Old 07-03-2006   #1
New on Forum

Drive won't read DVD

I believe I posted this in the wrong area yesterday, and would like to place it here. Apologies for the duplication.

Well, I'm running a Gateway 7422GX laptop and the drive in question is HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA 408ON (taken from Device Manager) which I assume is a typical laptop install. Has worked flawlessly for a year. Now, it won't read a DVD. PowerDVD says "disc empty". DVD Decrypter won't show any files, and DVD Shrink says "device not ready". I CAN read a CD, and CD-ROM.

I did one thing different today, and I have a feeling it may be related. I usually use DVD Decrypter first, then burn using CloneDVD. Today I used DVD Shrink (instead of DVD Decrypter) and then Clone DVD to burn. That ended with an error and a coaster. Since then, I can't read ANY DVDs, through any program. Really in need of help, as most of what I burn constitutes my family's TV viewing. I DON'T want to go back to network TV!

Again, In the past, I've learned a lot from the folks here, just by reading. But this time I need to post. Is there salvation here???

John
jm2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Drive won't read DVD

You can try cleaning the lens of the DVD burner. Laptop drives are quite good here because you can get easy access to the lens unlike internal PC drives. Use a cotton bud (good quality not those cheap ones you get in bargain stores) dipped in a small drop of isopropanol alcohol. Then very gently clean the lens on the DVD writer. After you have done this, dry the lens in the same careful fashion. If you press too hard on the lens with the cotton bud you'll scratch the lens, so hence the care in cleaning it. If that doesn't work, it'll be cheaper all round ordering a new burner.
Old 08-03-2006   #3

simply rebooting your computer a few times may work. This happens to me all the time, yet im still unsure why. A few reboots and it works again. Wierd but true
skel1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #4
New on Forum

Well, after two frustrating days I went and bought an external drive. Weird thing now is that both the external and internal drive won't read discs I'v already burned. The internal still wont read any DVD. Which leads me to think it's not a hardware problem, but some software glitch or screw-up. Well, I can live with this for now, use the external to burn, the internal for CDs. Just really frustrating trying to figure out why it's like that.

Again, I thank all of you for your help.

John
Old 08-03-2006   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Go into Device Manager and find which IDE channel your burner is on.
(its usually on the secondary as master) Go to the driver tab for that IDE channel and uninstall the driver then reboot. This will reinstall new drivers and should get things working again.
wobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #6
New on Forum

Thank you Wobble. I will try that tomorrow. From reading through other posts on this site, I suspected there might be something to do with the drivers, but was afraid to mess with it. You gave very clear instructions, and I will try this in the morning. If it works, I'll just return the external I bought. (Which, BTW, is a Lite-On, which the salesman told me Sony uses, and slaps their name on. That true?)

Anyway, thanks very much for your clear suggestion. I'll post the result.
Old 09-03-2006   #7
New on Forum

Oh wait, I need to ask a stupid question. Do you mean the driver under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section, or the driver for the DVD drive itself (under DVD/CD-ROM drives)?
Old 09-03-2006   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2552
Oh wait, I need to ask a stupid question. Do you mean the driver under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section, or the driver for the DVD drive itself (under DVD/CD-ROM drives)?
The IDE channel driver that your DVD is on, not the DVD driver itself. Its more than likely the secondary. If you have more than one secondary IDE channel like the picture then check each one under "Advanced Settings" to find the one that says current transfer mode ultra DMA mode 2 or PIO. Hopefuly it is on UDMA 2. If not uninstalling the IDE channel driver and rebooting hopefuly will change that. Instead of rebooting you can right click the computer icon at the top of the Device Manager page to "check for hardware changes". Does the same thing as rebooting.
And yes most Sony drives lately have been made by Liteon!
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2006   #9
New on Forum

Tried your suggestion Wobble, but unfortunately it had no effect on my problem. So, at this point, my internal drive wont recognize a DVD of any type. The external Liteon I just bought, will let me play a standard DVD, and I can use DVD Decrypt to copy a disc from this drive. But I can't burn one, either with DVD-R or DVD-RW on the new drive. Also, if I put in a DVD-RW and try to look at the contents in My Computer/Drive:F/Explore, it says Drive Not Ready, Incorrect Format.

Now that I have problems with both the old and new drives I assume this is some kind of configuration/settings problem, and not actually a failure of the hard drive itself, right? Anyway, any other ideas would be much appreciated, as were these.
Old 11-03-2006   #10
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2552
Also, if I put in a DVD-RW and try to look at the contents in My Computer/Drive:F/Explore, it says Drive Not Ready, Incorrect Format.
Sorry, don't know what I was thinking there. The actual message reads "incorrect function".
Old 11-03-2006   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Do you have Nero Info Tool? If so it will tell you how things are configured and if DMA is on although it doesn't appear to be a DMA problem. You might try reinstalling Clone DVD, Shrink and Decrypter. Have you installed any new programs in the last few weeks? I'm not familiar with CloneDVD but have used DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter since there beginning and never had a conflict with either. You might want to post your problem on the CloneDVD page. here http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74
Old 12-03-2006   #12
New on Forum

Thanks again Wobble. Will try software re-installs next. Did make some progress tho. Was finally able to burn to a RW using the new Liteon! Discovered that the "enable cd-recording on this drive" was not checked, under Properties/Recording. After changing that, it recognized the RW and I was able to burn to it. However the same thing did not work for the laptop's internal burner. Well, progress anyway!
Old 12-03-2006   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Some people on this site will tell you that "enabling recording on this drive" sould NOT be checked because windows burning application will interfere with other burning apps like Nero. Some will even say to go into system services and change IMAPI CD Burning to disabled instead of manual. I myself have tried all these sugestions and found no problems on my system either way. I have had Sonic DVD conflict with Nero.
If you go into "My Computer" does it show both your burners as DVD-RW drives?
Old 12-03-2006   #14
New on Forum

Yes, both do show as DVD-RW.
Old 12-03-2006   #15
New on Forum

Hi, i have been following this thread for couple of days, because i have similar problem as jm2552.
In short: internal NEC 3540A suddenly does not recognize any CD or DVD
it shows as DVD-RW when inserting CD and vice versa
gives me message drive not ready, incorect function when opening drive from my computer
i have history of some virtual drive software installing before this problem rose up
Suppose could be the same problem?
aufbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #16
New on Forum

I have removed Nero, installed CD Burner XP Pro 3, now I can burn DVD, but still NEC ND-3540A does not recognize blank CD, so CD is not possible to burn.

What mess is this?
aufbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006   #17
MyCE Resident

Disable in system services: IMAPI Burn Engine.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #18
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobble
Go into Device Manager and find which IDE channel your burner is on.
(its usually on the secondary as master) Go to the driver tab for that IDE channel and uninstall the driver then reboot. This will reinstall new drivers and should get things working again.
excuse my noobishness but how do u get to the IDE thing
pyromanizak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #19
New on Forum

cos my device manager doesn't hav that
pyromanizak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #20
MyCE Resident

Its under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers".

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #21
New on Forum

I have the same problem. I have a sony DRU-820A. It used to play everything but now it only plays what I have burned and own. It won't play any rental movies anymore. I don't have a stand alone player so need my computer to watch movies on. The drive won't even recognize there is a disc inserted. My Computer and Windows Media Player and Nero Showtime all say "insert disc", or "drive not ready", or "drive empty". It's almost as if some type of virus or malcode has been placed on my computer to keep me from watching movies! I have tried the IDE uninstall and reboot, upgrade of firmware, reinstalls and all that but it doesn't fix it. I would sure appreciate any advice. Thank you.
cloudboy
cloudboy is offline   Reply With Quote