Old 10-11-2003   #1
New on Forum

Making a copy protected VCD

Hi,

before any accusations of hypocrisy... the reason I'm burning copy protected vcds is because I don't want people to be making copies of these discs and selling them, because I myself have no intention of doing that. All I want is for the people I lend it to is to enjoy the shows, and not take advantage of the situation to make a profit.

So, could someone give me a step-by-step guide to burning a copy-protected VCD against windows explorer and popular cd-copy programs, while still being able to play on a standalone vcd/dvd player? Thank you.
oli84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003   #2
CDFreaks Resident

In a word - I don't think it's possible. Even if you could make a multisession for PC use, that would not stop copying, and anything out of spec would almost certainly stop dvd players from recognising the disc.
icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2003   #3
New on Forum

There's One Way

There's one way. Create a Cue/Bin image of your VCD, then use freelock to change the cue.

The Result will be a CD with 95 min and with several mode1/mode2/audio tracks at the end of the cd.

Write the cd untill it gives you an error... And thats all

the error it's because he can't writte 95 min, but the toc stays with 95 min and the cd stays protected.

I've tested in my pioneer DVD Player and in other DVD Players and also in my Computer and it's 100% ok

Just try...
IzNoGoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2003   #4
New on Forum

have you tried copying out the .DAT file out of the vcd that you've created? because I'm not sure if freelock protects against windows explorer simply copying that file out and just converting it back into .MPG format.

Also try SafeVCD 3.0 from www.thaidv.net, however it prevents Windows from actually reading the disc. This means only standalone vcd players can use discs protected with this prog.
Old 17-11-2003   #5
New on Forum

Yes, and you're right, but i bypassed it adding bad sectors to the end of the CD with cdmage,
i've imported sectores from the freelock damaged file and add them to the end of the cd ex: 1 sector at end-300 sectores and + 2 or 3 sectores at end-250.
That way the copy stays 100% protected, i've tried fast error skip and other option in clonecd and alcohol120% and couldn't copy the CD.

I dont' know that program SafeVCD. But i'm sure that it's a good alternative.

but in case you want to backup again your VCD, i don't advise to add bad sectors.

P.S: If The bad sectors are placed in the end of the movie or as i usaly do in the end of the second cd, the movie works fine, no stops or other kind of errors...
Old 17-11-2003   #6
New on Forum

IzNoGoud,

So you have been able to keep it PC and standalone playable, while preventing it from being copied?

Could you tell me how you did it step by step? That would be greatly appreciated.

And I have no intention of backing up my VCDs so bad sectors aren't a problem at all for me.

Thanks!
Old 17-11-2003   #7
New on Forum

Yes, plays in both PC and standalone DVD Player.

Ok here it goes step by step:

1º: Download and Freelock to a floppy disk and execute it, you'll need a floppy disk to install freelock. Then you run genlock from the floppy, it will ask you to create a file with errors on drive (C), just press C to create freelock.dat

2º: Create a CUE/BIN image of your VCD/SVCD with simple name ex: (Aeiou) and not (aadadd aasasa aa)

3º:when you use scandisk you'll need to create the bad file again

4º:then execute freelock /o NameOfTheCue.CUE the dsk it's now boosted to 95min

5º: Download CDMage and open the cue... Read the info on the right pane in the end.sector

6º: import 1 or 2 sectors from c:\freelock.dat to the end sector -300 ex:if says 313.561 you go to action menu, choose import sector and put 313.261 then you repeat this step but at end.sector -150 and with 3 sectores instead of 1.

You'll have to try this 6º step because i don't do this quite a while and you can try with several ranges of sectors.

7º: write the cue in CDRwin, it will give you an error when the recording is complete. Just remove the cd from the recorder and put it on your player, if he doesn't detect it you must review the distance and the number of bad sectores to insert; you'll nedd only to check this once, when you got it right you just write the distances and the number of bad sector into a paper and apply to the rest of the movies.

8: This cd will not be detected in Recording hardware, so if you want to do this you must use the /m /o option in freelock

That's it.
Old 17-11-2003   #8
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by IzNoGoud

1º: Download and Freelock to a floppy disk and execute it, you'll need a floppy disk to install freelock. Then you run genlock from the floppy, it will ask you to create a file with errors on drive (C), just press C to create freelock.dat

2º: Create a CUE/BIN image of your VCD/SVCD with simple name ex: (Aeiou) and not (aadadd aasasa aa)

3º:when you use scandisk you'll need to create the bad file again

4º:then execute freelock /o NameOfTheCue.CUE the dsk it's now boosted to 95min

5º: Download CDMage and open the cue... Read the info on the right pane in the end.sector

6º: import 1 or 2 sectors from c:\freelock.dat to the end sector -300 ex:if says 313.561 you go to action menu, choose import sector and put 313.261 then you repeat this step but at end.sector -150 and with 3 sectores instead of 1.

