Old 12-12-2005   #1
MyCE Resident

Do I have to reformat if I change the Motherboard and CPU?

I just get a new Sempron 3000 cpu and a ECS motherboard. I currently has a Duron 1800 cpu. If I just put the new motherboard and cpu in, do I have to reformat my comp? Will it still work properly if I just plug everything else back in without reformatting? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2005   #2
CD Freaks Member

Re: Do I have to reformat if I change the Motherboard and CPU?

If is windows you have to format and reinstall
Osiris_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #3
CD Freaks Fartman

No you shouldn't have to reformat, but if your using winXP it will probably ask you to re-activate

Join Us! Here at cdfreaks
"Space. . . It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."

Chat Quotes
[4:44pm] * @taHkroW dubs SK the best king of the world.
DO NOT message me asking about diablo 2 .mpq files you will not get a response.
slayerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #4
KN2
CD Freaks Member

i would reformat just to avoid conficts
KN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #5
MyCE Resident

Ok, thanks. I am using XP, but I'll give it a try first then.
Old 12-12-2005   #6
MyCE Resident

But I have a lot of programs that I don't want to reinstall if I don't have to.
Old 12-12-2005   #7
MyCE Resident

Backup everything you have that is critical and try uninstalling as much as you can in the device manager then do your swap. If your lucky and the hardware uses the same chipset it might redetect everything and go, or you might have to do some tweaking or a repair install to get it. If that doesn't work then a total reinstall on a fresh format is in order, then put back your backups.
I have done it before when the hardware was pretty close to the same, but I have also had to burn it down and reinstall after it totally messed up. There are some guides around that might get you going if it goes south but it's pretty technical sometimes and doesn't allways work either, good luck.
Dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #8
MyCE Resident

In theory no, practically yes.
//Danne
DiiZzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #9
MyCE Resident

do the hardware change, boot to the windows cd, wait till windows sees the old install, run as a repair then, not before. don't delete or format anything
better have your numbers ready
DaChew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #10
Retired Administrator

There is a chance that it will run fine after changing the hardware, but personally I'd still format. Windows does a very poor job when it comes to cleaning up depricated drivers/reg keys etc. This means that after the installation of the new hardware, there will most likely be leftovers of the old hardware. That may cause conflicts and will cause lower performance. The format should be well worth it.
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #11
CD Freaks Senior Member

You don't need to format!
Just erase the windows directory and reinstall.
Fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #12
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingwater
You don't need to format!
Just erase the windows directory and reinstall.
that information is totally wrong, he wants to keep programs and not
reinstall them, sorry
Old 12-12-2005   #13
MyCE Resident

Yea, the main reason I don't want to reformat is that I have a lot of programs installed. If it's just backing up the data I would've done it already. Thanks for the replies.
Old 13-12-2005   #14
Retired Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrifter
Yea, the main reason I don't want to reformat is that I have a lot of programs installed. If it's just backing up the data I would've done it already. Thanks for the replies.
You could always give it a try and format if you think it's required. Wouldn't call it wise, but it is an option
Old 13-12-2005   #15
CD Freaks Senior Member

I have never had any problems backing up data onto cd or dvd, then format, re-install program and load backed up data for that program. You can back up your data onto dvd and that should work if you have to do the format. If you are changing motherboards and the chipset is going to be changed with cpu, I would bet that a complete format will be needed. Just my experience, always back up data prior to attempting to boot with old hard drive!!!!!!
crankydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005   #16
MyCE Resident

Just an update. I installed the new cpu and MB without reformatting, most of the programs that I tried works, so I guess I got lucky. I OC'd the CPU to 2.09ghz (from 1.8ghz), bumped the voltage up to 2.70v (from 2.60v). The system is running great so far. Is this setting safe? Can I go higher? On the BIOS it only let me set the fsb speed to 232. It doesn't appear to have any jumpers on the board that I can physically set for higher speed. Is there anyway to go even higher? My motherboard is a ECS K8M800-M2, CPU is a Sempron Palermo 3000+ (1.8ghz). Thanks.
Old 13-12-2005   #17
MyCE Resident

With that entry level motherboard and the lack of a lock on the pci and agp bus,
I wouldn't trust going higher or even that high.
I was amazed to get a +45% oc on a premium socket 939 MB, and even then
had to reload windows because of a flawed lock on the via southbridge serial raid controller, MB had an extra(promise) one that's fine.
Old 13-12-2005   #18
MyCE Resident

Short answer is: No, but it's strongly recommended because of windows' crappy hardware & software management features...

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005   #19
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtpl
that information is totally wrong, he wants to keep programs and not
reinstall them, sorry
He copies whatever is in the documents and desktop folders elsewhere, erases the windows directory, reinstalls, and whatever programs are still capable of running without being reinstalled will run. If there are programs that can't work in another windows install, and he doesn't want to erase or reinstall them, well, he can try to repair the installation from the cd, but this usually causes instability.
Still much better than a total format of the disk.
Old 14-12-2005   #20
Retired Administrator

Quote:
He copies whatever is in the documents and desktop folders elsewhere, erases the windows directory, reinstalls, and whatever programs are still capable of running without being reinstalled will run. If there are programs that can't work in another windows install, and he doesn't want to erase or reinstall them, well, he can try to repair the installation from the cd, but this usually causes instability.
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me either. First because this is quite cumbersome and error prone. Also, formatting makes fragmentation go away (for some time). And, if there are user related folders on the harddrive and the new installation has identical users (including administrator), the new folders will be called <usernname>.###. Not very conveniant. It works, but far from ideal.
Old 14-12-2005   #21
MyCE Resident

Well, so far I have no problems with the hardwares. Windows recognize everything correctly. And I read on another forum that 232 is as high as the motherboard will go. So I guess I'm maxed out at 2.09ghz. The system is very stable so far, so I'll be keeping this setting. Thanks for the help.
Old 14-12-2005   #22
MyCE Resident

Quote:
when any full blown program is installed, it writes to the registry, system folders and/or a little folder called documents and settings on the root directory of the system drive, how in the heck is it supposed to work later!?

and that's not considering all the .dll's that get registered with windows
Old 14-12-2005   #23
MyCE Resident

I'll add a scenario, I've had to run repair disk a few times for mission critical
bookkeeping computers that hadn't backed up critical data, computer crashes,
next day is payday, fix the damn thing now, backup later.
Old 16-12-2005   #24
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-ehn
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me either. First because this is quite cumbersome and error prone
It depends on how much you are prone to errors (such as repartitioning the hard drive by mistake, or some such).

Quote:
Also, formatting makes fragmentation go away (for some time)
Defragmenting does that, too...

Quote:
And, if there are user related folders on the harddrive and the new installation has identical users (including administrator), the new folders will be called <usernname>.###. Not very conveniant. It works, but far from ideal.
So he renames the directories. Or he creates a big "BACKUP" directory in root where he sticks the contents of the desktop, user data and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtpl
when any full blown program is installed, it writes to the registry, system folders and/or a little folder called documents and settings on the root directory of the system drive, how in the heck is it supposed to work later!?
and that's not considering all the .dll's that get registered with windows
Some programs can restore the registry keys they need.
Office won't work, of course, but smaller, less invasive programs probably will. Having some of your programs work is still a hell of a lot better than having to reinstall all of them.

Or you can copy the program directory before zapping windows. Then you reinstall the program, remove its install directory and put in its place the one you copied before.
I'll agree that it isn't a clean, quick and easy procedure, but it beats reinstalling everything from scratch and having to set again all the options, restore the saved documents and whatnot.