Old 05-12-2010   #1

Laptop Died, then Miraculously came back to Life 3 Days Later

So 3 nights ago I was on my laptop (I have a Compaq Presario) and it froze. I couldn't get it to do anything so I turned it off manually, but when I went to turn it on, it wouldn't turn on. Nothing came up on the display, the only thing that was happening was that the CAPS lock and the NUM lock button were blinking. I thought maybe it overheated so I turned it off and left it until morning, but when I turned it on in the morning it still wouldn't do anything, the lights just blinked.

I brought it to a local repair place and he said that he thought my motherboard had died. So I called HP to beg them to honor my warranty (and to my surprise it wasn't up!) so they also concluded that it was my motherboard and have sent me a box to ship it off in to get it fixed.

Now, throughout all of this the power supply still worked on my computer, for example when I plugged in the AC adapter the light would show that it was working. Also, I could plug my phone in and it would still charge, which I thought was kind of weird.

So this morning I went to plug my phone in (I'm at school & left my charger at home) and my computer miraculously turned on like nothing ever happened!

So now I don't know what to do. If I ship it to HP they'll call and tell me there isn't anything wrong with it, but if I don't I'm afraid it may die again at an even worse time and not come back.
Has this happened to anyone else? Is it possible for a laptop to overheat so much that it refuses to turn on for a couple of days? Or was this not turning on a warning sign that there is something wrong with my laptop and it is only inevitable that it will crash again?

Any suggestions? I'm still debating whether or not I should send it to HP and hope they can just take a look at the motherboard regardless of whether or not my laptop turns on for them...
benz07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Laptop Died, then Miraculously came back to Life 3 Days Later

Send it back, you'll get a machine that is working and up to date. There could have been a problem that was addressed in the replacement machine. If it is still under warranty, then it must be relatively new, so get a replacement. At least you can now back up anything on there you need. IMHO
Zathros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #3
MyCE Resident

yeah, backup anything thats important now. Because when you get your machine back there's a good chance it will all be gone from the HDD.
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #4
MyCE Resident

I had an older Dell that did that it turns out the display was on it's way out.

COPY everything to another drive and send it back.

Next time it "dies" it may STAY dead

AD
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote