Old 01-06-2011   #1

PC Screen goes black after playing games for 5 minutes

Hello everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Firstly, I'd like to sheepishly admit that I'm tech newbie so pardon my simple explanations and please bear with me

I've had this Dell Studio XPS 435MT model since September 2009. Here are the specs I managed to scrounge up. I've included my Dell Service Tag in case you need more details.

Processor: Intel(R)Core(TM) i7 CPU 920@2.67Ghz
Memory: 8.00 GB
O/S: Windows Vista 64 bit
Graphics card: Nvidia GEForce 220
Dell Service Tag: 8DR0H4J

I used to be able play games such as Starcraft 2, The Sims 3 and Dragon Age Origins without any problems until December 2010/Jan 2011 thereabouts. Since then, every time I start up a game, even a much older one, my screen goes black into standby mode after 5 minutes of gameplay, and the sound used to loop. The computer didn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del so I've had to restart it using the Power button. I tried checking for Error Reports but there were none.
I just installed the latest driver for my graphics card from the Nvidia website : http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7-...driver-uk.html
I tried running Dragon Age 2 again but the same thing happened, only this time there wasn't any sound when the screen went black.

I've also just cleaned the dust from inside my PC with compressed air.

The temperature read-outs for my PC are 41-42C and its 'Distance to TJ Max' reads 57-59 when running normally.

I rang up Dell tech support and he told me that my only options were to reinstall Windows or get a technician to fit a new graphics card, without identifying if that even is the problem.

A friend suggested I should defrag my hard drive but I haven't attempted that yet.

I hope some of you can spare the time and patience to help me with this. It's very disheartening to have been without games for so long and be so helpless about remedying the situation

Thank you in advance
Nat
NatashaRomanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #2
MyCE Resident Old Fart

Location: Diehard Old CDFreak Lurking In The Back Of Your Mind
Re: PC Screen goes black after playing games for 5 minutes

Yo Nat-

Your problem could be one of several things. If it were my pc - I would do the following:

-remove and reset your video card - being sure that it is seated firmly into the slot.
-carefully but thoroughly clean out the fan and heatsinks on the video card.

If that doesn't solve your problem then I would suspect that the computers power supply is failing (Dell uses very low powered power supplies and they tend to be overworked and thus tend to fail early). You don't say what country you are located in so I cannot recommend any variety of brands for you - but you should use a good brand of at least 500 watts.

Good luck-eh.

(Y) <- - - (a tribute to *someone*)

Brayden & Lil Burnits Proud Cyber Grampie - 'CERCA, TROVA' - 'NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM'

Work Computer = ZT Systems i7-2600 CPU w/32GB DDR3-1333 G. Skill Ripjaws X RAM/ Win7 Pro-sp1 /Crucial M500 480GB SSD @ SATA3 /Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB Workstation HDD @ SATA3 /Corsair 650 watt PSU /Pioneer BDR-2207 as BD burner /Lite-On iHBS-112-04 as Reader/Ripper and BD Disc Quality Tester /Dell 27 inch S-IPS monitor w/LED backlight /XFX Radeon HD6870 w/2GB GDDR5RAM /Ashampoo Burning Studio 2012 /DVDFab 9

Burning Computer = HP xw8400 workstation w/ Two Xeon 5160, dual core, 3.0 mhz CPU's w/ 16gb PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM /Win7 Pro-sp1 /Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD /Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb w/64mb cache HDD /Corsair 850 watt psu / Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Burner and Disc Quality Tester /Optiarc AD-5280S-CB-PLUS w/v1.Z7 fw as Disc Reader/Ripper /ATi Radeon HD 5770 w/1gb GDDR5 Ram Videocard /HP 24" LCD /Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 /DVDFab 9

On The Shelf: (1) Benq 1640, (1)BenQ 1640 @EW168, Pioneer (2) 115D, (3) Optiarc 7200A, Optiarc 7260A, Asus DRW-24b1ST
bigmike7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #3

Hey Mike,

Thanks so much for responding. Yeah getting a Dell wouldn't have even crossed my mind if only I knew how to put a computer together, sigh. I'll defo give it a go within the next week when I have the time and I'll let you know whether it worked =)

I'm in the UK btw. And thanks again!

Nat
NatashaRomanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #4
MyCE Resident

Isnt that gfx card a bit too weak for playing such games for a while??

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #5
MyCE Resident

Yeah, honestly that is a very very weak video card. It draws very little power too, so I wouldn't suspect the PSU. Chances are the video card is whats overheating and the paste may be dried out or something causing the card to get hot faster.

You really need another video card, if you can give us more info about the PC, either the power supply rating, model number or service tag we could figure out if you can get another video card and keep the PSU.

Edit: I see the service tag you posted, it looks like a 360W PSU. You can upgrade your video card and keep that PSU but you can't go too crazy with a performance card. You CPU uses a lot of power when working hard (its not the latest power sipping Sandy Bridge).

Last edited by eric93se; 09-06-2011 at 20:09.
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote