Old 28-09-2012   #1
MyCE Resident

I have to repair a motherboard... and need a SATA connector

Not asking anyone here for one just a source to BUY a SATA connector.

I HAD a source and they are unfortunatly out of buisness

Basically I have an expansive motherboard where the connector shell for the first SATA channel physically pulled off the board.

If it had simply pulled off I'd just shove it back on and glue it in place
but ONE of the connector pins snapped off and pulled out with the connector shell.

I can unsolder the pins and extract them from the board
but the thought of doing it to a complete connector and
having it not melt during extraction...

Anyone know where to go for one?

Preferably an online source

Most importantly some place that won't insist on selling me a thousand of them....
If you become annoyed with an electronic device and soothe the animal side of your nature by smashing it with a hammer some will say that you are ruled by that "animal side", However the Cerebral side that "holds the leash" of your animal side understands the basic reality that once smashed that annoying POS will never irritate you again.... it is only serendipity that you also rid yourself of some repressed rage in the process...
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012   #2
Administrator

How about this one?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...aN7Pq4jfSokL61

or here (same part) http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...103-ND/1499151

The Molex part number is 67800-8005 if you need to look it up at other sites. This is a vertical connector. Haven't looked for a 90 degree connector for you, but if you need that, you can probably find one at one of these suppliers.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012   #3
MyCE Resident

Thank you, Perfect!

I did a quick google search before I posted the question and every place that came up either had a rediculous minumum order quantity or a minimum order Dollar amount OR wanted $9.95 EACH for the little bugger. (plus shipping)

Frankly I'll order ten or 20 of them and consider it a lifetime supply.

If it wasn't a MoBo that'd cost a painful ammount to replace I probably wouldn't bother.

Of course if anyone knows where I can get a working ASUS IPIBL-TX MoBo
(aka HP GL8E "Burbank" Motherboard) for reasonable$... without giving my Visa/MC # to someone in CHINA...
If you become annoyed with an electronic device and soothe the animal side of your nature by smashing it with a hammer some will say that you are ruled by that "animal side", However the Cerebral side that "holds the leash" of your animal side understands the basic reality that once smashed that annoying POS will never irritate you again.... it is only serendipity that you also rid yourself of some repressed rage in the process...
Old 07-10-2012   #4
Former Moderator

There is a refurbished one here if you don't mind refurbished that is:

https://www.serversupply.com/product...sp?pid=143163&

They are based in NY (my state actually) so at least you're dealing with a real company where you can return it to if anything.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz running Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler CWCH50
Intel BOXDZ77GA70K LGA 1155 Intel Z77 motherboard
Corsair DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB)
ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
SAMSUNG 840 Pro 512GB Series MZ-7PD512BW
WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Pioneer BD-RW BDR-206D
when needed...
Lite-On LTR-52246S 6S0F (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
Lite-On JLMS XJ-HD166S DS1C (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
NEC 3500AG 2.TC Quiet (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
Lite-On SOHW 1673S JS07 (via USB 2.0 to IDE)

Found a Solution here helpful? Like the forum's?
Well then, what are you waiting for JOIN NOW!!!
xtacydima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #5
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacydima View Post
There is a refurbished one here if you don't mind refurbished that is:

https://www.serversupply.com/product...sp?pid=143163&

They are based in NY (my state actually) so at least you're dealing with a real company where you can return it to if anything.
Thanks for the thought, but the IPIBL-LB you link to is very different from the IPIBL-TX.

First off the -LB board is if I'm not mistaken a "BTX" pattern MoBo, and it has fewer expansion slots.

The TX is a full size ATX board and has it's PCIx16 video card slot FOUR PCIx1 slots as well as two "old school" PCI slots.

There are a few dealers in Hong Kong that I'd be willing to take a chance on with a replacement -TX board.

