Old 10-12-2008   #1
New on Forum

UNSOLVABLE... hdd fail?

hey, recently had something go wrong with the mk1237gsx (120G) hdd in my v6000 compaq presario so replaced it with the smaller mk6034gsx(60G) as it was way cheaper and i have external anyways, popped it in and all i got back was the ntldr error on bootup, xp runs on the disk then cant locate hd during setup. it fails the comprehension check on bios with a very informative #2- 07 fail!! so ran independent hdd check... comes back fine. tryed a few other things as well but to no avail. can anyone possible shed some light on this topic im happy to provide more details of the things ive done and symptoms of the prob, cheers guys
peelsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: UNSOLVABLE... hdd fail?

I'm unclear as to how you are/did install the os on this drive. Did you use a windows xp disk? Are you saying that the bios doesn't recognize the drive? If you know the bios make (ami, phoenix, etc.) have you checked to see what the error codes mean? I'm not sure what you mean by "xp runs on the disk but can't locate hd during setup". What disk are you referring to?
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #3
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whappo View Post
I'm unclear as to how you are/did install the os on this drive. Did you use a windows xp disk? Are you saying that the bios doesn't recognize the drive? If you know the bios make (ami, phoenix, etc.) have you checked to see what the error codes mean? I'm not sure what you mean by "xp runs on the disk but can't locate hd during setup". What disk are you referring to?
thanks for replying whappo, the drive i am trying to install an os on is the 60gig as mentioned above, the orginal 120gig is shot, i have at my disposal a xp os disk, a win 98 os disk, a vista recovery disk, an a couple of random boot disks. the laptop is running a phoenix bios version f.27, and yes the bios sees and self tests the hdd, but on the second, more in depth scan it brings up that error code which apparently means hard disk failure im quite sure this is incorrect as one of the independent hdd test cd ive used says that its fine. when i say xp runs on the disk, i mean the xp cd boots up and runs through till it is meant to ask you about where to install xp, or recover previous, or delete partions etc. all i get is 'not hard drive was found.. setup will now exit. grrrrr!

Last edited by peelsa; 11-12-2008 at 12:39. Reason: missed out some info
Old 11-12-2008   #4
MyCE Resident

Is the drive seen in BIOS? You may need to change BIOS settings for BIOS and OS to see it if it's not currently seen in BIOS.
bevills1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #5
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
Is the drive seen in BIOS? You may need to change BIOS settings for BIOS and OS to see it if it's not currently seen in BIOS.
hi bevills thanks for replying cant see hard drive literally in the bios, shows ram, processor etc, summary but yet it is still able to run a hd test, so... go figure, this phoenix bios is the sh#test ive ever seen appears to be no room for modification! all i can really change in it is the time and boot order
Old 12-12-2008   #6
Senior Moderator

Hi,

please check your Bios options if Sata operation is configured as "IDE" or similar.
Otherwise you need a Windows install CD with Sata Controller drivers integrated.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #7
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Hi,

please check your Bios options if Sata operation is configured as "IDE" or similar.
Otherwise you need a Windows install CD with Sata Controller drivers integrated.

Michael
hi michael, bios only allows sata native support,,, enable or disable,and nothing else. my understanding of this is enable for the likes of xp and vista and disable for legacy os's like win 2000 and win 9x. both the busted drive(120gig) and my new one(60gig)are sata drives (or so i thought) i have the xp os disc and the utilities disc to go with it. this have the drivers you are talking about i assume? if so what to do with them? i have nowhere, but i certainly appreciate the assistance. just a tibit,, a guy said that vista(the original os with the comp) will lock onto a hard drive and not allow replacement of it without micro's sayso, to me this sounds like a long tail but i wouldnt put it past microsoft, what do you think?