Old 13-12-2005   #1
New on Forum

can macrovision protection in VHS be deactivated?

I have tons of movies and interviews in VHS and have converted some into DVDs. However, some others will give me this message saying that VHS cannot be ripped due to macrovision protection. I know that there's a device you can install connecting the VCR to my computer, which filters and disables the protection. However, I don't intend to buy such device since I'm not into the "copying business" but I do want to get rid of the old VHS, especially because they're losing quality.
Is there some way to burn the DVDs by disabling the protection through software?
Also, another problem I've found. I got to copy one of the VHSs and captured the video into an mpg file so that I could burn it into a DVD. The file is as big as 4.3Gb, but when I asked it to be converted and burn the DVD I got a message saying that Roxio Media Creator (the software I use) could not deal with files bigger that 4GB and consequently was not able to do it.
The only solution I found was to burn it into a DVD but as a mpg file by changing parameters in the Media Creator (Joliet... or something), but then I can't get to watch it on a DVD player, but only on my PC.
Can you guys shed some light on these two problems I'm having?
Thanks,
Gus
Gusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005   #2
New on Forum

Re: can macrovision protection in VHS be deactivated?

Anyone?
Please, help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusboy
I have tons of movies and interviews in VHS and have converted some into DVDs. However, some others will give me this message saying that VHS cannot be ripped due to macrovision protection. I know that there's a device you can install connecting the VCR to my computer, which filters and disables the protection. However, I don't intend to buy such device since I'm not into the "copying business" but I do want to get rid of the old VHS, especially because they're losing quality.
Is there some way to burn the DVDs by disabling the protection through software?
Also, another problem I've found. I got to copy one of the VHSs and captured the video into an mpg file so that I could burn it into a DVD. The file is as big as 4.3Gb, but when I asked it to be converted and burn the DVD I got a message saying that Roxio Media Creator (the software I use) could not deal with files bigger that 4GB and consequently was not able to do it.
The only solution I found was to burn it into a DVD but as a mpg file by changing parameters in the Media Creator (Joliet... or something), but then I can't get to watch it on a DVD player, but only on my PC.
Can you guys shed some light on these two problems I'm having?
Thanks,
Gus
Gusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005   #3
MyCE Resident

Re: can macrovision protection in VHS be deactivated?

You could try feeding the VCR into a TV and use the TV out into your computer. This works with some sets.
MysticEyes is offline   Reply With Quote