Old 12-02-2013   #1

Factors for speedy Blu Ray copying

What general hardware factors are most important for a machine that will copy Blu Ray discs speedily?

I'm looking for a new machine—new, used, or build my own. My current one is pokey when copying Blu Ray movies.

I'm using DVDFab9 with an LG 14x drive in an XP machine, a Dell Dimension 4700, Pentium 4 dual core 2.80/2.79 MHz, 4GB ram. The LG drive writes at a zippy 8-18 MB/sec, but the READS go at a crawl—it starts at 4.0 MB/sec then quickly drops to 0.6-1.0. Copying takes forever; burning is ok.

All suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Neuroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #2
Administrator & Reviewer

You haven't said whether you're compressing them or not but compression is the slowest part of the process.

So a fast processor or graphics card, depending on which you want to use for compression, will speed things up dramatically.

Wombler
DVDFab/ImgBurn: Choosing the correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn
DVDFab: BDMV-REC Supported Burners
Reviews: Ideal DVD Copy, Magic DVD Copier, DVDFab DVD Copy v9

Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #3
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuroman View Post
What general hardware factors are most important for a machine that will copy Blu Ray discs speedily?

I'm looking for a new machine—new, used, or build my own. My current one is pokey when copying Blu Ray movies.

I'm using DVDFab9 with an LG 14x drive in an XP machine, a Dell Dimension 4700, Pentium 4 dual core 2.80/2.79 MHz, 4GB ram. The LG drive writes at a zippy 8-18 MB/sec, but the READS go at a crawl—it starts at 4.0 MB/sec then quickly drops to 0.6-1.0. Copying takes forever; burning is ok.

All suggestions welcome. Thanks.
You so sure it isn't a hardware problem that is aging on the LG?? Considering your XP machine that is pretty old and upgrading would be more useful to you. But as another poster said you don't give specifics as to what your doing or what software you doing it with to know what is going on to be of assistance.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #4

The details left out ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcolors View Post
You so sure it isn't a hardware problem that is aging on the LG?? Considering your XP machine that is pretty old and upgrading would be more useful to you. But as another poster said you don't give specifics as to what your doing or what software you doing it with to know what is going on to be of assistance.
Yes, I omitted those details: I'm coping Blu Ray movies to BD-25 with DVDFab9; this takes a small amount of compression, say 10%. The LG drive is new.
I did upgrade the graphics card from an ATI Radeon 300x 128Mb to an Asus GE Force with 1Gb of memory. I figured the CUDA cores would speed things up--but I haven't noticed much difference, nor if I switch the GPU settings in DVDFab to DVX.

It's time for a new machine—But what I'm most interested in before I choose is WHAT factors—graphics card, CPU, etc,—matter most when wanting to copy BluRay movies quickly?
Neuroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013   #5
MyCE Resident

CPU clock always wins the race, go with the fastest 4 core CPU you can find. Your BD drive is fine for your stated purpose, you need more horsepower for encoding the video. A LOT more horsepower.
Old 12-02-2013   #6
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDan View Post
CPU clock always wins the race, go with the fastest 4 core CPU you can find. Your BD drive is fine for your stated purpose, you need more horsepower for encoding the video. A LOT more horsepower.
What CDan said.

My new-ish laptop with an Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz quad-core will encode video approximately 50 (fifty!) times faster than my old Pentium 4 2.8 GHz desktop computer from 2004 using Handbrake and comparable settings.

With a desktop quad-core system or using hardware-assisted encoding (Intel QuickSync) it could be even faster.

With such a fast system the bottleneck could become the Blu-ray drive, however.
Old 13-02-2013   #7
MyCE Resident

I like to rip to ISO on HDD, then do my processing from the ISO. It may not save any time but the processing goes pretty quick. Especially if you re-encode from one HDD to another. So if I was building a system with ripping in mind it would have at least 2 very quick HDDs and an SSD for OS and programs.
Old 13-02-2013   #8
Administrator & Reviewer

I'd have to agree with all of that and those are very sensible suggestions guys.

Intel processors are the best for encoding speed and twin HDDs will remove the I/O bottleneck.

My own system has an Intel Core i7 processor and I also encode from one drive to the other for maximum speed.

Wombler
DVDFab/ImgBurn: Choosing the correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn
DVDFab: BDMV-REC Supported Burners
Reviews: Ideal DVD Copy, Magic DVD Copier, DVDFab DVD Copy v9

Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote