Old 25-06-2002   #1
CD Freaks Member

drive keeps ejecting

hey. i am having a problem with my cd-rom. When ever the computer is on, it ejects itself. i push the button to close it, stays close for 10 - 20 seconds, then ejects again. This has been happening for some time, but usually it closes after a few tries. however, it does not stay closed any more. i most have tried closing it 30 times, restarted the computer 5 times, done everything i can think of to try to fix it. thnx for any info.

Specs:
IO Magic 52x cd-rom
56 mb ram
windows 98 se
pentium 200
mmz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2002   #2
No longer with us

This happens when you are online, or when you are offline too?

This could be a trojan (subseven) and someone is playing with you. If it happens to you when you are offline too, then I have no clue...
Da_Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2002   #3
CD Freaks Member

It happens on and offline, all the time. i have nortan antivirus 2002 with all virus updates. it says my systems clean so it can't be a trojan.
mmz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2002   #4
MyCE Resident

Disconnect the flatcable from the cdrom and power up the system (go to the bios setup or set it to pause or something , do NOT boot up the operating system)

Now check if your cd-rom player is still doing the same thing. If it is , it's defenitely a hardware problem and not an operating system problem.

If the problem "suddenly dissapears now" then power off , reconnect the flat cable and boot your operating system in the lowest possible configuration (windows safe mode for instance).

now check again if there's a problem with the eject tingy.

if there still isn't , its a bad driver or something and you could trace back steps on installing drivers/programs/updates/whatever.
Old 26-06-2002   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

Standard anti-virus packages can't usually detect trojans. Use a trojan remover to check your system, esp vxd files.

Try System Mechanic and disable all programs that do not need to be started at boot time.
burnproof is offline   Reply With Quote