Old 25-09-2006   #1
New on Forum

Replacement Power Supply For Sony Vaio Desktop

Hi I recently bought a new video card for my Sony Viao PCV-RS712 Desktop Computer. The video card is a Evga Geforce 7800 GS OS SuperClock but the problem is the power supply that came with my pc only gives a maximum of 266.2 watts and the minimum the video card needs is 350 watts but i'm thinking of getting a 450 which is the recommendation for the video card to 500 watt. I called Sony recently and they told me they don't sell higher power supply units, and since the psu is only 10 cm long and the maximum length before it hits the cd drive is 15 cm so i need a replacement psu thats around 10-12 cm. Any recommendation is good.

Thanks In Advance.
loyaltydeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006   #2
CDFreaks Resident

Re: Replacement Power Supply For Sony Vaio Desktop

I'm not sure what it will look like on a desktop case (if its a desktop, not a tower), but I would consider mounting a bigger PSU on the back side.
FidelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

Don't have a computer with PCI-E slots myself...

Maybe it is possible to feed your PCI-E video card processor with a separate PSU (even with a old one thats able to deliver ~18A on 12V).
To be able doing this you'll need a 6-pin adaptor connected to two 4-pin 12V (drive) mollex (example).
You could mount this PSU inside computer.

This offcourse requires some skills with electrical components.
ValHall64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006   #4
New on Forum

My pc is a tower and from research i'm pretty sure i need a micro atx power supply unit. My motherboard uses a 20 pin + 4 pin. I just need to find a decent psu with at least 400 watt.
loyaltydeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

Since it's a tower then there are many many choices. Micro ATX refers to the Motherboard. Personally I only use Antec brand PSU's, but there are many other good ones. Antecs are reliable and usually cheaper than the other good brands. Just depends on your budget.

There used to be a sticky thread in this forum on good and bad PSU brands. If I can find it I will link you to it.

Here it is Power Supply thread. Some of it may be outdated, but most Power Supply brands quality and reputation don't change very much so most of it should still apply.
I love life...Yeah, I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that something could make me feel that sad. It's like...It makes me feel alive, you know. It makes me feel human. The only way I could feel this sad now is if I felt something really good before. So I have to take the bad with the good. So I guess what I'm feeling is like a beautiful sadness.

Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them-words shrink things that seemed limitless when in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller but for the want of an understanding ear. - Stephen King, intro to "The Body."
jhtalisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007   #6
New on Forum

Quote:
from research i'm pretty sure i need a micro atx power supply unit
did the micro atx solve the issue? i have a similar problem here
karplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007   #7
MyCE Resident

The power supply for your PC is an OEM PSU made by Delta. Sony part #146870923.

Sony, Dell, HP/Compaq amongst others use proprietary parts where possible (notebooks are even worse) so if a part fails, you have to buy from them at outrageous cost. They'll tell you there's other reasons but we all know why they do it.

Even if you could get a larger rated PSU from Sony it would cost a fortune. Better spending the money re-casing the machine and enjoying a much wider choice and better value PSU. Here's a link to someone who did this before - using exactly the same motherboard (Asus P4SD-VL). Also be careful moving the board into the new case - you can't get a replacement from Asus at it's OEM again.
Old 19-02-2007   #8
CD Freaks Elite

Sony just loves pulling that crap. Its a cheap power supply, but an oem replacment cost 122$ at bestbuy, for a 20$ power supply (100$ profit for sony). I know that the whole 100$ doesn't go to sony but you get the point. Thats why so much of their crap uses memory sticks, and of course memory sticks cost more than other flash cards due to sony royalties.
I would defanatlly agree, get a new case and a normal power supply.
ripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009   #9
New on Forum

I had the same problem with RS630G... a very detrmined tech at the Geek Squad was able to fit it in by removing the lower dvd drive and the fan....took him a while and was not a perfect fit.

Tony
CQTony is offline   Reply With Quote