Old 28-01-2007   #1
CD Freaks Member

Can somebody help me go from DMA mode 6 to DMA mode 5?

Hey folks! I have been searching high and low for days now on a solution to my problem.. and I just don't know what to do! Perhaps an expert can help me out?

I just got a new HD that supports UDMA mode 6 (133mb/s) and installed it into my computer. My motherboard supports UDMA mode 6 as well, but when I boot up into Windows, my motherboard's audio is all crackly and annoying! The problem wasn't existent when I was using my old HD -- which ran at UDMA 5 -- so I presume it's the mode 6 that's causing me problems.

Here's what I've done to solve the problem, but so far nothing has yeilded a solution:
  • I've updated my motherboard's BIOS to the latest available.
  • I've installed all the latest motherboard drivers (including chipset, sound, and IDE) from my mobo manufacteror's website
  • I've uninstalled and reinstalled all possible drivers for all possible devices
  • I've searched for (but not found) any drivers/utilities for my HD

The only solution I can think of is to force my HD back to UDMA mode 5, but I can't seem to find a way to do this. I can't find any registry entries anywhere to revise.. I can't find any setting in my mobo's BIOS.. I can't find anything to suggest that such an option is possible!

It's GOT to be possible though, as my friend has a nVidia chipset on his mobo, and his IDE drivers support individual UDMA mode settings, as well as transfer rate tests.

So, does anybody happen to know of a way I can go back to UDMA mode 5? Is there a generic program I can use to attain such a result? Is there a hack, tool, anything!?!?

I know this question has probably never been asked before, so I don't expect any answers from you guys.. but please know that it would be REALLY appreciated if you could share what knowledge you have on the subject. I'll keep trying things on my end, but I can only do so much, you know what I mean?

Thank you for reading this unecessarily long post, and thank you for hopefully replying to it!

Hope to hear from you soon,
William
zoinbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007   #2
CD Freaks Die Hard

Re: Can somebody help me go from DMA mode 6 to DMA mode 5?

Not sure if this is solution to your particular problem, but read this:
http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=61905
jamoskeag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007   #3
New on Forum

Have you tried altering the settings in the BIOS?

Or, have a look around the HD manufacturers website - often there's utilities available to alter the DMA mode of a particular drive.

Failing that; what's the motherboard model? HD? Sound card?? Is it crackling ONLY when there's disc activity???
uk1and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007   #4
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoskeag3
Not sure if this is solution to your particular problem, but read this:
http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=61905
Thx jamo, but I've actually been to about a dozen sites just like that. Everybody seems to know how to turn DMA on/off -- but to select which speed? Practically impossible it seems!
Old 29-01-2007   #5
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk1and
Have you tried altering the settings in the BIOS?
Yep, but the only available options my BIOS gives me is which PIO mode to choose -- which of course doesn't even apply to DMA mode. (I tried all possible settings anyway, with no luck.)

Quote:
Or, have a look around the HD manufacturers website - often there's utilities available to alter the DMA mode of a particular drive.
Looked there too.. but the only available programs are diagnostics / partitioning programs. No DMA settings to change anywhere.

Quote:
Failing that; what's the motherboard model? HD? Sound card?? Is it crackling ONLY when there's disc activity???
The motherboard is a SOYO (yeah, I know, I need to get a new one based off of this alone!) -- model SY-K7VME @ BIOS v2aa4 (the latest I believe)

The HD is a Maxtor 120GB -- model 6L120P0 -- PATA133

The sound card is a Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS (w/ 5.1ch surround sound!)

------------------------------------

The crackling is evident on EVERY form of audio that plays, from the introduction sound that windows plays when I log on (wav), to the music I play (mp3), to the movies I play (ac3). So the problem I don't think is related to any specific device, other than the motherboard itself.

I think there's some sort of incompatibility between my mobo's PCI bus, and IDE bus.

Thanks for helping me out guys! I know there's a solution out there.. we just have to find it!

------------------------------------

I HAVE found the program I am looking for BTW, although it's for Linux and not Windows. It's called "hdparm" -- and it allows one to select any specific DMA or PIO mode they feel is appropriate.

Does anyone know where I can find a Windows-based utility out there? I'm looking but coming up empty handed.
Old 30-01-2007   #6
New on Forum

If you can find it, there's a maxtor utility called UDMAUPDT.EXE, which is used to change the DMA modes. Google searching it returns lots of entries to the instructions... but I can't as yet find anywhere you can actually download it from.. it doesn't seem to even be on the maxtor site

But, I'd have a read of this too - http://forums.creative.com/creativel...ssage.id=71962
uk1and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007   #7
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk1and
If you can find it, there's a maxtor utility called UDMAUPDT.EXE, which is used to change the DMA modes. Google searching it returns lots of entries to the instructions... but I can't as yet find anywhere you can actually download it from.. it doesn't seem to even be on the maxtor site

But, I'd have a read of this too - http://forums.creative.com/creativel...ssage.id=71962

HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL YOU ARE A GODSENT UK1AND!!!!!

The file you mentioned was actually a part of a a bigger program, called 66to100.exe, which sets the DMA mode to 5 on select Maxtor drives!

Now if there's one thing I'm good at, it's finding files! And I found it alright.. AND IT FREAKING WORKED!!!!! Like a charm, I say, like a charm.

