Old 01-01-2009   #1
New on Forum

How to update BIOS on Dell laptops without a battery

I just found a solution to a problem that I found posted on this site, unfortunately, I now cant find the thread, so I thought I would describe my situation,
I have a Dell latitude D620 with "a so called problem" with the adapter so it no longer charges the battery, I thought that updating the firmware might solve the problem with the adapter not being recognised,(even though it is brand new!!) so I attempted to flash the BIOS, only to be given the message, "The AC adapter and Battery must both be connected, before flashing the BIOS", so I was screwed or so I thought.

The solution was simple:-
First download the BIOS update, to a folder that you can remember easily or to your desktop, for example mine was D620_A10.EXE and it was located on the desktop.
Next type cmd in run and press enter,
then at the prompt type cd desktop , you should then see something like this C:\Documents and settings\rob\desktop
now type in the folder name of where the update is located, or if its on the desktop simply type in D620_A10.EXE <--- where that is the name of your bios update now if you were to press enter it would bring up the dialogue saying "The AC adapter and Battery must both be connected, before flashing the BIOS" so here s the great bit, simply type /forceit after the .exe with a space and sit back and watch the update!!
example C:\Documents and settings\rob\desktop>D620_A10.EXE /forceit

Sorry if this sounds pointless and totally random but I spent hours serching for a solution, many of which involved building devices to trick the laptop into thinking there was a battery connected and such, and then after a bit of luck and a little bit of trying and failing, combining this and that, I tried this and blow me it worked!!. Didn't solve the AC adapter cannot be determined message but Im happy to solve one issue. Anyway first post ever so sorry if i sound stupid or my explaination isn't clear, message me if thats the case and ill try my best to help
tryingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009   #2
New on Forum

Re: How to update BIOS on Dell laptops without a battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingmybest View Post
I just found a solution to a problem that I found posted on this site, unfortunately, I now cant find the thread, so I thought I would describe my situation,
I have a Dell latitude D620 with "a so called problem" with the adapter so it no longer charges the battery, I thought that updating the firmware might solve the problem with the adapter not being recognised,(even though it is brand new!!) so I attempted to flash the BIOS, only to be given the message, "The AC adapter and Battery must both be connected, before flashing the BIOS", so I was screwed or so I thought.

First download the BIOS update, to a folder that you can remember easily or to your desktop, for example mine was D620_A10.EXE and it was located on the desktop.
then at the prompt type cd desktop , you should then see something like this C:\Documents and settings\rob\desktop
now type in the folder name of where the update is located, or if its on the desktop simply type in D620_A10.EXE <--- where that is the name of your bios update now if you were to press enter it would bring up the dialogue saying "The AC adapter and Battery must both be connected, before flashing the BIOS" so here s the great bit, simply type /forceit after the .exe with a space and sit back and watch the update!!

Sorry if this sounds pointless and totally random but I spent hours serching for a solution, many of which involved building devices to trick the laptop into thinking there was a battery connected and such, and then after a bit of luck and a little bit of trying and failing, combining this and that, I tried this and blow me it worked!!. Didn't solve the AC adapter cannot be determined message but Im happy to solve one issue. Anyway first post ever so sorry if i sound stupid or my explaination isn't clear, message me if thats the case and ill try my best to help
I tried this on my Dell XPS M1710 laptop and for some reason i STILL get the Battery and AC adapter message. Do you have any other techniques to accomplish this because i seriously need to update my BIOS and i'm not about to pay Dell $200+ for a new battery that i don't even use.
Lagit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009   #3
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagit View Post
I tried this on my Dell XPS M1710 laptop and for some reason i STILL get the Battery and AC adapter message. Do you have any other techniques to accomplish this because i seriously need to update my BIOS and i'm not about to pay Dell $200+ for a new battery that i don't even use.
Nice job, OP and welcome to CDF
@ Lagit
Re-check your syntax.

So there's no way to flash these (M1710) from an optical drive or portable floppy ??
If so, prolly safer than from inside Windows.
jflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009   #4
MyCE Rookie

Thanks for this (and bump)! Looking for a way to flash a Inspiron 1520 BIOS from A00 to A09. The battery was "performing normally" and the AC adapter was identified as 90w, but it wasn't charging. The original AC adapter was "unidentified" so that may be why it wasn't charging. I figured it needed a BIOS update to get its head straight. But the BIOS update wouldn't apply - hurr, because the battery's not charging - hurr, because the BIOS has a bug! Catch-22.

This switch, "/forceit", allowed the BIOS update to proceed anyway, and fixed the problem. Woot!

