Old 02-06-2004   #1
New on Forum

DVD bit-for-bit copies

I have a question about DVDs and bit-for-bit copies. I'm under the impression that making a bit-for-bit copy from a DVD to a DVD-R is impossible because DVD-Rs have the CSS sectors pre-recorded. Is this true?

If so, would it be possible for a company to produce DVD-Rs without pre-recorded sectors? Heck, call them DVBs (Digital Video Backups) if they won't let you use the DVD name.

Thanks.
joeljkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004   #2
CDFreaks Resident

Re: DVD bit-for-bit copies

Wrong forum.

If you use AnyDVD, you can copy your title.
www.slysoft.com

Also I strongly suggest using CloneDVD2 because of its ease of use.
www.elby.ch

Both of these used together are the best way .

HTH
nForce something-or-other, 2 HDD 300gb RAID

click here to join cdfreaks

Never forget your ABCD,
Alcohol 120%, BlindWrite,
CloneCD, Daemon Tools
merther02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004   #3
New on Forum

I'm not sure you understood what I was trying to say.

I'm talking about a bit-for-bit copy, like the UNIX 'dd' command gives you. A direct, exact, copy. AnyDVD decodes it, which shouldn't be necessary, since you'd just be copying scrambled content from one disc to another. CloneDVD2 compresses it, which isn't bit-for-bit, and results in a different product than what you started with.

I'm asking about starting with an encrypted DVD, running "make exact copy", and end up with another exact encrypted copy of that DVD.
Old 03-06-2004   #4
Author of D-Tools Add-on Utilities

It should be possible to make an encrypted image of a dvd, although you can't burn css to dvd.
Old 03-06-2004   #5
CDFreaks Resident

AnyDVD is fine, so what if it de-scrambles CSS, it still makes a decent copy.
nForce something-or-other, 2 HDD 300gb RAID

click here to join cdfreaks

Never forget your ABCD,
Alcohol 120%, BlindWrite,
CloneCD, Daemon Tools
merther02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004   #6
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andareed
It should be possible to make an encrypted image of a dvd, although you can't burn css to dvd.
Exactly. I'm wondering why you can't burn CSS to a DVD-R[W]. Is it because those sectors are pre-written on the blank media? Read my initial post again.
Old 03-06-2004   #7
New on Forum

Right, the sectors are pre-written. (or just plane are not manufactured, I'm not sure, in any case you cannot write to them)

In theory you are right, someone could make a recordable DVD with those sectors, and then you could copy the disk. However I suspect that some/most dvd recorders will not write to those sectors even if you ask them too. The frimware likely has protection against doing something "illegal" like that. (illegal as in it violates specs, if you own the copyright it is obviously legal)
bluGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004   #8
Optical storage technical expert

> If so, would it be possible for a company to produce DVD-Rs without pre-
> recorded sectors? Heck, call them DVBs (Digital Video Backups) if they won't
> let you use the DVD name.

They called them DVD+R.
spath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #9

Non-Profit Dilemma

Forgive me, I'm not techie, but I work for an EMS Non-Profit (We help educate of EMTs). We recently produced an educational video and made a few (6) DVD copies for running classes and now several of the squads (55) would like copies for keeping. Normally we have access to a fancy machine that copies the DVDs, but it is down, we don't have money to replace it right now and print companies won't do less than 1,000 copies. In the meantime, I've split the video in four parts and put it on our website, but in our rural areas they just can't play it (some are still running dial up connections).
Reader's digest: we own the material, we need to copy the DVD. What is my best bet for software? (please break it down ID10T style) Remembering that we are a non profit so we don't need the cadillac, just something that does the job (read as inexpensive, not cheap). Thank you so much!
jmsmith634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsmith634 View Post
Forgive me, I'm not techie, but I work for an EMS Non-Profit (We help educate of EMTs). We recently produced an educational video and made a few (6) DVD copies for running classes and now several of the squads (55) would like copies for keeping. Normally we have access to a fancy machine that copies the DVDs, but it is down, we don't have money to replace it right now and print companies won't do less than 1,000 copies. In the meantime, I've split the video in four parts and put it on our website, but in our rural areas they just can't play it (some are still running dial up connections).
Reader's digest: we own the material, we need to copy the DVD. What is my best bet for software? (please break it down ID10T style) Remembering that we are a non profit so we don't need the cadillac, just something that does the job (read as inexpensive, not cheap). Thank you so much!

Well for free there is DVDShrink it is a older program no longer support but will copy older dvd probably before 2000 and Imgburn a free burning program both of which are free but will not work on new CSS protected dvd.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsmith634 View Post
If this is in dvd-video format, and there is no advanced encryption, DVDShrink will be able to make a copy for you. If the dvd is pressed (commercially made) and is larger than 4.3gb in size, DVDShrink will compress it to fit onto a blank, single layer recordable dvd. If it is already small enough to fit, no compression will be applied.

Here is a complete guide for using the program: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...dvd_shrink.cfm

Once you have a copy on the hard drive, you can use ImgBurn to burn to a disc.

If there is absolutely no copy protection on the original disc, and it is already small enough to fit onto a single layer dvd, then the whole thing becomes much easier. You can use ImgBurn to make an ISO file of the original disc, then burn the ISO to a new disc.
Here are the instructions on how to copy the disc to an ISO: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6379
And the instructions on burning an ISO: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #12

Thank you!

Wow, I was expecting to pay 100 USD or more. Thank you, I downloaded it and it worked like a dream- so easy I could use it! I guess we don't use that kind of protection when we make the movies.
Old 10-01-2013   #13
MyCE Resident

Did you use DVDShrink or were you able to do it all with ImgBurn ?
Old 10-01-2013   #14

Imgburn.
Old 10-01-2013   #15
MyCE Resident

Thanks for answering. I like most of the members use ImgBurn regularly.