Old 06-03-2008   #1
New on Forum

VIA VT6421A SATA PCI Card Jumpers

My VIA PCI 6421A card was bought off ebay. It came with no manual.

This is what it looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/eSata-Sata-RAI.../dp/B001118UEU

Does have a manual that explains how to set the jumpers ?

I can only use 1 of the internal SATA ports and im sure the jumpers enable the other ports.
redserpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: VIA VT6421A SATA PCI Card Jumpers

This card is available from a number of sellers. If it came with a software CD, look for a manual on the CD. IF there is none, look for another seller or website where a manual is available for download.
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #3
New on Forum

Yeah lots of places sell it but the manual is always on CD and never online. My CD doesnt contain any manual only drivers (ive looked at the enitre CD).
redserpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009   #4
MyCE Resident

I JUST got this card a few days ago myself, I've seen the jumpers mentioned about other cards like it based on the searches I've done. I did find out the top SATA and the external port are shared and that was what the jumper was supposed to be for, enabling the port you wanted to use and disabling the extra one.
I found with mine that the bottom internal port and the external one will work by themselves, the top one must be disabled by default as it never works or crashes the machine when all three are used. I don't have a jumper, or even a pad for one that I can find so so far I'm just barely stretching the one SATA cable till it reaches the outside port through the open non used card slot.
I also ran into many problems getting 2 DVDRW drives to work together, and Samsung and Western Digital drives are known to have issues with it's via chipset.
My S203b will work by itself on the outside port but when I also hooked up my LG h62l it would stop burning 1/4 into the burn and keep burning nothing till a hard reboot, same with a H22n with the 62. I finally tried my new NEC 7420 and the h62l togther and they seem to both burn and play nice.
The card is very picky anyways so unless you have a bunch of non samsung burners to try and some time probably best to try a better card with a SIL chipset of some flavor, less picky.
So far the IDE part has worked ok since I found two drives that are happy with each other on the SATA ports.
If anybody does find where the mystery jumper are located or were supposed to be I'd love to know as well.
Dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009   #5
NBR
MyCE Resident

a little off topic but...

im surprised that someone is actually using the 'VIA 6421' for anything other than XBox360 flashing because that's what that chipset is typically bought online for.

because i have one myself but 'so far' i dont use it for anything besides updating the firmware on my XBox360's DVD-ROM drive.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009   #6
MyCE Resident

I bought it because my new board shorted me 2 SATA ports and a IDE port that my older board had and I wanted to put the drives I had to remove back in. It was available locally for very cheap and I kinda forgot all the issues I had with a previous VIA based board that wouldn't even properly load XP onto my new, at the time, Seagate SATA 320 gig drive I bought for that upgrade. I ended up trading that board back in and got a Nforce 4 939 with a Dual core 4600 that still works fine except for the extra memory slots being picky.
Since I found the 2 drives that seem to work together so far it's been OK, but if you don't have 2 drives that will it will be a problem. I'd take it back but it seems to do what I want now, all I wanted to do was add the 2 removed burners and a old IDE hard drive so I could access the data as needed.
Mine has no jumpers at all, no mention of them on the HTML useless manual thats on the CD, and no mention that only 2 of the 3 SATA ports can be used at a time. If you know of another card that can do 3 SATA drives without issues and a IDE port for around 20 I can get locally I might still take it back, I'm in the states, west coast.
Old 04-04-2009   #7
Senior Moderator

[QUOTE=Dartman;2250369]
Quote:
If you know of another card that can do 3 SATA drives without issues and a IDE port for around 20 I can get locally I might still take it back, I'm in the states, west coast.
3 Sata + 2 Pata is hard, really.
But I must admit, most Sata+Pata controller cards are based on Via chipset.
There is one exception:
Promise SATA300 TX2plus with 2 Sata and one Pata connector.
I own the onboard version of its predecessor (Sata II 150). My 203B works nicely there, but the Pata part had issues with optical drives. Seems, this was improved with the new version.

From Promise product website:
Quote:
Supports Serial ATAPI devices
and
Quote:
SATA300 TX2plus also supports parallel ATAPI devices.
Sounds good.

55 USD @Newegg.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009   #8
MyCE Resident

Well thanks for that one, it's about double the price of this little card but some places still have it in stock. I may give it a try later when work picks up again.
It is hard to find cards that properly support optical drives, and everyone is getting rid of IDE support
I'm liking SATA better now that I've mostly retired my IDE drives but I still like having the option to run as many and whatever I want, which it seems the manufacturers are also going away from.
My last board had 8 SATA ports, 2 IDE, 8 USB, 2 1394 and 2 PCIX ports for SLI of ATI vidoe cards. It had pretty much everything I might ever need in large quantities. My new board has 6 SATA, 1 ESATA, 1 IDE, 8 USB, but 2 can't be used as ports are blocked by video card. 2 1394 ports and 4 PCIX ports for quad SLI, like any normal users will ever use 4 I guess lan parties and gamers rule now, not hardcore enthusiast with massive tower cases and tons of Hard drives and burners to play with.
Old 13-07-2009   #9
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by redserpent View Post

http://www.amazon.com/eSata-Sata-RAI.../dp/B001118UEU

I can only use 1 of the internal SATA ports and im sure the jumpers enable the other ports.
There are 2 jumper blocks J1 and J2 with a pair of jumpers in each block. Initially from the factory all jumpers are set to connect pin 2 to pin 3 - all up. This sets all SATA connectors to be internal and eSATA is disabled. To enable eSATA port, change all jumpers to be down, shorting pin 1 to pin 2 (on all 4 jumpers). This will disable the internal SATA connector closest to the eSATA connector.

I hope this helps.
P.S. VIA site is offering driver 5.80c at time of writing.
foxnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009   #10
New on Forum

I just got one for $10 (with S&H) from RedTagTown.com aka WowParts - it seems to go for $17.50 plus S&H generally.

There is a picture of the jumper settings with instructions @

http://images.redtagtown.com/rt_020604-02020_link.jpg

The instructions are kind of bizarre - they want you to infibulate the jumper onto the pins but the picture makes it clearer hope this helps
jimmycourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015   #11

Location: Mosquito-Fart, PA (Originally Tottenville, Staten Island, NY)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redserpent View Post

{link removed cuz I'm a n00b and not allowed to post links yet. meh.}

Can't tell ya much about the jumpers, sorry (I think someone else mentioned them though) but I can tell you the place to go for drivers/updates/files/etc. {oops, can't post links yet - message me and I'll link you to them if you need me to.}

It's a web-based ftp 'page' and it's a bit of a pain in the ass, and I can't promise the drivers will work with Win10 (I'm preparing to install it again) Black Friday talked me into finding some amazeballs prices ( Amazon ) on a few 2 and 3TB UltraStar drives...

Now rather than 5 HDs, an SSD, and two DVD-+RW's I've got 3 HD's two SSDs, and two DVD-+RW's and want to use the eSATA port for the 'old' drives (two 2TB WD Greens, a 1TB WD Black, and two 500GB lappy drives) as portables with the kewl desk 'stand' thingy I bought. Ok, I'm talking too much. Just tell me to STFU. *from the crowd* "STFU n00b!!!" Thanks.
Master0fPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote