Old 09-03-2007   #1
New on Forum

Playing Starcraft Without CD In Tray

Hi, Ive been reading these forums for some time now and they have helped me alot. This is my first post. I hope you can help me. I have spent a lot of time searching these forums but havent found any posts that helped regarding Starcraft Brood War....

....I know its an old game but I still like it alot. I scanned it with Protection ID and it said unprotected/unknown protection. Im assuming unprotected since I am able to easily make a working back up disk using Roxio EZCD 5.

What I want to do is make an image and play without inserting the CD. I have successfully made and mounted images of Diablo 2, Dungeon Siege 2, KOTOR, Max Payne, and even a 2meg mini image of BF2, using *only* Alcohol 120%.

But the Brood War images Ive made have not worked. It still says insert CD. Im not sure what settings to use in A120 since there is no protection. I tried making a mini image at around 20meg and a full image with all boxes unchecked. I have renamed the Alcohol 120 drivers (thats how I got BF2 to work). I suppose I can try randomly checking boxes in A120 but thought that someone here might allready know how to do it.

I dont want a "no cd crack" because, frankly, Im afraid of getting infected with a virus or something and from reading the forums here, I believe they're illegal (though I dont quite understand the reasoning....but thats a topic for another thread) .

I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Korok
CD-RW: Memorex 52MAXX
DVD-RW: LITE-ON 16X Double Layer DVDRW
Video Card: ATI X800 PRO AGP 256 MB (Catalyst 5.11)
Hard Drives: Seagate SATA RAID 0 (2x160GB 7200 RPM 8MBCache)
Seagate SATA RAID 0 (2x80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache)
Western Digital IDE (80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache)
Korok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #2
Copy Protection Detective

Re: Playing Starcraft Without CD In Tray

Welcome Korok,

I'm running Starcraft Broodwar 1.14 without any problems. I dumped the image at full speed with ImgBurn and mounted the .iso in DTools 4.08 so Alcohol should be able to create a working image. If the message pops up insert correct disc just hit continue a few times and it should start sometimes I have the same problem.
kalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #3
New on Forum

After reading your post I decided to try my image again and it worked. Not sure why it didnt work before but it works now so.......

Thanks for the help.
CD-RW: Memorex 52MAXX
DVD-RW: LITE-ON 16X Double Layer DVDRW
Video Card: ATI X800 PRO AGP 256 MB (Catalyst 5.11)
Hard Drives: Seagate SATA RAID 0 (2x160GB 7200 RPM 8MBCache)
Seagate SATA RAID 0 (2x80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache)
Western Digital IDE (80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache)
Korok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007   #4
New on Forum

As for StarCraft/Brood War image files (Or any image file for that matter), I used Clone-CD for writing Images to the hard drive from the CD, and a good number of the Images worked without needing a No-CD crack. As for No-CD cracks, they are NOT illegal so long as you own the original, (this goes double for downloading Image files from UTorrent), the cops can't do jack sh!t to you about image files if you own the original.

As I said, I use Clone-CD a lot of the time to write image files, and they mostly worked with using Daemon Tools.

Richard.
Richardc269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007   #5
Legal Senior Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardc269
As for No-CD cracks, they are NOT illegal so long as you own the original,
Wrong. The right to modify the copyright work (i.e. the program) is the exclusive right of the copyright owner.

Unless the copyright owner has permitted you to modify the program with your licence (e.g. open source programs) you have no right to do so.

No-cd cracks (which modify the copyright work) are illegal in all cases save where permission has been granted to do so (very very rare) whether or not you own a legitimate licence to the program.
Old 22-03-2007   #6
New on Forum

I have the same problem STILL. What setting EXACTLY do i use for Alcohol? Whenever I try to make an image it will run for a while and say Disc Read Error At: whatever number. Is that because the disc is scratched or because its on the wrong setting? I've gotten many other games mounted that have worked ie: Republic Commando, Oblivion, Descent Freespace, etc. I also am having trouble making an image for NFS Most wanted. I'm almost certain its Securom but I'm still having trouble. Can someone help?
ShadowHidYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2007   #7
Copy Protection Detective

Seems like your disc is dirty or scratched you already tried cleaning it? You can copy the disc with any burning software no special settings needed. Use the search function for NFSMW as this has already been discussed for example here. It uses SafeDisc protection nit SecuROM and check our backup guides forum for a solution backing up your SafeDisc disc.
kalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #8
New on Forum

I just selected "Normal CD" for Data type and it worked fine for brood wars.
Menzlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007   #9
New on Forum

I've been looking for a how to guide on making mini-images so I can create my own. I have found a mini-image for Battlefield 2 which works great...

Starcraft/Broodwar is protected by CD Check/MPQ

I am using the latest versions of Alcohol 120% 1.9.6 Build 5429 and Daemon Tools 4.09HE if anyone can help making a mini-image for Starcraft and Broodwar it would be much appreciated...

The latest version of Alcohol creates a full image and when I try to start Starcraft I get the error, "Windows - No Disk, Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c c5c 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c" I click continue 2x and the game starts...

I would rather not get this error and get a mini-image as the final result...

Last edited by Ci2e; 13-08-2007 at 13:16.
Ci2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007   #10
New on Forum

So has everyone given up on this?
Old 16-08-2007   #11
New on Forum

Ummm well, hello. Im not normaly a poster-just a lurker. But, ive sucsesfully ripped starcraft broodwar. Ironicaly-i did it with-erm... winrar. Not kidding. My disk was in terrible shape, and wouldn't read often... I uncompressed its contence to a folder, and burnt that exact folder to a disk virtualy. (Deep burner, does this nicely.) Its... worked for years now ^.^'... I'm fairly certain it shouldnt. And it IS a tiny bit buggy.

Give your disk the best cleaning and buffing you can... is the best i can suggest though. After that-last i checked, the BW disk's protection is a joke. Maybe give blindwrite a try? *shrugs*

Oh, and i mount with Daemon tools 4.08HE though i used older versions in the past. This image has been passed from my old computer to this one XD... poor disk-its... rather badly scratched.
RogueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007   #12
New on Forum

Well hello, I'm glad you decided to come from behind your lurking curtain and actually scribble something down!

I can believe you did it with WinRAR because Starcraft is really extremely old and the protection used is Blizzard specific besides the cd check, I found a mini-image in iso format at [link removed] and it works to start the game but for some reason it doesn't let you start anything...

My Starcraft disc is in fine shape because I always keep good care of my discs and I also use a mini-image whenever I have the opportunity, it's easier to manage disc images than the real thing for me so if you could explain what you did step by step or if you have any messenger contact me...

I'm also playing the original Starcraft for the first time and I'm about to finish the Zerg campaign, then once I finish the Protoss campaign I'll move on to Broodwar I have to finish before Starcraft 2 is released...

Last edited by kalas; 16-08-2007 at 23:00. Reason: removed warez link
Old 17-08-2007   #13
Legal Senior Admin

Since Starcraft isn't copy protected, there's no reason that you can't just make an image with any old settings and then mount the image to run the game. One issue that may apply is that since it's an old game it may be that it will only run from the rom with the lowest drive letter. If so, you may need to re-assign drive letters to run the game from an image.
Old 17-08-2007   #14
New on Forum

I'll let you test your theories, if they work then I'll do the same...

'til then I'm going to stick to what I know...
Old 05-07-2008   #15
New on Forum

Have you tried this:

You are here: StarCraftTechnical supportCD/CD-Rom Issues
Print solution Report website error
How can I play the game without the CD in my CD drive?

First, please make sure that you have the latest patch installed. You can either connect to Battle.net to download the patch automatically, or you download the patch manually from here.

Once the game is patched, please use the following instructions for your operating system.

Windows Users:
- Make sure you have "Hide extensions for known types" unchecked. To do this please use the following steps:
- Click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer
- Click on Tools -> Folder options (Windows Vista users may have to press the Alt key to see the tools option at the top of the window)
- Click on the View Tab In the list, look for the "Hide extensions for known file types" option, and make sure that it is unchecked.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- Now you will need to copy some files from the Game CDs
- If you own only StarCraft, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft CD to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "StarCraft.mpq".
- If you own StarCraft: Brood War, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft: Brood War CD to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "BroodWar.mpq". If you wish to play the StarCraft original missions then please copy and rename the install file from the original StarCraft CD as well, as listed directly above.

Mac users:
- If you own only StarCraft, copy "StarCraft Archive" from the StarCraft CD to your StarCraft folder.
- If you own StarCraft: Brood War, copy "Brood War Archive" from the StarCraft: Brood War CD to your StarCraft folder. If you wish to play the StarCraft original missions then please copy the Starcraft Archive file from the original StarCraft CD as well, as listed directly above.

Solution ID: 22694
Article URL: 'http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=22694&categoryId=2615&parentCategoryId=2612&pageNumber=1'

http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...2&pageNumber=1
bluelabel is offline   Reply With Quote