Old 05-01-2007   #1
MyCE Rookie

Using Deamon Tools and Alcohol 120% to run Securom 7 games.

I have recently accuired copies of F.E.A.R.: Director's Cut and Tomb Raider: Legend, both with the new SecuROM 7 and Blacklist protections on them. It took me some time but I was finally able to run images of these games using the latest versions of Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% (either works I just have 2 computers and only 1 Alcohol 120% key) even after applying the 2 updates for Tomb Raider: Legend and without having to patch the images in any way or by using Antiblaxx or other similar program.

As most here might already know the new SecuROM 7 tries to make you verify the disc from a real drive. Meaning that when using a virtual drive you simply get a message that says "insert disc into drive D" (or whatever your first real drive's letter is). If you get a message saying something about a confict with emulation software then you either have CloneCD or CloneDVD installed or you are not running the latest version of Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%.

The way that I have found to get around this is simply to diable all real drives in Windows Device Manager and unplug all external drives and it will force the game to verify the SecuROM protection from the virtual drive and run like normal.

Verification of the images can take as long as 30 seconds but it does work. Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I just wanted to post my findings and hopefully this helps someone.
Haldrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007   #2
Copy Protection Detective

Re: Using Deamon Tools and Alcohol 120% to run Securom 7 games.

Thanks for sharing. Avoid anti blaxx it really messes up your system and you can simply disable your drives in the device manager you don't have to unplug them.

Last edited by kalas; 27-09-2007 at 09:59. Reason: typo
kalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007   #3
MyCE Rookie

I only tried Anti Blaxx once and never could get it to work (perhaps because I still had CloneCD installed at the time) and I still think it's easier to disconnect external usb drives then to disable them in Device Manager but then again if you have the drives connected in the back of the computer then I can see your point.
Old 06-06-2007   #4
MyCE Rookie

Good news for people who like to use disc images to preserve their SecuROM protected games. Now you no longer need to disable your real drives with the latest version of Alcohol 120%.

After copying a friend's copy of The Sims 2 Deluxe I ran into a bit of a problem after installing it from the new image. The game was able to detect Alcohol 120% on my computer and gave me the usual message about having a conflict with my emulation software. The Sims 2 Deluxe is a DVD that contains the original game (possibly along with it's patch but it doesn't say on the cover) that also contains the Nightlife expansion. It also contains a new version of SecuROM 7 that was updated from Tomb Raider: Legend and F.E.A.R.: Director's Cut to version 7.00.00.0071 (obtained using a directory scan with A-Ray Scanner). This of course was a big disappointment to me as I had yet to play any Sims game except for Sim City 3000.

After only a few days however, a new verison of Alcohol 120% is here that not only can hide itself from this new version of SecuROM 7 but is also able to blend in along with my real DVD drives preventing the need for me to hide them. After installing and loading the game with this new version of Alcohol 120% (1.9.6 Build 5403 for anyone that is curious) I waited to see the screen telling me to insert the disc into one of my other drives since I had not yet disabled them. Upon seeing the SecuROM mouse cursor I hung my head thinking it had failed as was about to show the emulation screen again but after a short pause after my cursor returned to normal the screen went black and the intro video started playing.

I have been unable to confirm if Daemon Tool has also fixed this problem as I can't seem to get the latest version to install on my other computer that is still running an older version of it. I have also not yet retested Tomb Raider: Legend or F.E.A.R. as of this post as I just got done playing with The Sims 2 and wanted to tell someone about this asap but my guess is I will get the same results.

Results of A-Ray Scan on the Sims 2 Deluxe install directory (again for anyone that is curious):
SecuROM 7.00.00.0051 detected -> C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Deluxe\Base\TSBin\Sims2.exe
SecuROM 7.00.00.0071 detected -> C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Deluxe\EP2\TSBin\Sims2EP2.exe
Old 06-06-2007   #5
MyCE Senior Member

All SecuROM protected games should run without any problems using Daemon Tools and YASU
Reefke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #6

Aray scanner is out of date us protectionid and you'll get the right result for the used SecuROM version. Didn't install the new Alcohol version yet I'm waiting for DTools Pro which should come out this week
Old 07-06-2007   #7
MyCE Rookie

Well I've already intalled the new version with no problems yet and I have some unfortunate news regarding what I said about the new version fixing the insert original disc into another drive message. It seems that is only true for The Sims 2 perhaps because all of the expantions are still SafeDisc protected. I just tried F.E.A.R. and got the usual message I was getting before. I guess I got my hopes up too early.
Old 07-06-2007   #8
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldrie
Well I've already intalled the new version with no problems yet and I have some unfortunate news regarding what I said about the new version fixing the insert original disc into another drive message. It seems that is only true for The Sims 2 perhaps because all of the expantions are still SafeDisc protected. I just tried F.E.A.R. and got the usual message I was getting before. I guess I got my hopes up too early.
That's why you need YASU (see link above), to hide your drives from SecuROM. It works with both Alcohol Virtual Drive and Daemon Tools.
Old 26-06-2007   #9
New on Forum

Quote:
Good news for people who like to use disc images to preserve their SecuROM protected games. Now you no longer need to disable your real drives with the latest version of Alcohol 120%.
When I used the older versions of Alcohol for The Sims 2 Deluxe specifically, I would get an error telling me I was using emulation software. I get a different error with Alcohol 1.9.6.5403 that you mentioned, "Please insert the original disc instead of the backup(1000)." I have tried using YASU and several other anti-SecuROM programs. Any ideas?
misanthropex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007   #10

Could be a bad image, old yasu version, other anti blacklist tools messed up your system... New yasu with your alcohol version 'should' do the job without any problem. I would recreate the image getting the latest versions and just try alcohol and yasu on your system without any other similar tools (CloneCD, BlindWrite, antisecurom, etc...).
Old 26-06-2007   #11
MyCE Senior Member

The error "Please insert the original disc instead of the backup(1000)" definitely means it's a bad image.
Old 27-09-2007   #12
New on Forum

hey guys how are you doing?., well. im pretty new into all this image ounting thing., i just bought the sims 2 deluxe and alcohol 120% software., now., it is bothering me that i have to put the dvd into the drive to play the game. i've tried to patch it but wont work., also did an image but it says please insert the original blah blah blah... " bad image" im guessing., so i was wondering if some of you with your knowledge would help me out with this.,
thanks alot for your time.
Fessini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007   #13

Welcome Fessini,

take a look here.
Old 14-05-2008   #14
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefke View Post
The error "Please insert the original disc instead of the backup(1000)" definitely means it's a bad image.
I had the same problem with C&C 3. Fixed it by:

1. Running YASU and cloaking.

2. Rt. Click Daemon Lite, Emulation -> SecuROM

Worked!

Hope that helps.
spazstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #15

For Alcohol 120%, instead of using YASU, using A.C.I.D. will work. I tested it for FEAR 1.08 and I've got no problems.
avatarmonkeykirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013   #16

not working for me. What is YASU doing exactly?
dima06 is offline   Reply With Quote