Thanks for the info!
Falcon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009   #5

I tried this but even using the /forceit option it gives me a message that the battery must be charged. What am I missing?
brian0618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009   #6
MyCE Rookie

Perhaps the space between the filename and the parameters? I see too many people making that mistake... :P

ALWAYS, always, always, always, a space between the command and the parameters:

BAD:
dir/s

GOOD:
dir /s

So in this case:
BAD:
D620_A10.EXE/forceit

GOOD:
D620_A10.EXE /forceit

Also check the spelling
Old 29-11-2009   #7

The syntax is correct. In fact, I tried with other syntax and spacing and each time I received a message saying the command parameters was not recognized. When I included /forceit with a space after .exe, I did not get that message but I did get a message saying that the battery must be charged at least 10%. If I click on continue the same message just comes up again.

Last edited by eric93se; 29-11-2009 at 00:09. Reason: corrected erronious link in reply
Old 29-11-2009   #8
MyCE Rookie

Waaaait. Are you doing this in DOS or under Windows? The EXE works both ways... but I think /forceit is only supported under DOS mode.
Old 29-11-2009   #9

From Vista I opened a CMD prompt and ran it there.
Old 29-11-2009   #10
MyCE Rookie

That's the thing - that's still running in Windows. There is no DOS in NT/2000/XP/Vista. None at ALL. The only thing the command prompt gives you is just that - a prompt, with which you can pass command-line parameters to various programs and perform scripting operations. There's no DOS under it. You're still in Windows, in other words.

What I mean by DOS is literally, booted-from-CD-or-floppy, io.sys, command.com, DOS. No Windows at all. So you've got to make a bootable CD or use a bootable USB, boot into DOS, and run the update from there. I'd suggest checking out VFD (virtual floppy drive), use Windows to "Format" the virtual floppy as a system disk, add the BIOS update to it, then save/close the virtual floppy image, and use ImgBurn to burn it as a bootable CD/DVD. Then, you get real DOS.
Old 29-11-2009   #11

I suspected that was the case bu tryingmybest suggsted otherwise. He stated:

So I guess there is no simple answer to my issue without having to do as you say. That is, there is no way to update the bios without a charged battery. Correct?
Old 29-11-2009   #12
MyCE Rookie

Hurk... that's weird. I just read that too. Well, I do know I was only able to get it to work in DOS mode. Otherwise, Start/Run would perform the same effect.

And no, your conclusion there is kinda off. Just because you can't do it "the wrong way" (i.e. through Windows) doesn't mean you can't do it without a charged battery... you just need to actually take the time to do it "the right way" - that is, creating a bootable CD with the updater on it. Tedious, yes, but blame Dell.
Old 29-12-2009   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4 View Post
That's the thing - that's still running in Windows. There is no DOS in NT/2000/XP/Vista. None at ALL. The only thing the command prompt gives you is just that - a prompt, with which you can pass command-line parameters to various programs and perform scripting operations. There's no DOS under it. You're still in Windows, in other words.

What I mean by DOS is literally, booted-from-CD-or-floppy, io.sys, command.com, DOS. No Windows at all. So you've got to make a bootable CD or use a bootable USB, boot into DOS, and run the update from there. I'd suggest checking out VFD (virtual floppy drive), use Windows to "Format" the virtual floppy as a system disk, add the BIOS update to it, then save/close the virtual floppy image, and use ImgBurn to burn it as a bootable CD/DVD. Then, you get real DOS.

Hey guys!

I am having the same problem and this topic has been the most useful until now in my research.

Could you explain more in detail how to run the BIOS update through the DOS by making a bootable USB drive?

I have also tried to run the command window in safe mode but this only gives me a different error message.

This is my last hope, I can't find any other solutions elsewhere and I am so pissed at DELL for not making an easy solution.

Do you guys know what I can try next? Is there any old BIOS update file that would work anyways? I just want to fix my BIOS, even if it's an old one.

I would really appreciate any help, this topic is one of the few that gives some answers to my problem.
Skaarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009   #14
MyCE Resident

Floppy: (standard program in Windows XP)

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

USB: (not-so-standard program, do not ask me where to get it, google it and accept all risks personally, no support whatsoever, no really, nothing)

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.
Old 07-01-2010   #15

Thanks! What if I want to use a CD/DVD instead?

Or what is the name of this "procedure" so I can google it myself?
Skaarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingmybest View Post
I attempted to flash the BIOS, only to be given the message, "The AC adapter and Battery must both be connected, before flashing the BIOS", so I was screwed or so I thought.

