Old 01-10-2002   #1
CD Freaks Member

Old computer parts from recycling and scrap metal centers

Hey, my friend was telling me how he knew someone that built a state-of-the-art server for free just from getting parts from recycling and scrap metal centers. I know all of you right now are probably saying that thats a bunch of bs, (which it probably is knowing my friend,) but I went ahead and called a recycling place and asked them about it. I found out that they did carry computer parts. So anyways, the computer parts they have are relatively old, (newest about '97,) but cheap. I have been looking for a way to build a cheap computer and/or upgrade my current one, which is a 1995-1996. So does anyone have any exprience with these kind of computer parts? Do they work? Will they work for long? Are they worth my time and money? Thx for any info.
mmz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002   #2
CDFreaks Resident

My best answer would be to jsut get a new computer. There are relatively cheap ones out there for under $800. If you are going to go to the scrap yard for computer parts then you are in for a workload. Most of the parts are old and chances are they are not very good or reliable since they are in the scrap yard. Also you will have to buy te various connectors for these parts since they might not be compatible with the stuff that is coming out these days. True, there are those hidden diamonds but you are most likely to get a lump of crap. Just buy a new computer from dell, compaq, gateway, etc. They are cheap and pretty decent for their price. If you want to do this as a hobby go right ahead but I would not recommend it.

And the CDFreaks living room has reached a new low...
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002   #3
Resigned

dont do it....for the exact reasons dutchy listed above.

not worth the time/effort/risk and most importantly.... $$$
Huzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002   #4
MyCE Resident

Well ..

it works.. but there's a big big BUT on it.

I used (and still do) to get the most value for my money when spending it on hardware and i'm always on the look for semi-crap hardware that can purpose a function in my network system.

I have done this since i was in school. Always trading , sharing and asking hardware from other people. In the overall (say in a 15 year period) it has given me enormous benefits but also a few setbacks.

The disadvantages are also numerous. You have sometimes no clue what you get (is that a switch , router or just a hub ?) , so have NO documentation , NO way of knowing where to get spare parts , the power supply is UK instead of Dutch.. that kind of troubles.

But i have made some excellent deals in the past. I've traded a broken cd-recorder for a Pentium II 233 system (i had to add a harddisk , memory and vga card) , i bought a 4 speed writer for 12 Euro's which perfectly works under Linux , i bought a IBM P166 MMX for 15 Euro's complete with harddisk , etcetera , etcetera. I also gave away notebooks , lots of cd recorders , old memory , harddisks as well.

Some things are hugely unstable but if you stick to known and trustworthy components you're pretty safe.

There IS a reason why people threw it away remember ? Only if the reason turned out to be marginal (power supply blew up , toner empty , harddisk defect so they dumped the entire notebook , that sorts of things) you can be pretty safe with that. It takes some knowledge though.

Nowadays i don't do that much of "scrap searching" anymore as 5 years back , but occasionally some things come to my attention or some of my friends call me up and ask if i'm interested in this and that..

It works , but expect NO support from ANYONE and be prepared for a very very time consuming process. Keep your wallet well hidden and try to get a real bargain price on anything you see.
Old 01-10-2002   #5
MyCE Resident

Re: Old computer parts from recycling and scrap metal centers

Quote:
Originally posted by mmz87
Hey, my friend was telling me how he knew someone that built a state-of-the-art server for free just from getting parts from recycling and scrap metal centers. I know all of you right now are probably saying that thats a bunch of bs, (which it probably is knowing my friend,) but I went ahead and called a recycling place and asked them about it. I found out that they did carry computer parts. So anyways, the computer parts they have are relatively old, (newest about '97,) but cheap. I have been looking for a way to build a cheap computer and/or upgrade my current one, which is a 1995-1996. So does anyone have any exprience with these kind of computer parts? Do they work? Will they work for long? Are they worth my time and money? Thx for any info.
Where are you located? If you're in the United States, you can get a decent system (minus monitor) for less than $300! One place to look is www.compfact.com. They have a Duron 1200 system for $289 which had 256MB RAM and a 20 gig HD the last time I looked. You might even beat this if you piece one together from advertisers on www.pricewatch.com. For under $100, Amptron offers a board with built-in Duron 1200+, video, sound, network, and modem. Just add RAM, case, drives, etc. and it's ready to go.
dentman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002   #6
No longer with us

This summer, I was at the local junkyard/landfill. At this site they also collect electronical equipment of all kinds.

Inside the electronic eqipment container, where I was about to drop off a old TV, I saw this computer tower lying alone and abandoned. I thought: Poor thing, and asked the manager if I could take it with me.

Sure, he said, but don`t expect a discount because you take stuff with you!

When I could examine it better, I found the tower to be complete, it was a P166, it even had a Voodoo2 card
The guy who had dumped it had not bothered to erase the HD, I found, since it booted straight up with Win Me when I put the power on.
Since I come from a very small place, I know this guy quite well, so I would not dream of doing anything like it, but I could have connected to the internet with his username and password....

Now I only have to figure out what to do with it!
I think Linux is the way to go, when I find the time.....

Regarding the original question, I think that building a "state of the art server" is impossible. But, you can very well be able to get yourself a machine capable of writing letters to your grandma and run Tetris on, even at the same time!
Trondos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002   #7
CD Freaks Member

Thx for the suggestions. I would ordinarily just buy a new PC because I know they are relatively cheap, but I'm only 15, have no job, and have better things to spend a couple hundred bucks on (but that Amptron board is very tempting.) Anyways, I probably won't need the extra speed and power (although it would be nice) because I don't do any gaming or anything. I want a computer that I can mess around on, the one I use right now I have to share with 5 other people so I can't really screw anything up for them or they will get pissed. Thx for the info.
mmz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002   #8
New on Forum

I highly doubt that you can make a state of the art server out of old parts but you might be able to make a nice computer if you have several newer ones that you can combine the parts together.

Our local environmental group has a computer recyling day (bring out your dead) about every three months where the public can drop off old computers. Volunteers check out the computers and put them out for resale. A computer 486/P90 goes for about $20 with monitors and printers $5 - $10. This can be a lot of fun if you're handy with harware and you can pick up some parts and make your own computer.
Kevvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002   #9
CD Freaks Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Well ..

it works.. but there's a big big BUT on it.

Still sounds kinda FUN
mitchel is offline   Reply With Quote