You'll have to try this 6º step because i don't do this quite a while and you can try with several ranges of sectors.

7º: write the cue in CDRwin, it will give you an error when the recording is complete. Just remove the cd from the recorder and put it on your player, if he doesn't detect it you must review the distance and the number of bad sectores to insert; you'll nedd only to check this once, when you got it right you just write the distances and the number of bad sector into a paper and apply to the rest of the movies.

8: This cd will not be detected in Recording hardware, so if you want to do this you must use the /m /o option in freelock

That's it.
Thanks I can't do this yet now though, as I just found out yesterday that my floppy drive died... maybe from not using it enough

For now though I have some questions about your method:

When you say scandisk, is this the actual windows scandisk function? Or is this the "scan for errors" option in CDmage?

I've been playing around with CDmage, but the "import sector" option is grayed out. How do I get that working?

What do you mean by the cd not being detected in recording hardware? Also how does that relate to the /m and /o options in freelock? /m when used with /o makes only audio files added.

Sorry I am asking all these stupid questions, but I can't play around with the program yet because of that floppy drive.

Last edited by oli84; 17-11-2003 at 20:18.
Old 18-11-2003   #9
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by oli84
Thanks I can't do this yet now though, as I just found out yesterday that my floppy drive died... maybe from not using it enough

For now though I have some questions about your method:

When you say scandisk, is this the actual windows scandisk function? Or is this the "scan for errors" option in CDmage?

I've been playing around with CDmage, but the "import sector" option is grayed out. How do I get that working?

What do you mean by the cd not being detected in recording hardware? Also how does that relate to the /m and /o options in freelock? /m when used with /o makes only audio files added.

Sorry I am asking all these stupid questions, but I can't play around with the program yet because of that floppy drive.
yes windows scandisk, if you use it on the drive (C) it will fix the freelock.dat file and you'll need to create a new one.

in cdmage you need to open a cue/bin image to import sectors...

/o extends the cd to 95min
/m adds tracks only in mode 2

if you don't use /m when you put the cd in your CDRw Drive the CD it's not detected, but if you put it in a CDRom the cd it's detected

if you use /m you can read it in your CDRw Drive...
Old 19-11-2003   #10
New on Forum

Thanks. I've finally gotten my VCD copy-protected while still being compatible with PC and soon to be tested, standalone player.

When you test the VCD on Windows Media Player and reads over the bad sectors that you imported from freelock.dat, will Media Player give you a message that there was an error reading the CD?

This doesn't bother me since its at the end of the file anyway, but I just wanted to know if that happens to you.
Old 19-11-2003   #11
Former Moderator

I suspect CloneCD can copy if youuse this method.

Try some techniques here:
http://tzcopyprotection.cjb.net/

They can prob do more damage that even CCD wont be able to copy unless a very experienced and advanced user tries.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz running Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler CWCH50
Intel BOXDZ77GA70K LGA 1155 Intel Z77 motherboard
Corsair DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB)
ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
SAMSUNG 840 Pro 512GB Series MZ-7PD512BW
WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Pioneer BD-RW BDR-206D
when needed...
Lite-On LTR-52246S 6S0F (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
Lite-On JLMS XJ-HD166S DS1C (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
NEC 3500AG 2.TC Quiet (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
Lite-On SOHW 1673S JS07 (via USB 2.0 to IDE)

Found a Solution here helpful? Like the forum's?
Well then, what are you waiting for JOIN NOW!!!
xtacydima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2003   #12
New on Forum

sometimes happens, but only if i put the bad sectors to close to eachother.

Bypass this protection. I've a plextor, i've tried in several ways, without the bad sectors i can backup it with a little secret of my own. But with bad sectores i can't... except if you don't bother to stay with an incomplete VCD...
Old 26-08-2005   #13
New on Forum

Re: Making a copy protected VCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzNoGoud

1º: Download and Freelock to a floppy disk ..........
You'll have to try this 6º step because i don't do this quite a while and you can try with several ranges of sectors..........
That's it.

hi dear friend ...

Iam trying find a active link to download SafeVCD.
Iam actually trying to protect vcds, i tried using freelock 1.3 but when i try the /m or /o command after my image path it says freelock.dat missing
so can anyone help me with either of these.
also I have the same problem about cdmage program to open CUE file made by Alcohol120% ...
Infact the image ( cue file ) is made by VCD file , will be mode2 automatically !!! and when i try to open cue by cdmage it says there is error in line one !!!

