Old 25-02-2004   #1
New on Forum

CD-ROM Requires disc to be in CD-ROM Drive. How to Run from Hard Drive, won't work!!

Hi,

I own a CD-ROM that keeps requiring the CD-ROM to be inside the CD-ROM drive, even though I copied the disc to the hard drive and then did the instalation from the hard drive. I tried renaming the directory on the hard drive the same as the volume label of the CD-ROM... I give up!! Anyone know how I can get it to run without the CD-ROM in a CD Drive???

Thanks!
Health Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2004   #2
Retired Senior Admin

Step 1
http://forum.cdfreaks.com/announceme...?s=&forumid=79

Step 2
http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread...threadid=76916

Step 3
http://forum.cdfreaks.com/forumdispl...ne=&forumid=79
Who Are YOU?
FutureProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2004   #3
CDFreaks Resident

Hey mate, what CD/Game/Software are you talking about? It could(and probably does) have copy protection!

And did you make an image of the cd or just copy and pasted the contents of the CD to the hard drive?

Version 1 is now released! You can get it here.

In it you can learn about SafeDisc, SecuROM and heaps of other protections and learn on how to defeat them. Also you can take a look at some of my various tutorials in it and some frequently asked questions asked. Plus heaps more!
Enjoy!
$CyBeRwIz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2004   #4
New on Forum

It is radiology software... I didn't make an image. I was going to use EAC, but I guess that is just for audio? In any case, it keeps telling me to insert the CD-ROM, even though I copied it to the hard drive and then installed from the copy on the hard drive. Would making an image help? Or would it still look for the CD-ROM drive? Someone I know mentioned a product called "virtual drive" but I know there must be something easier than that.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 26-02-2004   #5
CDFreaks Resident

OK. I'll explain it.

A virtual drive is a program that acts as a real CD-ROM drive, and even Windows Explorer sees it as a real CD-ROM drive. It is easy to install and remove, and a couple of programs have it built in. The virtual drive uses images instead of CD's, and the images are copys of the entire CD built into one large file. Many programs can create images, but only a few can create an image that can handle copy protection. But since your CD probably doesn't have any copy protection, a simple free program like IsoBuster will do the trick. To have a virtual drive, Alcohol 120% and CloneCD has it, but Daemon Tools is free and does the job good.

Good Luck!!!

In it you can learn about SafeDisc, SecuROM and heaps of other protections and learn on how to defeat them. Also you can take a look at some of my various tutorials in it and some frequently asked questions asked. Plus heaps more!
Enjoy!
Old 26-02-2004   #6
New on Forum

Quote:
only a few can create an image that can handle copy protection
Just in case I need that, because I heard a couple in this series are protected... what should I get to handle that?

Thanks again!
Old 26-02-2004   #7
CDFreaks Resident

It depends on the protection and what hardware you have. A good all-round choice would be Alcohol 120%, taking into account that you only want to image, not burn. That also has a built in Virtual Drive and many othre handy features.

Enjoy!
Old 26-02-2004   #8
Retired Senior Admin

Hmmm...is this post, above, invisible? Health Nut work your way through the links.
Who Are YOU?

Last edited by FutureProof; 26-02-2004 at 11:13.
Old 26-02-2004   #9
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally posted by FutureProof
Hmmm...is this post, above, invisible? Work your way through the links.
*Gasps* They Appeared right before my eyes!!!!!!!!

Direct help.

Enjoy!
Old 07-03-2004   #10
New on Forum

run from HD

Other way to run from HD

try these in following order.

1. Copy entire Cd contents to HD, do not install
remove CD, try running all executables on HD to get game to start. If this fails go on

2. Use install program from HD and install to same directory.
sometimes this may not work because install program tries to install files onto itself, sometimes installing into another folder
works, Ex. c:\games\jonah\"setup or install or some other name not used"

If still not working contents of folder may need to be deleted and recopied, then a combination of things can be attempted, not all combos work, you just have to try different configs.

try editing autorun.ini or autostart.ini

example.

[autorun]
open = games\jonah\autorun.exe
icon = games\jonah\vtjcd.ico
or
open = c:\games\jonah\autorun.exe
icon = c:\games\jonah\vtjcd.ico

shell\directx=Install DirectX 8.0
shell\directx\command=DirectX\dxsetup.exe

editing other .ini files may work, such as engine.ini

If none of these work, editing the registry might do it,
but I will not attempt to cover that.
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004   #11
CDFreaks Resident

For most game CDs that above attempt would be futile, as when a game looks for the CD it checks for copy protection, just creating a folder would be not good enough. Secondly, the game wsa MEANT to be played from a CD only, and without making an image onto the hard drive, that method would be quite hard to do. It's not a matter of just changing the directory of where it looks, you would have to modify the whole program so it looks in just that folder. Creating an image to a hard drive is SO much easier.

Enjoy!
Old 07-03-2004   #12
Retired Senior Admin

Hello royal, welcome to the forum. This will work for games that are a lump of files on the CD but not for a Yellow Book CD with ISO-9660 file format.
Who Are YOU?
Old 07-03-2004   #13
CDFreaks Resident

Yep, that will work, as long as the program doesn't look for a CD, or it is just files.

Enjoy!