Old 01-06-2006   #1
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions

Firewire port not detected

I have a new computer and the Firewire port is not detected in the Operating System. The device not detected is external Sony DVDRW drive. It does not show in the device manager. It works perfectly when connected via USB 2.0 but not firewire. I have an ASus MB and I checked the connections and they are all in place. I tried uninstalling the OHCI Host controller and rebooting and XP reinstalls and detects it, I am stumped. Maybe I have a bad firewire cord but I doubt it, it worked perfectly before on my old computer. Any ideas.
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #2
Retired Senior Administrator and Review Coordinator USA

Re: Firewire port not detected

Is this an onboard firewire or from a card?

Try with another firewire cable to rule out bad cable. Or if you still have the old computer, try the cable there.

Join CDFreaks Distributed Computing Team, have fun while helping to save some lives!

My review PC & Specs & Media
Blu-ray to DVD guide

Forum Rules | Blu-ray UDF Driver
BenQ/Philips FAQ and tools: BQFlasher, MCSE, WOPC Tool, WinDWFlash

LG BE06LU11 Blu-ray | LG GGW-H10N Blu-ray/HD-DVD | LG GBW-H10N Blu-ray | Panasonic SW-5582 Blu-ray
zevia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #3
MyCE Resident

your mobo came with an extra firewire thingy right? My asus a8n-sli premium came with a firewire port that takes up an expansion slot at the back, and you plug a red square block into the board. You could try that also for the hell of it.
gregtherotterius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #4
bkf
Banned

Alan im confused. Device manager does not see it or the device don't see it?
The main driver should be there. Service pack 2 buddy

naturally attachments just stopped working
Attached Images

bkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtherotterius
your mobo came with an extra firewire thingy right? My asus a8n-sli premium came with a firewire port that takes up an expansion slot at the back, and you plug a red square block into the board. You could try that also for the hell of it.
Yes, I have that all hooked up fine with the two connectors to the MB. It just doesn't work. Yes the MB even says 1394 on the pin that need to be connected, that is all done.

Old 02-06-2006   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkf
Alan im confused. Device manager does not see it or the device don't see it?
The main driver should be there. Service pack 2 buddy

naturally attachments just stopped working
bkf: That is exactly what I see in my Device Manager only mine say Texas Instuments in front of it., but the device is not recognized in the List of drives nor does it work. When I plug it in I can the hear the little sound that the computer make when an external device is connected but it is not recognized. Yes I have service pack 2, could that be the reason? Because when I first tryed it when I completed the new computer it did work, it assigned it a new drive letter, but it does not do that now, when connected by USB it works fine.

Old 02-06-2006   #7
bkf
Banned

I assume an external enclosure, go see if you can dig a driver up for it on the website. Bet ya that is all it is unless your greg and plug led's in backwards trying to turn them into FED's Flame emitting diodes

never mind that don't make sense, if it cant see the device it wont ask for a driver duh

i dont have a firewire device at the moment and attachments aint working so i cant show ya anything
Old 02-06-2006   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkf
I assume an external enclosure, go see if you can dig a driver up for it on the website. Bet ya that is all it is unless your greg and plug led's in backwards trying to turn them into FED's Flame emitting diodes
The drive is a Sony 810UL and it works perfectly, it came in an enclosure, I amsure its not the reason. I hope this has nothing to do with me changing the drive letters. All the other ones work and so does this when its connected via USB 2.

Old 02-06-2006   #9
bkf
Banned

na it just assigns a new blank. it ain't seeing it or xp would be saying something. let me look at my bios for a minute
Old 02-06-2006   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkf
na it just assigns a new blank. it ain't seeing it or xp would be saying something
I am going to see if the cable is bad, I really doubt it but its the last thing I know how to check.

Old 02-06-2006   #11
bkf
Banned

Im my bios under advanced there is an "enable 1394 device" Auto or off
Take a look at the manual also for a jumper that deals with 1394

my drivers look like they came from service pack 2
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2006   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkf
Im my bios under advanced there is an "enable 1394 device" Auto or off
Take a look at the manual also for a jumper that deals with 1394

my drivers look like they came from service pack 2
That is the exact same driver shwing in my Device Manager. If yours work in Service Pack 2 why shouldn't mine? Although I think you are right, it seems to have happened when Service pack 2 was downloaded. I just checked the BIOS and 1394 is " enabled " so I have to believe it is a bad cable or the Service Pack 2 just won't allow this, but I had service pack 2 with XP Home in my last computer and it worked, now the only difference is I have XP Pro.

Last edited by alan1476; 02-06-2006 at 01:22.
Old 02-06-2006   #13
bkf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1476
That is the exact same driver shwing in my Device Manager. If yours work in Service Pack 2 why shouldn't mine? Although I think you are right, it seems to have happened when Service pack 2 was downloaded.

this may be crazy but blow away the driver and let xp rebuild it, not sure with or without the device connected. Who knows
what can it hurt. (same thing we do if this was a dma no burner in sight issue) I would try with device, let it figure it out
Old 02-06-2006   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkf
this may be crazy but blow away the driver and let xp rebuild it, not sure with or without the device connected. Who knows
what can it hurt. (same thing we do if this was a dma no burner in sight issue)
When you say blow away the driver do you mean delete it or uninstall it, will Xp detect it again upon reboot?

