Old 22-11-2005   #1
MyCE Resident

PS2 takes a long time to load games

I have a ver.5 PS2, it seems now it takes a long time to load games (GT4), it just stucks on the Browse/Sys Config screen for a long time (2-4 mins) before the game loads. Is it a sign that my PS2 is on it's way out? What's most likely to break when it goes? The Lazer? Thanks.
awdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005   #2
CDFreaks Resident

Re: PS2 takes a long time to load games

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrifter
I have a ver.5 PS2, it seems now it takes a long time to load games (GT4), it just stucks on the Browse/Sys Config screen for a long time (2-4 mins) before the game loads. Is it a sign that my PS2 is on it's way out? What's most likely to break when it goes? The Lazer? Thanks.
Your laser has gone to poo, just like all Sony lasers eventually do. Sadly, replacing the entire PS2 is probably cheaper than replacing the laser, unless you're very handy AND you find a really good deal on an auction on eBay.

And honestly, most of the laser on eBay are probably ALSO used.

Last time I checked, a new laser ran $75-$100, and a refurbed PS2 from the Sony outlet... same.
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005   #3
CD Freaks Senior Member

why not sell it on ebay when the laser go's as faulty & then get a new ps2
most lasers in the uk on ebay are refurb's.Or dud's discribed as untested what a con
jockthecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005   #4
MyCE Resident

Because my PS2 already had a modchip installed, I don't want to do it again if possible. Is there any instructions on how to replace the laser? I want to see if I can do it or not. Thanks for the replies.
Old 22-11-2005   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

http://www.ps2repairs.co.uk/Apps/dow...oad.php?file=2

refurb's don't tend to have anti static strap on them
new one's do and have to be de-soldered
Old 23-11-2005   #6
CDFreaks Resident

Well let's say you have a friend whose PS2 got smashed. You could just take his entire drive unit and transplant it. That'd be a LOT easier than a laser replacement.
Old 23-11-2005   #7
MyCE Resident

I does look pretty hard. I guess I'll play it until it abosolutely won't work any more, then I'll just wait for the PS3.
Old 23-11-2005   #8
CDFreaks Resident

Well like I said the DRIVE is easy. It lifts right out once the case is off, unplugs in two places, and you're good to go. The LASER is hard. I wouldn't do just the laser if I were you. I'd find someone with a system that took a power hit, and steal their drive.
Old 23-11-2005   #9
MyCE Resident

My friends all have newer PS2 than me, so I doubt they have a failing drive I can use. But I guess I can look for it on eBay. One question, does other versions (version 1-9)'s drive work on version 5? Thanks.
Old 23-11-2005   #10
CD Freaks Senior Member

can't take any drive out any ps2 and stick it in another revision some are different to others not to mention the eprom only recognizes certain laser models
Old 23-11-2005   #11

Yup, BTW what media are you using in the thing? You could also go another route and go with HD Advance. That way you could run things off the HD and save your laser. They play well with most modchips as well. It certainly wouldn't cost you more than the $75-$100 to get it up and running.
Jesterrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005   #12
MyCE Resident

I'm mostly playing GT4 right now, it's not a back up, I'm playing the original disc. And to my knowledge there's no working DVD9 version back up of this game, and HD Advance won't work with DVD9 games yet. I don't want to play the decontent DVD5 version, so I guess I'll try to find a version 5 cd drive. Thanks for the replies.
Old 24-11-2005   #13
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
I'm mostly playing GT4 right now, it's not a back up, I'm playing the original disc. And to my knowledge there's no working DVD9 version back up of this game, and HD Advance won't work with DVD9 games yet. I don't want to play the decontent DVD5 version, so I guess I'll try to find a version 5 cd drive. Thanks for the replies.
WELL, you CAN make a working DVD-9 backup but it isn't easy and I'm pretty sure we aren't allowed to link to the necessary patches from here.
Old 24-11-2005   #14

Quote:
Nope that is incorrect. a DVD9 working version has been around for quite a while (I've had mine backed up for several months on a D/L disc using the toxic patcher). The HD Advance has had a DVD9 patched version for even longer than the D/L disc patcher.
Jesterrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005   #15
CD Freaks Senior Member

Can a standard DVD drive be fitted to a PS2, even if it'll hang outside in a most inelegant manner?
Fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005   #16
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingwater
Can a standard DVD drive be fitted to a PS2, even if it'll hang outside in a most inelegant manner?
No.