Old 18-04-2007   #1
New on Forum

installing new hard drive, Wont load windows

After many weeks of converting video files, my toshiba laptop HDD is starting to show signs that its dying. I went out and bought a new one, i bought a open box HDD at bestbuy cause it was a bit cheaper, but now i wish i didnt, it didnt come with a install cd, it says on the box it should. i installed the HDD anyways and inserted 1 of the 3 install/recovery cds that came with my toshiba (windows xp on it). i set my laptop to boot from cd and everything was going fine, it read the cd and says STARTING WINDOWS 98 which was kinda weird cause it always installs windows xp after displaying that. After about 20 minutes, the install process was done and it asked me to remove the cd. after that, Nothing. i set the bios to boot from HDD and it just goes to a black screen and the HDD light doesnt flash. i thought i did something wrong so i installed again and still have the problem. Could it be cause i don;t have the original cd that came with my new HDD? i figured the install/recovery disks that i have would be able to format the drive and build a partition, it looked like it did, but it still wont load windows. Am i missing something?
CroZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007   #2
CD Freaks Senior Member

Re: installing new hard drive, Wont load windows

well an "open box" really shouldnt include anything beyond the product itself so thats normal and thats why its cheaper , anyway this issue is usally caused by currupted mbr/partition table , use a partition manager and delete all partitions and re-create , then try those recovery cds again

free partition managers (bootable of course)
-------------------------------------------
partition logic - http://partitionlogic.org.uk/
gparted - http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

or use the manufacturer tools
you can download the ones you need from its site,or just download ultimate boot cd which includes them all http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ , use imgburn to burn to cd http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

tools listing
-----------
seagate - seatools (diagnostic),discwizard (for partitioning)
maxtor - powermax (diagnostic),maxblast (for partitioning)
hitachi - drive fitness test (diagnostic),nothin for partitioning
western digital - data lifeguard diagnostic,and datalifeguard tools for partitioning
fujistu - diagnostic tool,nothin for partitioning
easterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007   #3
New on Forum

i've downloaded the file and extracted it to a folder, i burnt it several times with imgburn but i must be doing something wrong, my laptop doesnt read the cd, i set it to boot from cd and it spins, read, then stops, i must have burnt the files wrong or used imgburn wrong, any ideas on what i've missed?
Old 18-04-2007   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member

what exactly have you downloaded? is "test mode" checked in imgburn? if it does then uncheck it and try again , other that there shouldnt be any issues with it , might wanna try active iso burner http://www.download.com/Active-ISO-B...4.html?tag=pub

edit - if it still wont boot then delete the .iso file , then clear the cache in the browser and re-download , maybe the download went bad..
Old 18-04-2007   #5
DVD Freak

I would skip windoze in cases like this and use a Knoppix Live CD.

Download and burn with whatever simple image burner you can find (ImgBurn will also do). Restart compu with disc in drive. Let it load.
Knoppix is able to handle rather modern systems, laptops included.
pinto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007   #6
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterbunny
what exactly have you downloaded? is "test mode" checked in imgburn? if it does then uncheck it and try again , other that there shouldnt be any issues with it , might wanna try active iso burner http://www.download.com/Active-ISO-B...4.html?tag=pub

edit - if it still wont boot then delete the .iso file , then clear the cache in the browser and re-download , maybe the download went bad..

ok, active iso burnt it properly and it loaded, i can see the blue screen with the menu options. but now i'm lost on what to do, i've tried searching for guides on ultimate boot cd, but i still cant find one to explain how to use it for what i need to do (get new hard drive ready to load my install cds with windows xp)
Old 19-04-2007   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member

notice the "tools listing" in my first reply,use the manufacturer tools (i believe their in hard disk tools,in ubcd) , and if you find the manufacturer tools little hard to use then just get their manual from its site
Old 19-04-2007   #8
CD Freaks Senior Member

when installing windows Xp delete all partitions until u have unused space. Recreate the necessary partition and then continue with install
Benq DW1640
LG H22L
Andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007   #9
CD Freaks Senior Member

thats not an option , he doesnt have a standard xp install cd , he have "recovery cds" that came with his system that basicly restores a disk image ..