEC/Optiarc Firmware Page
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004   #3
New on Forum

Thanks for the reply Dee-27. To answer your questions... I've read the FAQ. I'm using the regular 32 bit windows XP. As far as the new Nvidia drivers are concerned, I've tried them and still no luck. I formatted my hard drive again, installed everything but the nvidia drivers & dvd programs, then I ghosted it onto another partition which will allow me to simply go back to a fresh install after trying various things. That said, I've tried just about every combination possible and nothing has worked. Tried the CD's drivers, windows drivers only, the new nvidia drivers. All without success.

Any other suggestions? I can't be the only one with this problem.
Old 26-08-2004   #4
Dee
Senior Administrator and Reviewer

Only 2 things i can think of at the moment

1, Check for a BIOS update for your m/board
2, Try a 80 pin UDMA100 IDE cable, replacing the one that connects your ND-2500A A lot of people have had problems with IDE cables and fitting a 80 pin cable has been known to fix this.

MyCE SSD Reviews

To become a member of MyCE.com just click here to join
The Forum Rules | The SSD FAQ | The NEC/Optiarc F.A.Q. | Liggy & Dee's NEC/Optiarc Firmware Page
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004   #5
DVD Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by VapoTrini
Yesterday I upgraded my computer from a P4 to an AMD 64. I went through the usual process of reformatting my hd then reinstalling all the software I had backed up.

"A disc with an unsupported format in drive E:".

My drive was perfect before I upgraded so what have I missed here?
At first sight this may sound strange... But I think it´s more in it then only "backup and reinstall software".

Quite honest, I dont think you can backup a Intel setup and run the same setup/"backup" on compu with nVidia chipset. M$ Windows has (when at Intel) installed all kind of drivers for that chipset. And also all the other "software" (programs) you had... and now still have when on nVidia.

AFAIK you better make a new install of M$ windows and all other programs again from scratch to get ridof all the (in your case) Intel junk.

off topic; I personally don´t see this as an system "upgrade". You have to see this as a complete new system. /off topic.

BTW, I think your drive is still as perfect as it was before upgrade.
pinto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2004   #6
New on Forum

No no... you misunderstood what I meant. Everything was installed cleanly, from scratch. When I say I backed stuff up, I meant that I have all my program setup files on DVDs.

It is indeed mostly a new system, sorry I really didn't explain it well I guess.

I'm starting to think it's this new batch of DVD's that's causing all of my problems. I had one older one left and I tried again from scratch with DVD shrink, and it worked! What I find really puzzling is that the DVD it worked on is supposed to be of VERY poor quality, yet it worked. When I try the supposed "high" quality Ritek, they fail. Aren't those supposed to be the best?
Old 27-08-2004   #7
DVD Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by VapoTrini
No no... you misunderstood what I meant. Everything was installed cleanly, from scratch. When I say I backed stuff up, I meant that I have all my program setup files on DVDs....

When I try the supposed "high" quality Ritek, they fail. Aren't those supposed to be the best?
lol

Now I see what you done... thanks for the "additional" info.

Re your "high quality Ritek". Use this TOOL to find out mediacode (MID), and maybe we all will get more adequate info this time...
pinto2 is offline   Reply With Quote