Old 02-06-2006   #15
bkf
Banned

Quote:
When you say blow away the driver do you mean delete it or uninstall it, will Xp detect it again upon reboot?
yea uninstall it. I dont see why xp won't rebuild it. If you got what i got then the base drivers are there. I never tried it with a 1394 but have a gut felling it will rebuild just like a usb would

dont to forget to reboot
just like you would unistall a ide driver for a burner, a reboot and it rebuilds itself
Old 02-06-2006   #16
MyCE Resident

Quote:
bkf: That is exactly what I see in my Device Manager only mine say Texas Instuments in front of it., but the device is not recognized in the List of drives nor does it work. When I plug it in I can the hear the little sound that the computer make when an external device is connected but it is not recognized. Yes I have service pack 2, could that be the reason? Because when I first tryed it when I completed the new computer it did work, it assigned it a new drive letter, but it does not do that now, when connected by USB it works fine.
Did you install any new programs, well duh im sure you would have but i think it might be another program that has screwed things up here. I dunno, ive had this sort of thing happen with a USB device due to a program and me trying to allocate a new icon to the device. Can you try another firewire device? Maybe it's just the writer thats having problems at present?
Old 02-06-2006   #17
bkf
Banned

Only firewire device i have is a camcorder and the firewire connector on it is broken so I have no way of testing any firewire devices. and no i don't recall loading any other drivers. the camera just showed up when plugged in.

drive letters just should not matter. you would think xp would be smart enough to follow devices around. except the c: os drive. That you can't change.
Old 02-06-2006   #18
MyCE Resident

lol. oops my ques was at alan, lol. I am wondering if he installed any 'finnicky' programs that may have off set things :/
Old 02-06-2006   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkf
Only firewire device i have is a camcorder and the firewire connector on it is broken so I have no way of testing any firewire devices. and no i don't recall loading any other drivers. the camera just showed up when plugged in.

drive letters just should not matter. you would think xp would be smart enough to follow devices around. except the c: os drive. That you can't change.
I did not touch the C drive, just changed the letters around so they were in order on my DVD-RWs. I am going to buy another firewire cable tommorrow but I have my doubts.

Old 02-06-2006   #20
MyCE Resident

did u say u had tried the drive on another comp with firewire??
Old 02-06-2006   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtherotterius
did u say u had tried the drive on another comp with firewire??
Not yet, everything here is in pieces except for this one.

Old 02-06-2006   #22
DVD Freak

alan1476 is correct about firewire being enabled by default on his mobo (page 4.30 manual) and windows supports firewire since ages so the XP's SP version has nothing to do with it. I'm sure firewire is there if alan got all connectors in right position, as hi says.

Firewire has a fixed IRQ so there is no way to change "its" drive letter.
I suggest ala1476 to first let windoze assign default drive letters on HDD's and opticals.
When the system as whole is up and running you can go on with fiddling around.
pinto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #23
MyCE Resident

Just got an idea.
Is it properly enabled and set up in the mobo BIOS?

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #24
bkf
Banned

we allready talked about that. He says it's fine. Strange he hears the little boink sound you hear when a device is plugged i. Least that means xp see's or knows something happened. If the cable was hosed you would think xp would not respond at all. This is going to turn out to be some driver thing. I just think it. Shame I got 4 firewire connectors and nothing to plug into them to look at things clearer.

Pinto just thinking out loud. While xp took care of firewire a while ago I wonder if firewire burners that produced drive letters were in those fixes and it's maybe sitting on some long obscure sp update
Old 02-06-2006   #25
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto2
Firewire has a fixed IRQ so there is no way to change "its" drive letter.
I suggest ala1476 to first let windoze assign default drive letters on HDD's and opticals.
When the system as whole is up and running you can go on with fiddling around.
AFAIK, IRQ addresses and drive letters have nothing to do with each other...but the recommendation to leave default letters when first setting up a system is a good one.

seems the firewire port is being detected but not functioning properly which leads me to think of a few things:

1) driver (as already mentioned) - uninstall driver manually and let winXP reinstall automatically

2) faulty firewire controller

3) faulty cable

4) try another FW device to see if it functions properly...if so, something at issue with external casing of your optical.

5) there should be a jumper on the motherboard to enable/disable that particular FW port...maybe reseat the jumper. check manual for jumper location.
Plextor PX-716A / Plextor PX-Premium / Samsung SD-816B ROM / OCZ 520ADJ PowerStream / Kingwin KT424SWM

AMD A64 Winchester 3200+ / Thermalright XP-90 / ASUS A8V Dlx r2 / OCZ PlatR2 (2x512)
WD740GD 2*74GB Raptor (RAID0) / WD2500SD/JD 2*250GB SATA / Seagate 2*160GB PATA / Maxtor OneTouchII 300GB Ext (Firewire)
ATI X800XL / Viewsonic VP201s 20.1"LCD / Creative SBAudigy2ZS Plat / Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1
Plextor PX-716A / Plextor PX-708UF / BenQ 1640 / OCZ 520ADJ PowerStream / Lian-Li V1000B
drpino is offline   Reply With Quote