Old 20-07-2009   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

How do I format external hard drive to FAT32 in Windows Vista?

How do I format external hard drive to FAT32 in Windows Vista? Is there any goof tuts or a easy to use software for this task? Thanks for any help in advance
Old 20-07-2009   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: How do I format external hard drive to FAT32 in Windows Vista?

Please open the Disk Management... right click Computer > Manage > under the Storage, Disk Management. You should see your removable disk there, as Disk 1, right click it and choose assign or change drive letter. You can format it again as FAT 32 there.
~Jethro~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009   #3
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsick View Post
How do I format external hard drive to FAT32 in Windows Vista? Is there any goof tuts or a easy to use software for this task?
Starting with Windows 2000, MS decided to restrict the internal formatting routine, so you can only format partitions up to 32GB in FAT32. For larger partitions, you need a 3rd party software. Some HDD manufacturers offer tools to do that. These only work with external HDDs from this manufacturer.
H2format (available from here: http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/ctsi.shtml) is a command line tool that works manufacturer independent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jethro~ View Post
Please open the Disk Management... right click Computer > Manage > under the Storage, Disk Management. You should see your removable disk there, as Disk 1, right click it and choose assign or change drive letter. You can format it again as FAT 32 there.
Only for partitions up to 32GB.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009   #4
MyCE Resident

I had the same issue with my 320 seagate in Vista... I went to the Seagate site and got the disc wizard they offered, it formatted my drive to FAT32 no probs.

http://boomerboard.hyperboards.com/index.php

Dedicated Digital Audio Workstation System
HP Compaq SR5310F
Intel Pentium(R)Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz 1.60 GHz
2 GB DDR2 PC5300 RAM
Hitachi 250 GB HDT7205025VLA380 ATA
L196WTY-BF LG Flatron 19" LCD Monitor
Acomdata External Enclosure/Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 320 GB SATA HDD
~Soul~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009   #5
CD Freaks Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Soul~ View Post
I had the same issue with my 320 seagate in Vista... I went to the Seagate site and got the disc wizard they offered, it formatted my drive to FAT32 no probs.
that actually worked perfect since i am working with a maxtor mini.

I was wondering is there anything else i should do with drive to get it to work with my ps3? thanks for all responses