I faced the same problem to make a vcd protected by your mentioned programs ...
would you please inform me by e-mail if you succeed to work with freelock without no error or other programs ( my address : elegance60@gmail.com )

also I'm looking for "SafeVCD 3.0" ...
Someone said it s possible to download from http://www.thaidv.net , but it doesn't work ! :-(

Is there any active link to download it ?

waiting for your reply .
Thanks alot
Birak .
birak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005   #14
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by birak
hi dear friend ...

Iam trying find a active link to download SafeVCD.
Iam actually trying to protect vcds, i tried using freelock 1.3 but when i try the /m or /o command after my image path it says freelock.dat missing
so can anyone help me with either of these.
also I have the same problem about cdmage program to open CUE file made by Alcohol120% ...
Infact the image ( cue file ) is made by VCD file , will be mode2 automatically !!! and when i try to open cue by cdmage it says there is error in line one !!!

I faced the same problem to make a vcd protected by your mentioned programs ...
would you please inform me by e-mail if you succeed to work with freelock without no error or other programs ( my address : elegance60@gmail.com )

also I'm looking for "SafeVCD 3.0" ...
Someone said it s possible to download from http://www.thaidv.net , but it doesn't work ! :-(

Is there any active link to download it ?

waiting for your reply .
Thanks alot
Birak .
you must create freelock with a floppy disk and place the freelock.dat on the hdd, you can't do scandisk or else the errors are corrected, you must specify the path of freelock.dat, see the "switches" of freelock.
About the cue, it's very simple just edit the .cue file with notepad, and it probably has a mention the a drive "c:\example.bin" you remove the "c:\" in the line of the .cue, staying only the filename.

I do it without any kind of errors, if you're having problems please contact me at scrooge_mcdk@hotmail.com

[[]]
Nelson Gaspar
Old 26-08-2005   #15
New on Forum

Can you still copy & paste the *.dat file with Explorer? coz i did all the steps, i can't copy the cd with Nero, but still able to copy directly the *.dat movie file with Explorer & IsoBuster.

I got SafeVCD here
http://www.thaidv.net/download.php?o...download&cid=4

When i run it, it looking for these file which i don't have ;
Cue-Nero.com
CallNERO.com
Cue-BR.com
CallBR.com
How to get & what is for that files?

Last edited by La Dima; 26-08-2005 at 21:26.
La Dima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005   #16
New on Forum

I faced to these problems exactly !!!
I downloaded the file twice !!! and it downloaded and extracted without any problem ...
Also you can't find these "com" files by searching in yahoo or google !!!
It seems there is a problem when I run the program because it searches for entioned files and you face a blanking DOS screen that shows please wait and nothing happens !!!
Hope someone who has used this software can guide me ...
I just downloaded the program safeVCD without any problem ( the zip file is 7.62MB ) and run it to make protected VCD ...
I installed blindwrite too ...
But when i run safevcd3.exe , and when I push strong protection , I face to a DOS page and error says :
Where is Cue-BR.com ?
And when I choose CueBR from the program folder and push open , it asks again :
Where is CallBR.com ?!!!!
I don't know what shoud I choose ! But when I choose another file , thenafter nothing happens !!!
Just there is a MS-DOS mode window that shows blanking !!! :
CREATING IMAGE FILE ......... PLEASE WAIT .........!!!!
But nothing happens !
My original VCD in ready in cd drive , but it doesn't make any CUE file or it doesn't make any image !
After running of SafeVCD , it is looking for COM files :
Cue-BR.com and CallBR.com ,
but there is not such files in the downloaded file safevcd.zip ...
If you have such files , would you please send them by e-mail to my address :
elegance60@gmail.com
Thanks so much
Birak.
Old 27-08-2005   #17
New on Forum

"but still able to copy directly the *.dat movie file with Explorer & IsoBuster.
"

If you place the sectors closer to eachother you will not be able to copy the .dat with the explorer, but for that you must also see what is the beginning and ending sector of the .dat (Use Cdmage) and apply the bad sector at the end of the .dat file.

[[]]
Nelson Gaspar
Old 27-08-2005   #18
CD Freaks Member

@IzNoGoud:

Q: Have you managed to protect a VCD image (CCD) using CCD-Lock 1.7.5 ?
As it detects my image as vcd but I'm not able ot press the lock button... It's grey. Could you please test that ?
MateuszMiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005   #19
New on Forum

I think CCD-Lock only protects VCD Standart and not SVCD, i've tried SVCD and the button it's grey, i haven't got time to test on VCD, so if you can, try with a VCD.
Old 30-08-2005   #20
New on Forum

Same here

The button is grey too, and its vcd not svcd.
@IzNoGoud
What version of CloneCD do you have?
Old 30-08-2005   #21
New on Forum

Dear friends !

