iPad: 300,000 sold, 7.1 million predicted for this year

iSuppli predicts an expected 7.1 million iPads sold by Apple in 2010, with the hyped tablet reportedly racking up 300,000 units moved on launch day.

The number previously predicted was upwards of 700,000 by some analysts, although no one was sure of the actual demand for the tablet.

ADVERTISEMENT

I know there has been a large amount of speculation regarding the iPad -- and I actually have gotten tired of it -- but I felt it was important to note the 7.1 million sales figure expected in 2010.  Analysts have had a difficult time predicting the actual demand for the iPad, especially since the tablet market is brand new.

Image courtesy of Reuters

On Saturday alone, more than 1 million apps were sold for the iPad, with analysts expecting a high volume of app sales for the device this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

iSuppli also said the 7.1 million mark could be surpassed if hardware suppliers to Apple are able to meet demand.  The group predicted sales topping 14.4 million next year and 20.1 million in 2012 -- the boldest sales figure predicted by any analysts or bloggers.

"The tablet factor is ideally suited to touch screen.  The iPad represents an intriguing mix of two devices that have struggled to gain traction for years: Internet appliances and tablet PCs," said Rhoda Alexander, iSuppli director of monitor research.

Some analysts previously said Apple will sell less than 3 million this year and less than 10 million next year -- but if Apple was expected to sell 700,000 units and only sold 300,000, that may not be a good forecast for 2010.

ADVERTISEMENT

However, I think Apple's refusal to embrace Adobe Flash could hurt the iPad's popularity, which makes me question iSuppli's prediction of sales surpassing 7.1 million in just eight months.

Interested in our take on the iPad? Read our iPad hands-on impressions here.

No posts to display