TAKE NOTE EVERYONE: You must be logged in as "Administrator" or "Run as Administrator to successfully upgrade bios without a battery as described above.
SOLUTION: Click "Start" -> "All Programs" -> "Accessories" -> you will see the menu and "Command Prompt" Right Click on it and choose "Run As Administrator" by clicking on it and you're good to go with bios upgrade.
Side Note: save or move bios file to C:\ and you can rename file to "Bios" or anything simpler to save you from mistyping it's name. Example: C:\bios.exe/forceit and press Enter

Good Luck
Saintist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #17

I had the same issue in a Vostro 1310 with a not charging battery. I'tried with the directions in the previous posts without success. What I did was to remove the battery and leave it only AC plugged. Then I ran windows, run dell's bios update and worked pretty good. Even it's a risky but works.

Good luck.
pchalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010   #18

Hey There,

Thanks for all your help so far but this Dell stuff is over my head. I run Vista and can't get this stupid laptop to offer me Dos!

I was wondering however, does anybody know if I can run this Bios upgrade from another laptop, or does the upgrade have to be in the laptop that your upgrading?

Thanks
Dell_XPS_M1530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010   #19
Senior Moderator

Hi and Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell_XPS_M1530 View Post
Thanks for all your help so far but this Dell stuff is over my head. I run Vista and can't get this stupid laptop to offer me Dos!
You need to prepare a USB flash drive with something like FreeDOS.

Quote:
I was wondering however, does anybody know if I can run this Bios upgrade from another laptop, or does the upgrade have to be in the laptop that your upgrading?
What do you think? I am assuming you are aware that the Bios resides in a chip that is soldered on the motherboard.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010   #20

I tried the freeDOS with no success so I downloaded Hirens boot CD. At startup gives you the option for a mini XP and from there you can do the magic.
pchalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010   #21

hi, i got the same problem with the /forceit parameter, the way that i solved it was this:
got the msdos files from this page:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F362KJFG, the password is "boot98usb", without the quotes
also download the hp usb format tool from here
http://h50178.www5.hp.com/local_driv...50/SP27608.exe
after installing the hp usb tool, create a msdos disk with the msdos files, by selecting as fie system "FAT", and tick "Create a DOS startup disk"
once that the usb was created, open the file explorer and copy the dell bios flash utility to the root of the usb flash.
reboot, and boot from the usb, a msdos screen will appear
once that the C: prompt appears, write dir, and the dell bios flash utility must be there
example:
MM061.EXE
next, run it as the next example:
MM061.EXE /FORCEIT
a dell blue instalation screen must appear, answer some questions and wait, see how updates it.
if you have problems with the keyboard on the msdos environment, here is an ascii table
http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm
disturbedphaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #22

Did you ever get the AC Adapter is not compatible message resolved? If so, what did you find worked? I have two Dell Latitude D800's that have the same issue, so if the BIOS flash did not work, I am interested to know what did work.

Thank you for your assistance.
deerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010   #23

Man you guys really know how to make something harder than it needs to be. There's a simple two-step solution that doesn't require command prompt:
#1. Create a shortcut to the BIOS update executable.
#2: Right-click shortcut, go to Properties and simply add " /forceit" (without quotations of course) at the end. Make sure you put a space between the file path's end quotation and the /forceit command. Hit OK then just double-click the magical shortcut.

For example:
"C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\FlashBIOS.exe" /forceit

Once you're done, read this.
radioburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010   #24
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioburger View Post
Man you guys really know how to make something harder than it needs to be. There's a simple two-step solution that doesn't require command prompt:
#2: Right-click shortcut, go to Properties and simply add " /forceit" (without quotations of course) at the end. Make sure you put a space between the file path's end quotation and the /forceit command. Hit OK then just double-click the magical shortcut.

For example:
Excellent solution! I hope all the flashing goes well.
Old 28-06-2010   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioburger View Post

For example:

Once you're done, read this.
Dear radioburger... I'm just some guy surfing the internet for days trying to figure out how to flash my damn ancient Dell laptop without a working battery and having no freaking luck. (A week ago something went wrong and I couldn't use any of the keys on the left of the keyboard--crippling my ability to type. Somewhere I found the advice of updating the BIOS but everytime I tried it said I needed a working battery--aargh!) I found this webpage and started reading the advice and got seriously sad near the end when it all seemed waaaaaay too complicated. Then I saw your KISS advice about using the shortcut and the forceit thing. Having no idea what I was doing (being a computer idiot) I tired it and IT WORKED! I now have a working keyboard again and I can put off buying a new laptop a little longer (which is good since I have no money).

I had to register to this site just to leave you a seriously big thanks. You helped this stranger fix a problem that I thought I'd have to pay somebody to fix. Karmically, I am in your debt. Thanks a million!
lippydcat is offline   Reply With Quote