Old 20-05-2010   #1

record blocking signals detected

Hello,

I have had an LG RH1999H HDD/DVD Recorder for a couple of years now.
Please note the third 9 in the product number. I did not find that product listed in the product list here, but only the product with two 9's. I assume it is the same, but I am not sure.

Up to now I have mostly used it to record and playback programs from the TV-channels available in South Africa with a normal aerial. Last week I purchased a satellite dish and related decoder for pay-TV channels. The decoder works and we can watch TV with it. However, when I press the "record" button on the LG recorder it displays " record blocking signals detected" for a second and does NOT record most of the time. On rare occasions it records for a second or 2, then displays the same message and stops again.

It still records well from the normal aerial.

I have already removed the "regional code" as instructed by some people on this forum successfully, but it does not fix the problem.

Can anybody help?

Thank you.
renedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010   #2
MyCE Resident

The problem here is that the pay-TV provider has put an access-control flag into the content. All digital recorders that receive digital broadcast signals will trigger the access control flag - and since it has already been encoded with the signal, there is no legitimate way at all whatsoever to circumvent it. The content providers can use one of the following access control flags:

- The user cannot record this content at all (here in the US, it mainly apples to long sports programs and newscasts);

- The user may record this content using the pay TV provider's own proprietary DVR device but is only permitted to play back this recording on the exact DVR that made the recording (usually applied to movies in this country);

- The user may record this content provided that any copies made on anything other than the pay TV provider's DVR get degraded to analog standard definition (SD) before being allowed to recorded to disc.
16GB of DDR3 1600 @ 1333 (in dual-channel)
GeForce GTX 470
-LG BH08LS20 BD-RE SATA [Dec. 2008]
2TB WD Black (Boot drive)
2 x 1TB SATA Samsung F3 (RAID 0, for video editing work files)
2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.12 (RAID 0, for encoded video output)
750W Antec TruePower New Blue
RJL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010   #3

Re: record blocking signals detected

Thank you . I will verify that with the pay-TV- provider. It is certainly not mentioned in any of their advertisement and they are just new on the market and have only 1 type of decoder (by my knowledge). I would like to leave the question open until I can get confirmation from them. Thanks again.
Old 20-05-2010   #4
MyCE Member

This device will fix your problem.

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

Rusty
tuffkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010   #5
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

I have the same "issue" with the TV-on-demand channels from my cable co. (two different DVD recorders used) - regular cable/free-to-air channels are fine for me, but again that will depend on your provider.

I don't want to record stuff from those channels often enough to look into the various devices that will sort out the problem, though.

BTW, welcome to the forum

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-USA View Post

Rusty
Hmmmmm . . . might have to invest in one of those myself.
justcallmebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010   #7
MyCE Resident

Quote:

But then, maybe not. That stabilizer will only work with analog signals (or digital signals that have already been degraded to analog). However, it would do you no good if the pay TV provider completely blocks out the analog hole. Thus, if you get a video signal through an HDCP-enabled digital out but no video at all from the analog out, then the program access control is set to completely seal the analog hole.
16GB of DDR3 1600 @ 1333 (in dual-channel)
GeForce GTX 470
-LG BH08LS20 BD-RE SATA [Dec. 2008]
2TB WD Black (Boot drive)
2 x 1TB SATA Samsung F3 (RAID 0, for video editing work files)
2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.12 (RAID 0, for encoded video output)
750W Antec TruePower New Blue
RJL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010   #8
MyCE Member

@ RJL65

Hey, you got that right!
I've been following this thread on the AVS forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1248116

Rusty
Old 21-05-2010   #9

Quote:

Rusty
Thank you Rusty. I had come accross this device in my previous searches on the internet. The comments I read said something like:"try a stabiliser, it may or may not work". So, I have not immediately jumped onto it. In this thread also RJL65 gives some explanation why it may not work. I must say that I have no clue whether the pay-TV provider completely blocks the analog.

The good news is that Grex lists my recorder specifically as 'tested", so it is very likely that it will work.

But I am not totally ready yet to spend the money and order one. I still want to have an answer from the pay-TV provider. I have left 2 messages today and they have not replied yet.

Rene.
Old 22-05-2010   #10
MyCE Member

If your Cable or SAT provider shuts down your analog out, you may be able to over come that with this devise.

http://www.curtpalme.com/HDFury3.shtm

At the current price I don't plan on buying one if ever!

Rusty
Old 29-05-2010   #11

Thank you again Rusty. I have looked at that Fury device, but I don't think that that is my problem at the moment. The problem is not (yet) the quality of the signal that I get. It is that I get nothing when I attempt to record.

I have left several messages with the pay-TV company. They promise that their technical service will call back, but I have waited a week now and they are ignoring me. A local dealer in electronic equipment has confirmed to me that there are many people complaining about this issue. So, we will take it up with the company.

I will close this topic for now.