Old 21-09-2005   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

Guys, I'm gonna cry how frustrated I am

Ok, I need to format my PC. Before I do, I have the last of my data that I need to backup before I format.

Option #1
Put data on my external hard drive (WD 250GB on a Venus DS3). Good Idea, but for the past 3 months, whenever I want to put ANYTHING in there, it will freeze up. Funny thing, i can delete, and copy stuff FROM my xternal hard drive, but I can't put anything in there. It says I have about 22GB's left, but could it be because I've used up MOST of it? I tried putting in a 400kb picture in there, but the LED light acts up as busy, and it stays that way frozen.

Option #2
Put my data on DVDs. I install a NEC-3500A. Everytime im ready to burn (I'm using Nero 6.0 Ultra), it starts, and it freezes at 1%. If I'm lucky, it will freeze at 2%. What gives?!?!?! By the way, it only lets me hold data UP TO 4.33GB's and not 4.7GBs... y?

Option #3
My PCs connect online through a hub (Linksys BEFSR41). I say, ok, let me make a network with my laptop, since I KNOW MY LAPTOP's DVD burner works (never had a coaster). I'm able to set up a Workgroup from the laptop side, AND able 2 see it on the network. However, on MY PC, I'm able to set up the network, but every time I open it up, I get THIS ERROR MESSAGE.
Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

Guys, WHAT ELSE CAN I DO!!!
I'm ready to just go to Newegg, order a new hard drive, add that hard drive as master, make a clean format and install all my proggies, and put my data into that new one.

Any ideas or suggestions?!?! Am I that bad at PCs?!?!?!
[snapback]215292[/snapback]
Old 21-09-2005   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Guys, I'm gonna cry how frustrated I am

1. Software issue (most likely)
2. See above
3. Configure it correctly
//Danne
DiiZzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005   #3
CDFreaks Resident

see if you can find any helpful info on this page to resolve your "only 1-way" networking issue: http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis...11/394244.aspx

helped someone on another forum i frequent...good luck...
Plextor PX-716A / Plextor PX-Premium / Samsung SD-816B ROM / OCZ 520ADJ PowerStream / Kingwin KT424SWM

AMD A64 Winchester 3200+ / Thermalright XP-90 / ASUS A8V Dlx r2 / OCZ PlatR2 (2x512)
WD740GD 2*74GB Raptor (RAID0) / WD2500SD/JD 2*250GB SATA / Seagate 2*160GB PATA / Maxtor OneTouchII 300GB Ext (Firewire)
ATI X800XL / Viewsonic VP201s 20.1"LCD / Creative SBAudigy2ZS Plat / Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1
Plextor PX-716A / Plextor PX-708UF / BenQ 1640 / OCZ 520ADJ PowerStream / Lian-Li V1000B
drpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005   #4
MyCE Resident

Nero 6.0? Horrible obsolete!

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005   #5
CDFreaks Resident

1: Software.

2: Software, or a motherboard setting.

3: Turn on "simple file sharing". Seriously.
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005   #6
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiZzY
1. Software issue (most likely)
2. See above
3. Configure it correctly
//Danne
How is Option #1 a software problem?!?!? The only software I use is Windows XP. It's a simple drag-n-drop.

Option #3: I used the same steps for my laptop and that worked FLAWLESSLY!!! Why wouldnt the same steps work for my Desktop?
Old 21-09-2005   #7
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpino
see if you can find any helpful info on this page to resolve your "only 1-way" networking issue: http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis...11/394244.aspx

helped someone on another forum i frequent...good luck...
From the link you gave me...
Shortly after I first posted MakeMeAdmin, it was pointed out to me that it didn’t work correctly if the current user account had embedded spaces in the name.

My user account has an embedded space. I will remove that space when I get home and then re-try. thanks for the tip drpino!!
Old 21-09-2005   #8
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurm
1: Software.

2: Software, or a motherboard setting.

3: Turn on "simple file sharing". Seriously.
Option #3
I have created networks before at home with my PCs... for the sole purpose of file sharing. I did make sure to ENABLE file sharing... Seriously.
Old 21-09-2005   #9
CD Freaks Junior Member

I noticed many of you say for Option #2 that its a Software issue. What's wrong with Nero 6.0?

If I update/upgrade to Nero 6.6, will that solve the issue? I use the same software on my laptop (Nero 6.0) and I get flawless dvd burns every single time. why sould it be any different on my PC?
Old 21-09-2005   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWRana
If I update/upgrade to Nero 6.6, will that solve the issue? I use the same software on my laptop (Nero 6.0) and I get flawless dvd burns every single time. why sould it be any different on my PC?
Simply because your pc is different from the other computer/peripherals/components/software(config). Or not?!

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005   #11
CD Freaks Junior Member

so should I install nero 6.6?
btw, i havent had a problem doing a burn with a CD (on my plexi premium)
Old 21-09-2005   #12
CDFreaks Resident

you should always try to have the most updated version of software as many bugs/incompatibilities/etc are resolved (and some created too unfortunately)...6.6.0.16 is the latest NERO...

it could be the embedded spaces in your username or it could be the your group privileges on the login acct...there's a regkey devoted to this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa - nodefaultadminowner from 0 to 1

NoDefaultAdminOwner = "System objects: Default owner for objects created by members of the Administrators group"
DefaultOwner0 = "Administrators group"
DefaultOwner1 = "Object creator"

i don't know if these will help but they did help a guy on another forum get 2-way networking (i used to have the 1-way issue a while ago and it mysteriously resolved itself )
Plextor PX-716A / Plextor PX-Premium / Samsung SD-816B ROM / OCZ 520ADJ PowerStream / Kingwin KT424SWM

AMD A64 Winchester 3200+ / Thermalright XP-90 / ASUS A8V Dlx r2 / OCZ PlatR2 (2x512)
WD740GD 2*74GB Raptor (RAID0) / WD2500SD/JD 2*250GB SATA / Seagate 2*160GB PATA / Maxtor OneTouchII 300GB Ext (Firewire)
ATI X800XL / Viewsonic VP201s 20.1"LCD / Creative SBAudigy2ZS Plat / Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1
Plextor PX-716A / Plextor PX-708UF / BenQ 1640 / OCZ 520ADJ PowerStream / Lian-Li V1000B
drpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005   #13
CD Freaks Junior Member

I will try this at home!!! I hope this solves the issue.

I will also install Nero 6.6.0.16 when I get home as well.

On another forum they told me to run a scandisk on BOTH my C drive (which is where the files are at) AND my J drive (my external 250GB drive). The problems are in my J drive NOT WANTING to accept new stuff. I will also do that.
Old 21-09-2005   #14
CDFreaks Resident

When we say "software issue" we don't mean Nero, we mean the drivers for your lousy external device.

I don't mean to harass you individually. 99.99% of external devices suck, because they are USB, and USB sucks.
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005   #15
CD Freaks Junior Member

ya. i dont know. u may be true, but thats all i have.