Old 23-01-2005   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

"ACCESS DENIED" can you bypass this?

Ok here is my sob story.
I had my flagship computer running flawlessly for 6 months. Everything but my fancy Asus motherboard. Well the only weird thing it would do was give me false alarms that my processor was overheating at temperatures that would destroy it in seconds, as well as giving me false readings that one of the fans died.
I could live with that.
Then I started getting bad burns. Bought two new Benq burners (which brought me here ) and while trying to figure out why these great new burners were having problems.....
POOF!!! my motherboard dies. This is not something i am used too, I have never had any kind of hardware failures not in almost a decade!

So I sit here on my backup, trying to rack up the energy to call ASUS. In the meantime I discover this new ANNOYING problem:

First to those that think that Windows in insecure, Rubbish

I tried hooking up my 36 gig WD Raptor SATA drive to my backup, i was happy to see everything there. Then I went to retreive probably the only important thing hosted on that drive, and excel document listing over 400 dvds i own, and another spreadsheet with some financial information, it is a record worth money, well not worth, I will lose money without it.

So anyways I go an open the 'Documents and Settings' dirrectory to get my file out.
As soon as I click on my user name I get a DREADFULL horrible message:
"ACCESS DENIED"

Now I have asked everyone and their mother how to bypass this, everybody acted like it was something simple but none of their "solutions" worked, I tried booting off the drive and got nowhere.

So I ask you, my fellow genius computer nerds, Please help me get my precious file back.

I am offering the same meager reward I have offered my real life friends, I will ship you a 25 pack of Taiyo Yuden, or Vertabatim Movie Reel discs.

Thank you for your help and consideration
charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005   #2
Former Moderator

Re: "ACCESS DENIED" can you bypass this?

How were you able to log in to the hard drive, are you booting off a second 36Gb Raptor with an O/S on it?

It sounds like admin rights problem, are you logged in as an administrator? Or make a new account to be a Backup Operater and log in that way.

Are you on XP? Pro or Home edition?
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz running Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler CWCH50
Intel BOXDZ77GA70K LGA 1155 Intel Z77 motherboard
Corsair DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB)
ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
SAMSUNG 840 Pro 512GB Series MZ-7PD512BW
WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Pioneer BD-RW BDR-206D
when needed...
Lite-On LTR-52246S 6S0F (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
Lite-On JLMS XJ-HD166S DS1C (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
NEC 3500AG 2.TC Quiet (via USB 2.0 to IDE)
Lite-On SOHW 1673S JS07 (via USB 2.0 to IDE)

Found a Solution here helpful? Like the forum's?
Well then, what are you waiting for JOIN NOW!!!
xtacydima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacydima
How were you able to log in to the hard drive, are you booting off a second 36Gb Raptor with an O/S on it?

It sounds like admin rights problem, are you logged in as an administrator? Or make a new account to be a Backup Operater and log in that way.

Are you on XP? Pro or Home edition?

I am on another computer, intel motherboard, 160 ATA drive with Windows XP Pro, same os on the raptor. Think of taking your friends OS hardrive and sticking it in your computer and trying to access his documents and settings dirrectory.

Administrator rights sounds like what everyone has told me. Its pretty funny I have been working for Apple Technical Support (which I hate) so I am surrounded by people working on an OS that is not windows, when 90% of them are current or previous windows users. Alot of people could tell me what was happening, but not how to fix it.

On this computer I am logged on as the only user of the system, how do i create one of these users, I just went into control panel/users, and I can only assign admin or limited rights.

You seem to have the answer I need, do tell.
you can always count on mods
Old 23-01-2005   #4
CD Freaks Junior Member

BUTTER hmmmm

I did it, I got through.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;810881

I wish I had some way to spread the news

I am suprised that windows has such security, I guess it is to be expected being its xp pro

thanks again for your help!
Old 23-01-2005   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

my understanding is this, your pc has failed, you want data off the raptor drive and your using another pc in order to try get it, but windows keeps coming up with access denied when you try to access it? You could try booting from the raptor drive, but press f8 at the post and select safe mode, as you can only access the administrator account when in safe mode. Hook up your other hard drive as a slave (the 160gb one), and transfer any documents you want to the other hard drive. Hopefully that should work. Take a look at this microsoft knowledge base article ( http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290109 ), hope this helps.

edit* sorry, posted this then when it refreshed your post appeared. Well done.
crustyteacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005   #6
CDFreaks Resident

@Charm the reason you can’t access your “Documents and Settings” file is because you are using Windows to try and access it and by Default it’s locked to other Windows. The easiest and quickest way to do it ! Is put your HD in a Linux Box edit “ etc/fstab” to mount your drive and use Konqueror to open it and you have full access to all you documents.

If you don’t have a Linux Box then put your HD in a computer and Hack your “Document and Setting “ Folder. Both methods work very well .
Attached Images

coathi is offline   Reply With Quote