Old 16-06-2009   #1
New on Forum

Is my Optiarc bc-5500s BD-Rom dead? (Optiarc BC-5500S)

I have an Acer Aspire 6930G notebook, it approx 3 months old and was running without problem until last week when the Optiarc BD-Rom BC-5500S drive stopped loading/playing or recognising any discs in the drive whether DVD, CD or BD-Rom - all that happens is that the BD ROM drive makes a "B-Dum, B-Dum, B-Dum" noise at the regular rate of about once per second and after about 2 minutes of this timesout. If you right click on the Drive icon and select "Explore", then the drive tray ejects and the message screen "please insert a disc into drive F:" displays - when I insert a disc into the try and close then the all that happens is the noise as described about again. I do not hear a fast spinning sound at all, just the slow steady B-dum noise.

What I am trying to find out is whether the drive is broken and it is a hardware malfunction, or whether it could possibly be a driver problem or Windows Vista problem causing this, or even whether something simple like the 30-day trial of "Powerdirector" that was pre-installed but since elapsed, could have somehow caused the disc to stop working. I know nothing about filter drivers, but could this be something to look into?

Nothing loads at all - no audio Cd's no DVD's, no data discs, no blank discs. It seems strange that neither laser appears to be activating.

I bought the notebook over the internet from Amazon so am trying to find out if this is a hardware or software problem first, before contacting them, as if it is a software problem this would not be covered under the warranty.

Many thanks for any help offered.

Cheers.
cornflake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Is my Optiarc bc-5500s BD-Rom dead?

Have you tried booting from it, with cd, dvd, bd ??

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009   #3
New on Forum

Hi _chef_,
Thanks for your response -

As your suggestion, I have changed the bios to enable boot disk from cd/dvd and started up computer / windows from a recovery/boot disk - the bd-rom drive kicked into action and Windows loaded fine and I managed to play two different discs in the drive without any problems whatsoever, but then the problem came back. I then shut down the computer and booted from the recovery disc again and this worked fine and every disc I tried in the drive worked fine - I played data dvd disc, dvd video, picture disk, blue ray disc, cd audio, all of which worked instantly.

However, today I have disabled the boot disc startup in the bios and am back to the original problem that the drive will not play any discs and is making "that sound" again.

Any advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated as I am clueless.

Thanks very much.
Old 17-06-2009   #4
New on Forum

Hi again, just to add a further update:

I have now set the bios to: "F12 Boot Menu: Enabled" and will leave this setting enabled permanently in the bios as making this change seems to have cured the problem with the bd rom drive and windows vista starts up without me having to have a boot disk in the drive and doesn't seem to slow up startup significantly, so unless anyone can advise of any problems in using this setting, I will carry on using this configuration. I am happy that the drive is working again. Still confused as to why this problem has occurred though!

Any comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
Old 17-06-2009   #5
MyCE Resident

No idea, maybe some incompatibility with the internal controller & the drive?!

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009   #6
MyCE Member

i have this drive in my HP G70-120EA and it works perfectly. The motherboard chipset is Intel PM45.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009   #7
New on Forum

Re: Is my Optiarc bc-5500s BD-Rom dead? (Optiarc BC-5500S)

i have the same problem as yours but im using a sony vaio FW41M and doesn have that option in BIOS to enable F12 Menu. Any help?
under influence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #8

I have the same BD-ROM in my Sony Vaio. I have this problem too since yesterday. I don't know what to do???? HELP !!!
Victormoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #9

Sony technician remotely checked my VAIO laptop and decided they will send me a new BD-ROM Drive. It is a mechanical failure.
Victormoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009   #10

Exactly the same problem here. With luck, it reads a CD today... but just this and end of life.

My laptop is a Acer Aspire 4540.

I also tried use the firmware update from sony:
http://www.sony-optiarc.us/uploads/p...0S_V106_01.zip

But the firmware updater says that my drive is incompatible with the drive.

Any light from you????

Tks!
mlsmith23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009   #11
MyCE Member

we need binflash to be able to dump the firmware but oem ones are encrypted like mine which i got with my hp laptop latest firmware makes it read blurays @ 4x instead of 2x and i can't have it Wish someone was clever enough to break the protection.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009   #12
Senior Administrator

If someone is able to read the flash chip with external hardware, it might be possible to disassemble the firmware and maybe even patch it. But the way it is now, I don't think I can do anything about it :-(

Unrequested PM about drive problems will not be answered!
Liggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #13

Are you still having this problem? i am, and do not know what to do. Any suggestions?
talkative_trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010   #14
Oz.
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liggy View Post
If someone is able to read the flash chip with external hardware, it might be possible to disassemble the firmware and maybe even patch it. But the way it is now, I don't think I can do anything about it :-(
Hi Liggy

What kind of hardware are we talking here?

I have a 5500A and it would be neat to get 4X reading, but as everyone else getting f***** by Sony who wont release updates for OEM's.

Mr. Sony would spin in his grave if he knew how current directors are pissing on his customers!
Old 15-02-2010   #15
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz. View Post
What kind of hardware are we talking here?
Sorry, but I don't know which kind of hardware is used in this drive series.

Quote:
I have a 5500A and it would be neat to get 4X reading, but as everyone else getting f***** by Sony who wont release updates for OEM's.
This time you can't blame Sony as it's up to the OEM to request firmware updates from Sony for the drives and provide them to their customers.

Old 16-02-2010   #16
Oz.
MyCE Senior Member

Can I open i up and have a look, what do I look for?

Yeah, but no OEM will go looking for it, Sony should inform their OEM customers that they have improved performance with better firmware and then provide a link.

Mine is in a external USB box and I only paid 75 bucks for it on eBay, so not to faced about the whole thing. Still if it could run twice as fast, I would save some time.
Old 16-02-2010   #17
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz. View Post
Can I open i up and have a look, what do I look for?
You could try opening the drive and taking photos of all ICs. But then we would still need someone who's able to read that chips.

Quote:
Yeah, but no OEM will go looking for it, Sony should inform their OEM customers that they have improved performance with better firmware and then provide a link.
I'm sure that Sony would offer this service if they're paid for it. But most OEMs just want it cheap and that's what they get.

Old 19-02-2010   #18
Oz.
MyCE Senior Member

Took lid off today, can't see anything from the top and getting in through the bottom don't look like an option. So will probably give that a miss.
Old 11-07-2010   #19

Hey there.

Have somebody managed to solve this problem?
I solved it once restoring the computer to the original factory settings, but now the drive is dead again (maybe something incompatible that I installed?), and my drive is not OEM!

I couldn't install the firmware update provided by sony (I have a Sony Vaio), and there's nothing I can do with binflash.

By the way, my drive is a BC-5500S4
sanchesfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #20
Oz.
MyCE Senior Member

Nope, Sony is doing what Sony does/not

Guess they are to busy making exploding batteries.
Old 19-08-2010   #21

Hello!
Seems like I'm having the same problem. Mine is bc-5500s hp oem and of course no firmware update available.

I opened up the drive and managed to start it in the ejected position. From what i can tell, the laser is not powering up as it normally would and the optical block just moves a bit producing that annoying sound. The spindle motor just jerks a bit, not rotating.
The drive seems to work when i blow really hard on the area round the lens and then immediately start the computer, but then if I eject it, it goes back to it's usual problem. Very strange...
Cheers!
marckus is offline   Reply With Quote