Though I can get a functionally identical Gigabyte board, that
provides a PCI x16 2.0 video card slot and an onboard eSATA
for about $20 less, though that would require a complete re-install
Simply swapping in an identical board would only require a "reactivation"
of Windows, and possibly a New "Product code"/CoA

But if I'm careful I might track down one of the Gigabyte boards that takes DDR3 RAM... and for that I can buy 16GB (4 x 4gb) faster RAM for less than half what the current 8gb of DDR2-6400 cost.
Old 08-10-2012   #6
Senior Moderator

Rather than trying to replace the on board connector could you take a SATA cable, cut a connector off, strip the end and tack solder the wires to the MotherBoard?

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #7
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Rather than trying to replace the on board connector could you take a SATA cable, cut a connector off, strip the end and tack solder the wires to the MotherBoard?
I could, but as it is SATA-1, I don't want to.

I may be a bit out of practice, but I used to work for one of Intel's
R&D divisions turning the dreams of engineers into reality.

I may not be the best in the world with a soldering iron, but
I doubt that you could fill a Greyhound bus with people who
are better than I am, so I'm not really afraid to fix the board.

If I mess up the repair I'm no worse off than I am now, I'll still
have five working SATA channels. The point is that until the connector broke I had SIX

I have another secret weapon, I have a collection of teeny-weeny
drill bits, so I have no intention of trying to blow, suck or wick the
solder out of the holes, I don't want to apply heat to that delicate
board for as long as I'd need to to use "conventional" methods of
removal.
I'll heat the solder just enough to yank the pins then I'll use
an 0.012" drill bit in a pin vise to cut the solder out of the 0.020" diameter holes.

I am and always have been "mechanically inclined".

AD
Old 09-10-2012   #8
MyCE Resident

For those wanting really small drill bits I use a set of carburetor re-jeting bits.
CPU IntelC2Q Q9650 3G 3.1GHZ Dual-Quad
Memory Patriot 4GB 2x2
OS Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
HDDs 1 Hitachi 640 GB and 1 TB SATA, External 1.5 TB, Two 2TB and 1 WD 3TB external and 1 250 GB external fire wire. 4 port 2.6 Amp powered USB hub
Burners Internal-Ide Lit-on IHAP 422-98,Pioneer DVR 117---Sata Lite-on IHAS 324-9, Optiarc 7240 and Samsung 243, IHAS 124 Y. External Mad Dog (NEC3500) to burn old 4X media.
PSU Antec 550W true power

Computers can burn up when shut off if they are still plugged in even when using a UPS.

2nd 'Puter (On line use) Dell Power Edge 700, Pentium 4E 520 Prescott @ 2.8GHz
Windows XP Pro SP3
2.5 GB DDR 3200, WD 160GB ATA HD, 4 SCSI HD in raid for 500GB, 250 GB Hd on a firewire port.
Samsung 223 DVD burner, Plextor 48/24/48U
Printers 1-Canon 820 and (1-Epson R300, Put back into a box) Samsung ?25 B/W lazer
6 Usb and 3 Firewire ports in the rear and 10 port,7.2Amp powered Rosewill Usb hub in the front along with Rosewill card reader +1 Usb port in the floppy slot
3rd 'Puter Compaq CQ-50 Laptop,Vista 32Bit
Celeron 575 @2GHZ, 3GB DDR2 5300, 160GB HD and 1-250GB WD passport HD, 2.6 amp powered USB hub.
Optiarc 7200 in external case
Epson NX 415 Printer.
(Wall-Mart $299) Vista 32 bit
G_Ivan Awfulitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #9
New on Forum

Could you show some before and after pics? I'm pretty curious to see how you fix this! I guess most people just buy a new board but this is much better!
Old 10-10-2012   #10
CD Freaks Fartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Ivan Awfulitch View Post
For those wanting really small drill bits I use a set of carburetor re-jeting bits.
You usually get a set of tiny drill bits when you buy a pin vice. Mine came with about 25 bits and they are really cheap.

Join Us! Here at cdfreaks
"Space. . . It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."

Chat Quotes
[4:44pm] * @taHkroW dubs SK the best king of the world.
DO NOT message me asking about diablo 2 .mpq files you will not get a response.
slayerking is offline   Reply With Quote