Old 09-01-2006   #1
New on Forum

Best P2P

What is the best p2p out there? Ares? Limewire? ...
Bestmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #2
CD Freaks Senior Member

Re: Best P2P

RevConnect is quite good (if you have more than 20gb of share), and torrents too.
Frostwire is good if you don't feel like meddling around with torrent files or spending five minutes to connect the hubs every time you want to run RevConnect, but it doesn't have as many hits.
Fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #3
CDFreaks Resident

If talking speed but limited availability age wise for files, torrent is meant to be good. If you want availability but aren't too bothered about speed ed2k network is better, eMule is the largest client on that network.
JayC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member

About eMule... I've never used it. I tried once, but after struggling with the configuration for a while my brain started to hurt and I uninstalled it in disgust.
I'm willing to try again, since I hear it's THE p2p for people looking for rare files, and since it's bound to have improved in the years.
Is there anything I should know?
Old 10-01-2006   #5
CDFreaks Resident

eMule is pretty easy to set up, if I can anyone can. I can't set up BT, therefore the best answer to the question should have been the best is the one you can use.

Falling it depends on what your config is, cap ul/dl to a max of 80% of bandwidth any higher and you flood your connection. If you have a router max connections should be no higher than 250, and kad should be turned off. Remeber to give permission in firewall and forward ports for routers. In se3curity, under options, set it to accept messages frm friends only, that way you avoud spam.

eMules' own forum is a mine of info if you have problems, but I will help where I can. It depends how long ago you were talking even today people are mixing up eMule with eDonkey. There are various mods of eMule too, to fit certain needs, namely releasers and rare file holders, though that is another story and should not been gone into until eMule is running first.

As to rare files, I believe anything over a couple of months old is rare on BT, yet on ed2k network I have found files of things that are from the 80s and 90s. Not having the equiptment or knowledge to convert from VHS I had to find a copy of a film I have so I can watch it on DVD and to my suprise it was there as it has a limited market. The reason I needed to find it is my VCR blew up, literally, the cat peed on it he's never been near the TV since. I suppose that would make it hard to back up from VHS.
Old 10-01-2006   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC30
and kad should be turned off.
Kad is one of the best parts of emule. Gets lots of sources..

Revconnect is the best, but all those hub connectons take ageeees.

Gigabyte GA-7VA
AMD 2400+ 2.06GHz,
ATI Radeon 9600xt 256mb,
1gig PC2700 DDR Ram,
160gig Western Digital harddrive,
NEC 2500a,
Soundblaster Live Digital 5.1,
Windows XP Prof
kaybing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006   #7
CDFreaks Resident

For me limewire is 10/10! Find's everything I want fast and easily.
CM Real Power 850W Modular / Intel i7 920 @ 2.67
ashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #8
New on Forum

Why use LimeWire and pay for the pro version when u can get FrostWire which is identical in features for free? www.frostwire.com... U can get a Lite version of Bearshare which is bundle free (no ad/spyware or popups) at www.bearshare.com/lite.. You cant get to this from the main page, its just a well kept secret over at bearshare..
Other freebies are Shareaza, KazaaLite Resurrection, Kceasy, Ares, emule, edonkey, filetopia, soulseek.
Reconredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #9
CD Freaks Senior Member

So do I keep kad (is this shortened for Kademlia?) on or off?

Quote:
Revconnect is the best, but all those hub connectons take ageeees.
The hub connections aren't too big a problem for me. Open up the public list, order by number of users, connect first ten hubs. Wait a minute or two, close the unresponsive ones, open some more to get to 10 again. Do it another time or two and you're online on ten of the most populated hubs.
My main problem with RC is that it doesn't have upload bandwidth limitation. I have a connnection with 4mb downstream but only 256kb upstream (the wonders of italian adsl), so if I don't keep it from saturating the upstream bandwidth downloads slow down and internet browsing becomes excruciatingly slow.
I have to use either NetLimiter, which for some reason doesn't want to work right on my computer (I only ever get a blank window when I start it up), or NetPeeker, which sometimes freaks out and blocks any and all connections and has to be reinstalled.
Another thing that bugs me is the painfully slow hashing. I have all my share on external hard drives, so whenever I change a connection and forget to use the computer management app to reassign the drive letters it starts hashing all of it again. It should be able to recognize files it has already hashed and use the data it already has.
Old 11-01-2006   #10
CDFreaks Resident

If you have a router KAD should be off, for the same reason that connections should be less than 250 and average connections in 5 sec should be 5, it will crash the router. Once you have eMule running without kad, then you can turn it on to see if your hardware can handle it.

I have never used kad and I have no problems getting sources. Some use both and some use kad only. A bit like in eDonkey, some used ed2k only, some used ON part only some used both.

256k up seems to be the max for all ADSL in general in the EU. That is why I haven't upgraded from the 512/256 line I got when I first got broadband. After all most forget that the average dl speed of any network is equal to the average ul speed.
Old 11-01-2006   #11
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingwater
So do I keep kad (is this shortened for Kademlia?) on or off?

The hub connections aren't too big a problem for me. Open up the public list, order by number of users, connect first ten hubs. Wait a minute or two, close the unresponsive ones, open some more to get to 10 again. Do it another time or two and you're online on ten of the most populated hubs.
My main problem with RC is that it doesn't have upload bandwidth limitation. I have a connnection with 4mb downstream but only 256kb upstream (the wonders of italian adsl), so if I don't keep it from saturating the upstream bandwidth downloads slow down and internet browsing becomes excruciatingly slow.
I have to use either NetLimiter, which for some reason doesn't want to work right on my computer (I only ever get a blank window when I start it up), or NetPeeker, which sometimes freaks out and blocks any and all connections and has to be reinstalled.
Another thing that bugs me is the painfully slow hashing. I have all my share on external hard drives, so whenever I change a connection and forget to use the computer management app to reassign the drive letters it starts hashing all of it again. It should be able to recognize files it has already hashed and use the data it already has.
Yeah to connect to hubs i do wot u basically do, and get a line and a half of green hubs (if u know wot i mean). Kad is short for kadmelia, it is used in RC and Emule and recommend connecting tot that network. With emule it gets most of my connections if look down the list, u can never have too many people to download from, JayC30, i suggest you give it a go, my router never crashes cos of it

About the uploading on RC, my upload maxs at about 28kbps and RC never goes above 25, so thats OK, but some hubs ban netlimiter and other such programs. There is an option somewhere to slow ur uploads if it is a major problem, but i cant remember the name - its like "send small buffer" or something.

For all recent stuff Azureus with torrentspy and isohunt

Woooooooo

Gigabyte GA-7VA
AMD 2400+ 2.06GHz,
ATI Radeon 9600xt 256mb,
1gig PC2700 DDR Ram,
NEC 2500a,
Windows XP Prof
Old 11-01-2006   #12
CDFreaks Resident

I did try kad, I notice no improvement so I turned it off. I tend to share more than dl, and so kad has no advantage to ed2k only for me.
Old 11-01-2006   #13
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC30
I did try kad, I notice no improvement so I turned it off. I tend to share more than dl, and so kad has no advantage to ed2k only for me.
Why not leave it on??? It can only do more good than harm

Gigabyte GA-7VA
AMD 2400+ 2.06GHz,
ATI Radeon 9600xt 256mb,
1gig PC2700 DDR Ram,
NEC 2500a,
Windows XP Prof
Old 11-01-2006   #14
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybing27
some hubs ban netlimiter and other such programs
NetLimiter 1.whatever is detected by RevConnect and its usage is reported. Netlimiter 2.whatever, including the pro version, isn't. RC doesn't know it's there at all, so hubs don't know either. NetPeeker isn't detected either (and it's freeware).

Quote:
There is an option somewhere to slow ur uploads if it is a major problem, but i cant remember the name - its like "send small buffer" or something
Tried that. I don't know what it does, but it's completely useless to me.
Old 12-01-2006   #15
CDFreaks Resident

Why don't I leave it on? Because I don't want to, that's the beauty it is my choice. My priority is the network not the people who want to go serverless.