Old 05-10-2005   #1
MyCE Resident

PCIe settings in Award Bios

Hey guys,

I was just looking in my bios (Phoenix Award Bios) and noticed some settings for PCI Express that I know nothing about. They are listed below:

PCIE Spread Spectrum - Disabled

PCI Express Relative Items

Maximum Payload Size - 4096

Any idea what these settings are, and what they should be set to?

DJ Mind
DJMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #2
CD Freaks Senior Member

Re: PCIe settings in Award Bios

Well, I don't know about that second one, but the first one I may know. I've seen spread spectrum before but not for pci-e. Supposedly, spread spectrum is something that varies frequencies slightly during operation to eliminate interference from other signals going on in the system. It varies it in such a way that the signal can be "tracked" and distinguished from other nearby signals. On my board, the spread spectrum has to do with the chipset, I don't have pci-e on my board.

It's usually OK to turn it off. In fact, I overclock my rig, and it's actually recommended to turn it off in that case (for the chipset, don't know about pci-e). I guess when your overclocking, spread spectrum can hurt more than it helps. It's probably used to keep your vid card from receiving interference from the other nearby signals, probably wouldn't matter if you turned it off though. I noticed you already have it off, probably should leave it that way, if you turn it on, it could possibly hinder your vid performance? I would only turn it on if you have problems. Sorry can't help you with that other one though.
RoscoeMcGurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #3
MyCE Resident

Thanks for the reply & info! The PCIE Spread Spectrum was disabled by default and everything seems to be ok, but I am still curious about the Maximum Payload Size.
Old 06-10-2005   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member

Ya I've never heard of that one, but I haven't bought any pci-e boards at all yet. You should google it and see what you can find. It sounds like some kind of maximum bandwidth setting or something.
Old 06-10-2005   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

OK you got me curious about it, so I did a quick look. The only thing I found about it from a short search, is that it sets the maximum payload size for transaction packets. So it seems it has to do with the speed at which the pci-e bus runs at. So I think set it at the max (4096 like you have seems to be the max) and you should be good, faster is better right?
Old 06-10-2005   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeMcGurk
OK you got me curious about it, so I did a quick look. The only thing I found about it from a short search, is that it sets the maximum payload size for transaction packets. So it seems it has to do with the speed at which the pci-e bus runs at. So I think set it at the max (4096 like you have seems to be the max) and you should be good, faster is better right?
Indeed!

Thanks for the help bro, I really appreciate it!

DJ Mind
Old 06-10-2005   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member

Hey no problem, I learned something too lol.
Old 06-10-2005   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeMcGurk
Hey no problem, I learned something too lol.
That is always good!