I checked CCD-Lock 1.7.5 ( last version ) in Win 98 , Win Me and also Win XP , with strandard VCD images made by clone CD ...
In all cases it says " The ccd file loaded succesfully ! ready to protect ! " after it scans and import the ccd file ! ... but the Luck button is NOT ACTIVE !
It seems to be a joke not to be real active software ! Or it may be as like as beta versions ( EX, autocad 2004 beta version that you can draw your maps without any problem , but at last the "save" button is grey and NOT active , and you have to purchase the main program !!! )
Is there anyone in the world who made at least ONE protected Video CD by alllllll versions of CCD-Lock ?!!!!!

Also about Safe VCD , it sounds GREATTTTTTTTT !
But when you face to the mentioed errors of Mr "La Dima" , you will be confused to say if it can do something or just a joke too !!!

Regarding using freelock ...
I succeeded to make a 95 min cue file by free lock at last !
But When I use CDmage to add bad sectors , the "import button" in action menu is always grey !
Also the 5th step of TZCopy doesn't work for mode2 images at all !!! and step 3 solves nothing because the VCD can be coppied by clone CD in a minute !

SO......
What's the solution ?!!
I think the best way will be merging a useless video file to the end of your main dat file ( with video editor programs like adobe premiere or ifilm edit ...) for example the main dat file + merged 10 minutes of useless movie ! ... Only ONE track must be used to make this VCD , then it can't be coppied to the HDD by explorer either !!!
Thenafter you write your VCD , and use a knife to damage the LAST tracks of the CD !
In such case the VCD file can be veiwed easily and it hangs when it reach to the end of the dat file ...
You can imagine a laser Lock in such case !
Then you can rest , relax and watch your protected VCD and laugh to all softwares that are not able to protect any VCD ! :-)

Regards
Birak .
Old 30-08-2005   #22
CDFreaks Resident

Step 1: Burn a VCD.
Step 2: Go find something sharp, like an AWL or an ICE PICK.
Step 3: GOUGE THE LIVING FUCK OUT OF THE CD.

Viola! Copy protected.

Other than this, no there is no way. Anyone with half a brain and a copy of CloneCD can just copy it regardless of whatever else you try to do to it.
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2005   #23
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurm
Step 1: Burn a VCD.
Step 2: Go find something sharp, like an AWL or an ICE PICK.
Step 3: GOUGE THE LIVING FUCK OUT OF THE CD.

Viola! Copy protected.
Nice - but someone with a half of brain will notice that its not a protection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurm
Other than this, no there is no way. Anyone with half a brain and a copy of CloneCD can just copy it regardless of whatever else you try to do to it.

CloneCD isn't so smart as he thinks. Its possible to cheat CloneCD to not to copy the real CD/VCD contents.

Also have you tried maybe SoftLock VCD protection ? And have you managed to extract the .dat file via explorer or isobuster? Well, you can try but you will not have a good result - and there are no read errors applied to the .dat file.
But sure - SoftLock VCD can be copied by CloneCD.
Old 30-08-2005   #24
New on Forum

Quote:
Regarding using freelock ...
I succeeded to make a 95 min cue file by free lock at last !
But When I use CDmage to add bad sectors , the "import button" in action menu is always grey !
Since i don't want to waste a disc, i do this ;

Use Nero Image Recorder to make vcd image.nrg file.
Use Daemon tool to load the .nrg image.
I use CDRWin 3.9c to extract the disc to make bin & cue file.
Now load the the cue file with CDMage, fill it with bad sector from freelock.dat like said by IzNoGoud.
Place the bad sectors closer to eachother in the end of the dat.
Use Freelock to "Lock" the vcd.
Burn it with CDRwin.

It working here...
Old 30-08-2005   #25
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Dima
Since i don't want to waste a disc, i do this ;

Use Nero Image Recorder to make vcd image.nrg file.
Use Daemon tool to load the .nrg image.
I use CDRWin 3.9c to extract the disc to make bin & cue file.
Now load the the cue file with CDMage, fill it with bad sector from freelock.dat like said by IzNoGoud.
Place the bad sectors closer to eachother in the end of the dat.
Use Freelock to "Lock" the vcd.
Burn it with CDRwin.

It working here...
And does it prevent isobuster from extracting the second track from the VCD ?
I think not.