Old 13-01-2009   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

unable to format SD card

purchased a 4gb sd card recently, planned on using it to store pc data. Windows however, was unable to format the card , wasn't the write protect switch either, it then askes me to insert a writable media into the card reader. in the end i borrowed a digital camera and formatted the card with it, only then did it worked.

the card in my possession is a transcend 4gb sd card. i'm concerned whether there's something wrong with my card or not. please help, many thanks.
ilovecookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: unable to format SD card

What version of Windows? How old is your PC? Once you got it formatted was Windows able to read/write to it? Is it being recognized in My Computer? Do you have any other SD cards or a usb flash drive that have worked?
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009   #3
CD Freaks Rookie

windows vista, e-blue cardreader, yes once the camera formatted it works just fine. there was another oddity to it though, when i format the now camera formatted card using vista's format option, choosing fat32 or ntfs would result in the card refusing to be safely removed; whenever i select "safely remove device" option on the taskbar, windows would give me an error saying "the drive is still in use by another app please close it first" after i had written data into it, HOWEVER when i formatted the card with fat16 i no longer receive anymore of this message and vista always happily removed the device safely for me when i told it to. So what does this all mean?

it was reconized by vista but it kept asking me to insert a recordable device everytime i asked vista to format or drag a file to it ...i've never format the card before either. i was wondering, are all SD cards writable out of the box with just a card reader? sadly i do not possess another new sd card but i'll buy another one soon just to test this out.
Old 13-01-2009   #4
MyCE Resident

Keep in mind that your card reader needs to have SDHC support for it to work
//Danne
DiiZzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009   #5
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiZzY View Post
Keep in mind that your card reader needs to have SDHC support for it to work
//Danne
According to Wikipedia, there are also non-SDHC cards with 4 GB available, but these are not according to the specs, so handling them is kind of gambling.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009   #6
Retired Moderator

I don't know about the e-blue cardreader, but some (older) card readers don't support cards bigger than 2 GB.

The builtin card-reader in my 3½ year-old laptop only supports SD cards up to 2 GB in size with the original driver, and with an unofficial driver upgrade it supports 4 GB SD cards (but not SDHC).

Transcend offers (or has offered) both SD and SDHC cards that are 4 GB.

Have you tried other cards of the same or larger size in that card-reader?

Have you tried your SD(HC) card in another card-reader?
Old 14-01-2009   #7
MyCE Senior Member

Sandisk also has 4GB cards which are not HC I have a sandisk and a transcend for my gps which work.they would only format in FATS 32 on windows xp and are tempormental
Nec 3450A
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B

k9cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009   #8
CD Freaks Rookie

temperamental? as in, it goes dead occasionally? or did you meant the data would disappear overtime?
Old 19-01-2009   #9
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Sandisk also has 4GB cards which are not HC I have a sandisk and a transcend for my gps which work.they would only format in FATS 32 on windows xp and are tempormental
I have Transcend 4Gb SD card and it works fine.

two Scintific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVRs
New home built Asus mainboard,AMD Phenom II X4 3.0Ghz, 8Gb Ram, 2x 1Tb HDD, 2 DVD burners, Sapphire Vapor-x video card.
Acer Aspire 6530G 16" (820Gb total HDD space) on a wireless home network
Asus Eee PC 1000HE 10.1" (upgraded to 2Gb Ram and 320Gb HDD, Asus external DVD burner)
DVD Burners: Liteon: SHW-160P6S, 165H6SLH-20A1P, LH-18A1P; Sony DRU-120C, AWQ170A-B2
DVD Players: Panasonic 2x DVD S52, DVD S1; Philips DVP5140/37DVP642/17, Magnavox MWD200G

Others: WD, Roku, kworld Media Players, Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U, Toshiba VCRs W808 SVHS, W704 VHS
click here to become a member of cdfreaks.com
CCRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009   #10
CD Freaks Rookie

just wondering...is 4gb technology actually proficiented technology or are they just pushing the card beyond the limit of what triditional SDs can handle? i actually only used the card to store data, namely, all my MSword document, some homemade midi music, camera photos and dv videos, some old freewares...etc

also i heard these 4gb cards have compatibility issues, what does that mean?

i chose sd cards for storing my precious data because i think they're more reliable than burning disc only to have the disc go coaster or putting it in a usb hardrive only to have some fella formatted it with a single click. i think i chose the right medium for archiving data, do you think so?

thanks for helping.