Old 07-05-2007   #1
New on Forum

DVD drive doesn't work anymore

Well my dvd drive did work and now it doesn't, I used an application called registry booster (heard of it) and made a scan to fix my registry (which it did) but when i restarted i found that my dvd drive wasn't working anymore. So it gives you the option of creating a back and restor point but doesn't work, So what the hell did i do I can't live without it somebody please help.
D0gSoldi3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: DVD drive doesn't work anymore

did you back up your registry before you messed around with it?
did the program output a logfile of its actions anywhere?

I can't say I'm the expert at these things, but if you can restore your registry from the backup that's the way to go.

otherwise it might be helpful to other forum members if there was a log file to post it here in [ code ] tags

and i'm sure you know this now, but messing around in the registry doesn't have to be dangerous, but it certainly can be. I'd be wary of any registry optimization program that doesn't warn you ahead of time that you're fully capable of messing something up.

also it's helpful if you go into some more detail about your dvd drive. what brand/model is it? you said it doesn't work...what doesn't work? no power/lights? doesn't open? discs don't spin? spins but doesn't read discs?
Old 07-05-2007   #3
MyCE Resident

Is the drive seen in Windows? If so, try uninstalling it in Device Manager and reboot where upon Windows should reinstall it and hopefully fix the problem.
bevills1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member

delete the ide controller that holds the dvd drive and restart
Benq DW1640
LG H22L
Andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #5
New on Forum

Well i don't know where i would look for a log file on my registry and the application that messed everything up doesn't seem to have that option, and yeah it comes with restore points but they do nothing when i use them, i've attached an image of the application below. And no bevills1 i can't see the option of my drive anymore and i can't even open the tray anymore (eject) it's totally not working. And Andrei i'm not sure how to do that ide controller thingy you mentioned (i'm such a noob) but i'll google for it and see what i can find thanks, but if you would be able to explain a little more that would be great.

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.
Old 08-05-2007   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0gSoldi3r
Well my dvd drive did work and now it doesn't, I used an application called registry booster (heard of it) and made a scan to fix my registry (which it did) but when i restarted i found that my dvd drive wasn't working anymore. So it gives you the option of creating a back and restor point but doesn't work, So what the hell did i do I can't live without it somebody please help.

Use restore function of MS Windows to back your system to few weeks back and reboot and try to see if that resolve the issue.
TCAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #7
New on Forum

I aint that much of a noob, i know how ms restore works but i don't have it turned on so any ideas how to get my drive working.

How do i delete the ide controller that holds the dvd drive, Anybody.

Last edited by D0gSoldi3r; 09-05-2007 at 15:25.
Old 09-05-2007   #8
CD Freaks Senior Member

go to device manger (right click on my computer and press manage)
go to idee controllers and expand. U can delete all of them and then restart, or u can check wich one holds your dvd(ex secondary master , udma 5 etc)
Benq DW1640
LG H22L
Andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #9
MyCE Resident

Then try to format your hard drive if uninstall controller did not work and fresh install windows that will solve the problem.
TCAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #10
CD Freaks Senior Member

if the drive is with a yellow mark in device manager,remove the upper/lower filters,have a look here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

edit ive just read in your reply that it doesnt eject,you meant doesnt eject when you attempt to do it thru "my computer" or the button on the drive itself? if the button doesnt eject it then its more likely a hardware issue,i wonder does it eject when windows isnt running? (hit the pause key in post after a restart and try to eject)
easterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #11
New on Forum

Going to try that device manager trick when i get back from work tomorrow (too tired), But easterBunny, No the dvd drive doesn't function at all anymore it doesn't even look like any power what so ever is going to it and does absolutley nothing when it worked fine last week.
Old 11-05-2007   #12
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0gSoldi3r
Going to try that device manager trick when i get back from work tomorrow (too tired), But easterBunny, No the dvd drive doesn't function at all anymore it doesn't even look like any power what so ever is going to it and does absolutley nothing when it worked fine last week.
DogSoldi3r,

If your DVD is not receiving power (tray not opening, no active light). Check the power source by.....

Checking that the power cable from the power supply to the DVD drive is fully plugged in. Also check that the IDE cable ribbon that connects the DVD to your motherboard's IDE is plugged in.

If you have power but the tray will not open, stick the end of a paper clip into the hole on the front of the DVD drive to open the tray manually. Once open, press the eject button to see if it closes. If it doesn't close, the DVD tray's track is stuck from a bad gear, bad rubber belt, or the belt is off. Pull DVD drive from your computer pop off 4 screws, open the drive and check postion of the tray's rails. (Takes all of 15 minutes to do.)
Spooniepin is offline   Reply With Quote