Old 29-12-2004   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

My DVD ROM drive cannot read DVDs anymore

I have a XJ-HD166S Liteon DVD ROM drive. XP recognizes it properly. It used to work fine, but somehow, it just stopped working.

If I insert a CD, it reads it normally. If I insert a DVD (Film or DVD-R) it does not recognizes it. What can cause this problem?
Denis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005   #2
New on Forum

Re: My DVD ROM drive cannot read DVDs anymore

Same thing happened to me lately. Lite-On DVD reader. I can't remember the model, but it's older than yours. It seems like it can't spin the disc stable enough. I thought it's just too old to manage anymore...
ravensuominen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005   #3
CD Freaks Senior Member

a dvd drive has two lasers (i think), one reads cds, the other dvds, as they require two different wavelengths of light in order to read them. If one of the lasers knackered then that might explain why it reads cds and not dvds.
crustyteacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005   #4
New on Forum

Actually my drive seems to read some DVDs, but not all. All the DVDs I've tested are original movies I've bought from a store. The drive I have in my other computer reads all of them just fine.

-- RS
ravensuominen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2005   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

i've had the same problem with a ps2 before (the infamous disk read error) where it played some dvd games and dvd movies and not others (but played cd games perfectly fine), however it turned out that the laser was just knackered.

Thats the only thing i can think of, if xp recognises it, then the drivers must be ok, and the connection must be ok, and if its reading cds and some dvds then there must be something wrong with the drive, only thing i can think of is the laser. You could maybe try inserting it in another pc if possible, see if it works, or as a last attempt before it goes in the trash, get a dvd lens cleaner kit, as it may just be that the lens is dirty.
crustyteacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006   #6
New on Forum

I have had exactly the same problem with my drive and have finally decided to try a DVD lense cleaner, however, because the drive does not want to read DVD's it will not read this disc to start the cleaning process!
skribla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006   #7
CDFreaks Resident

No, that won't really help (the cleaner) in this case. I actually OPENED my drive and used alcohol to clean the lens... didn't help.

The problem is 100% that the DVD laser has failed or is failing.

Oddly enough, in my wife's DVD-ROM/CDRW combo, her CD read laser is failing. It still writes CD's and reads DVD's, but doesn't read CD's.

So I put my Liteon 166 in her machine to read CD's! LOL!
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006   #8
New on Forum

why does this happen? I would have thought that DVD drives nowadays would be cut out for normal use, because i have mainly been using my other drive, if i replace it is the drive likely to muck up again 6months down the line
skribla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006   #9
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by skribla
why does this happen? I would have thought that DVD drives nowadays would be cut out for normal use, because i have mainly been using my other drive, if i replace it is the drive likely to muck up again 6months down the line
It happens because of cheap parts and/or normal variances.

For example, Sony is well known for using the WORST LASERS IN THE BUSINESS in the Playstations. Sony knows full well that under heavy use the average PSX or PS2 ... WILL FAIL ... within a couple years. Every single one. There are some that survive, but not many.

Go look on eBay. It's FULL of PS2's. And MOST of them have bad lasers, although the ad often won't tell you that.

It has to do with cost-cutting, usually. Once in a while it's because you just get a bum laser. But most of the time it's cost-cutting. Lite-on is a budget brand. For a short time they were also the best rippers available, and the best burners available. This was right before DVD burning became all the rage. The last-gen of CD burners... Liteon RULED. That pretty much cemented their place in the lineup. But they've NEVER been "well built" drives. They've always been the cheap alternative. Back then we used to tell people that for the price of a single Plextor burner they could get two (sometimes three!) Liteon burners... and keep the extra one as a spare in case the first one burnt out! LOL!

Essentially some bean-counter somewhere did some analysis and determined the minimum part specification necessary to ON AVERAGE last at least a year (the usual RMA/Warranty period the OEM's provide). Some manufacturers use a nicer part (Plextor in the past, Benq now, Pioneer). Some use THAT PART AND NOTHING NICER EVER (Liteon, Sony).
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #10
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurm View Post

For example, Sony is well known for using the WORST LASERS IN THE BUSINESS in the Playstations. Sony knows full well that under heavy use the average PSX or PS2 ... WILL FAIL ... within a couple years. Every single one. There are some that survive, but not many.

Go look on eBay. It's FULL of PS2's. And MOST of them have bad lasers, although the ad often won't tell you that.

It has to do with cost-cutting, usually. Once in a while it's because you just get a bum laser. But most of the time it's cost-cutting. Lite-on is a budget brand. For a short time they were also the best rippers available, and the best burners available. This was right before DVD burning became all the rage. The last-gen of CD burners... Liteon RULED. That pretty much cemented their place in the lineup. But they've NEVER been "well built" drives. They've always been the cheap alternative. Back then we used to tell people that for the price of a single Plextor burner they could get two (sometimes three!) Liteon burners... and keep the extra one as a spare in case the first one burnt out! LOL!

Essentially some bean-counter somewhere did some analysis and determined the minimum part specification necessary to ON AVERAGE last at least a year (the usual RMA/Warranty period the OEM's provide). Some manufacturers use a nicer part (Plextor in the past, Benq now, Pioneer). Some use THAT PART AND NOTHING NICER EVER (Liteon, Sony).
Is there any brands that have a reputation of using decient lassers last the distance?
Geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #11
MyCE Resident

That all sounds good and fine but I think being over 3 years old I think the OP has moved onto buying a more up to date drive. Maybe starting a posting relating to you drive problem would be more helpful and up to date on problems nowdays.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #12
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrunner View Post
sometimes the dvds si not compatible for the dvd rom;maybe your dvdrom's laser head is aged.
SI? I got my recorder brand new November 2005

Last edited by mciahel; 03-09-2009 at 16:50. Reason: removed spam link from quoted post
Old 02-09-2009   #13
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcolors View Post
That all sounds good and fine but I think being over 3 years old I think the OP has moved onto buying a more up to date drive. Maybe starting a posting relating to you drive problem would be more helpful and up to date on problems nowdays.
OP?
Old 02-09-2009   #14
MyCE Resident

OP= Original poster
~Jethro~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009   #15
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurm View Post

I've got a disc cannnot be played problem with my Sony DVD recorder. It's got me thinking might be what's wrong with mine. Maybe the lasting distance of lasers is an isue here. If that is the case if I buy a new DVD recorder then I'd like to be sure the laser lasts longer than my old model.
Old 22-01-2011   #16

I had the same problem on Win XP SP2. I just cleaned the lens and everything is fine now! LOL. Try it before you dump your DVD writer.
BalRaj64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011   #17
MyCE Resident

The OP has a DVD-ROM.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011   #18

CD-ROM(or writer for that matter) uses a laser that is of longer wavelength that that used by a DVD-ROM / Writer, hence if the laser lens is slightly smudged (dirty) the device can play CDs but not DVDs. Cleaning the lens in such cases would solve the problem. However, there may be other reasons why a combo drive can read only CDs and nor DVDs. Cleaning the lens (with a lint free cloth) is worth a try as it is the simplest and quickest way.
Old 03-02-2011   #19
MyCE Resident

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #20

LOL