So, do you have like a PayPal account or something because I have GOT to find a way to repay you for this man!! I am throwing a fit right now I'm so freaking happy!!!

Man this here CDFreaks forum is the best on this planet! Hands freaking down.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you... and thank you. Problem totally solved. Besides, I didn't notice a speed increase from ATA100 to ATA133 anyway.. I just got the HD 'cause it was bigger!

OMG thanks again dude.. you are so nice!
Old 30-01-2007   #8
MyCE Resident

Glad you're now a happy bunny with this.

The way you repay someone for any help freely supplied like this is by helping others in future.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007   #9
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC
Glad you're now a happy bunny with this.

The way you repay someone for any help freely supplied like this is by helping others in future.
Oh I agree.. nothing beats the sharing of knowledge.

Someday I'll be in your shoes helping somebody else out!
Old 16-01-2012   #10

I'm glad to see you have solved your problem, too. I have this similar problem, but my operation system is 64bit and the 66to100 seems not support the 64bit windows7. So......how should I do?
doctwingkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012   #11
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctwingkey View Post
I'm glad to see you have solved your problem, too. I have this similar problem, but my operation system is 64bit and the 66to100 seems not support the 64bit windows7. So......how should I do?
Similar is not the same.

What is your exact problem???

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012   #12
MyCE Junior Member

i would try to move the sound card out of the that pci slot maybe the slot is shared! to a unshared pci slot and see if it werks with DMA6
macnavarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chef_ View Post
Similar is not the same.

What is your exact problem???
I mean 66to100 does not work in windows7 64bit vision even cannot be opened.
I don't know if I can change the DMA5 mode to DMA6 in windows7. Or is it just because my hardriver does not support DMA6?
Old 16-02-2012   #14
MyCE Resident

Have a look into the BIOS if possible. The HDD should be autodetected there and if the hdd does support UDMA6 then it should use it too. But that really depends on the HDD itself.

I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Old 16-02-2012   #15
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chef_ View Post
Have a look into the BIOS if possible. The HDD should be autodetected there and if the hdd does support UDMA6 then it should use it too. But that really depends on the HDD itself.
Exactly. Additionally, it does not hurt to look up the specs of the drive in question.
Also, the specifications of the motherboard chipset should be reviewed. Some Intel chipsets were limited to UDMA-5, where competitors already were on UDMA-6 level. (Which was usually a non-issue since HDDs at that time were not fast enough to saturate the interface).

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012   #16

Thanks for your help!
I followed your suggestion into BIOS.
My HDD is WDC WD20EARX, but I didn't find any option about DMA support. Just something about ATA Channel or AHCI mode.
The motherboard is ASUS P8H61 PRO.
I have searched webs but seems there's nothing about it.
Old 20-02-2012   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Exactly. Additionally, it does not hurt to look up the specs of the drive in question.
Also, the specifications of the motherboard chipset should be reviewed. Some Intel chipsets were limited to UDMA-5, where competitors already were on UDMA-6 level. (Which was usually a non-issue since HDDs at that time were not fast enough to saturate the interface).

Michael
I just want to let my HDD working faster. Because it seems always slow down my system running speed. My windows experience index is 5.9 which also is the HDD score. Other scores is more than 5.9.
Um...I guess maybe I thought too much. But still, I think there's possibility of faster speed.
Old 21-02-2012   #18
MyCE Resident

I doubt it.

Even the hdd would be faster in theory, you shouldnt underestimate the controller and its overall influence combined with the drivers.

Old 22-02-2012   #19
MyCE Junior Member

try these link----> http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

and on the left side you can read the FAQ maybe u find some usefull info

regards
macnavarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012   #20
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I just want to let my HDD working faster. Because it seems always slow down my system running speed.
The speed of a HDD is determined by its "mechanical" properties, like data density of the platters or rotational speed, it is not limited by the interface (unless it is connected to an extra slow controller, but this is impossible with Sata interfaces.)
If you think your HDD is too slow, buy a faster one or even a SSD.

Michael
Old 22-02-2012   #21
Senior Moderator

Quote:
My HDD is WDC WD20EARX,
These "Green Series" drives are optimized for low energy consumption, low noise and low heat. And low performance.
See specs here: http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=120

Then compare the specs with those of WD's Blue Series (Mainstream) or even the "Black Series" (Performance).

You want to consider a huge, rather slow HDD as data grave, combined with a smaller, but faster system drive.

Michael
Old 04-03-2012   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
These "Green Series" drives are optimized for low energy consumption, low noise and low heat. And low performance.
See specs here: http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=120

Then compare the specs with those of WD's Blue Series (Mainstream) or even the "Black Series" (Performance).

You want to consider a huge, rather slow HDD as data grave, combined with a smaller, but faster system drive.

Michael
Thanks for your help. I got it.
Old 06-03-2012   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnavarra View Post
try these link----> http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

and on the left side you can read the FAQ maybe u find some usefull info

regards
Thank you, guys. I went to the official site and downloaded the chipset drivers and installed it. Also I have updated my BIOS. Then do you know what I saw, my DMA mode level have turned to the 6!

Y Y Y Y Y
Old 06-03-2012   #24

Again, I say thank you for all the people who helped me!