Old 22-02-2006   #1
New on Forum

Why don't these discs play on my dvd player?

Hi

I have burned some dvd films onto DVD-R and DVD-RW. They both play on my computer but when I put them in my dvd machine they don't work. The DVD-R discs are Sony 1x8xcompatible 4.7GB. On the back it says wide compatibility. The DVD-RW is a Plus Platinum 4xspeed 4.7GB.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Helen
HelenKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006   #2
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Re: Why don't these discs play on my dvd player?

Most of times these problems are due to a media incompatibility.

Many standalones are really picky. Not all players are able to read rewritable media.

Another possibility is a bad burned media.

What burner/firmware do you have? And at what speed you burned?
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006   #3
CD Freaks Die Hard

HelenKirby,
The sony media you mentioned above are among the best you can buy so I don't think the problem is brand choice. Try setting CloneDVD's burn speed feature to burn at 4X rather than "Maximum".

RW media is notorious for developing flaws in the writing layer somewhere between one and fifty uses! Off brands are the worst. Most old and many new players don't like RW media, depending on manufacturing quality.

Best regards,
Whisperer
Whisperer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006   #4
New on Forum

Hi

Thanks for that. I have CloneDVD & AnyDVD. The speed I burnt the dvds at were 8x because that is what it said on the Sony Disc. I will try burning another one at 4x. Getting through lots of dvds! But I suppose trial an error is the only way forward.

Will let you know in 30 mins or so what the result was.

Thanks again.

Helen
Old 22-02-2006   #5
CD Freaks Die Hard

Cool. I guess you have the day off, lucky you!

I know these -R Sony Accucore disks inside and out. They are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden (a very reliable media maker). I never heard of the Platypus RW's though. Burning 8X rated media at 4X gives the disk's write layer a nice reliable amount of time to accept the data being writen on it without flaws. Burning at 4X also increases the likelihood that your backups will play on a wide range of standalone players other than the one your have in your house which can be a nasty surprise when you upgrade your home unit or when you play them on a friend's player or a minivan player etc.

Last edited by Whisperer1; 22-02-2006 at 21:13. Reason: Grammar and Spelling
Old 22-02-2006   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisperer1
Cool. I guess you have the day off, lucky you!

I know these -R Sony Accucore disks inside and out. They are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden (a very reliable media maker).
Must not be Taiyo Yuden it could also be with a sony mid.
BenQ 1620pro
BenQ 1640, 1650, 1655
LG GSA 4163 B
LiteON 832s
NEC 1300A, 4550A
rapid fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006   #7
CD Freaks Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid fire
Must not be Taiyo Yuden it could also be with a sony mid.
The made in japan ones are TY. The made in Taiwan ones are "other".... I'm 90% sure. Reasonsnotrules knows this stuff for sure.
Old 22-02-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

The MIJs are TY and the taiwan stuff 100% not. That's why i said it could be another mid, i had sony spindles in my hands with no Made in ******!
BenQ 1620pro
BenQ 1640, 1650, 1655
LG GSA 4163 B
LiteON 832s
NEC 1300A, 4550A
rapid fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006   #9
New on Forum

Hi

Im not having much luck at all!!! Tried burning at 4x but it still would not play on my dvd machine and these Sony DVD-Rs wont play on my computer neither! The Platinum DVD+RW played on my computer but didn't on my dvd machine.

When I go into 'My Computer' and click on the relevant drive with the -R disc in a message comes up saying 'drive not accessible, incorrect function' but the normal dvd film plays fine on here and so does the +RW. When I right click and go to properties it says the disc is full so something has burned on it.

Should I have CloneDVD set at 4800mb if the disc is 4.7GB? Also, the tempory directory for video files, should that be set on Drive E? Is that an automatic thing? and the tickbox saying delete temporary video files after writing?

This is sooooo frustrating. Anyone got any advice for me. I have been trying for so long now that I am on the verge of giving up!

Sorry to be such a pain.

Helen
Old 22-02-2006   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno888
Most of times these problems are due to a media incompatibility.

Many standalones are really picky. Not all players are able to read rewritable media.

Another possibility is a bad burned media.

What burner/firmware do you have? And at what speed you burned?
Can you answer please?
Old 22-02-2006   #11
New on Forum

I have a Philips DVDR1640P drive and AnyDVD/Clone DVD burning software.

When I go into My Computer and click on the drive that the disc is in my computer gets stuck. This is the same with both Sony -R discs that I have burnt the dvd film onto.

Helen
Old 22-02-2006   #12

I still think that is a media issue. Can you post a scan?
Old 22-02-2006   #13
New on Forum

Whats a media issue and how do I post a scan.

Sorry, Im not technical minded in the slightest! Am also pregnant which doesn't help matters.

Thanks.

Helen
Old 22-02-2006   #14

No need to be sorry

I'll explain you. Open cd-dvd speed, insert a disc on the burner, and then select "disc quality". Select 4x in the right combo, and press start. After finished, press the little button on high right corner (with a little disc) and save image in PNG format. Finally post resulting image here.
Attached Images

Old 22-02-2006   #15
CDFreaks Resident

What is the name and model of your standalone DVD player. Some standalone will not Play -R
HAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006   #16
New on Forum

Just trying to download cd-dvd speed but it is asking me which programme I would like to open the download in. Which should I say?
Old 22-02-2006   #17

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroCDSpeed_410.zip
Old 22-02-2006   #18
CDFreaks Resident

The Philips DVDR1640P supports bit-setting, and will as default write DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R9 DL media with DVD-ROM book type.

This is a great, it would be better for you to buy +R’s and this way you will have the greatest compatibility possible.
Old 22-02-2006   #19
New on Forum

Thanks for that Hamp and Geno 888.

I have tried downloading using the link you stated but it opens in Mozilla loads of times and just goes ballistic then I have real problems trying to stop it. I have run my virus software but my computer is clean so I think I will just try doing what Hamp says as obviously this Philips drive is not compatible with DVD-R discs.

Thanks all for your help.

Helen
Old 22-02-2006   #20

Your philips burner can burn both plus and dash media.

What HAMP was saying is that you can change the booktype of +R media in ROM, so your standalone see a +R risc as a pressed DVD ROM. This improve compatibility with picky standalones.
Old 22-02-2006   #21
CDFreaks Resident

My apologies please, I should have been more clear. Geno888 did say it correctly, Your burner can and will burn to –R’s and +R’s.

The problem will come with picky standalone DVD players. Some Standalones will play both –R’s and +R’s, will other will only play –R or only +R’s. This may be the issue you are having at the moment. Your DVD player may not like the -R's.

With the Bit-setting and changing your +R it will make your new burnt DVD look like a Pressed DVD(store bought DVD or rental DVD) and this brings your compatibility much higher.

P.S.

Also, Wanted to add… Congratulation on the new and upcoming baby! ! !
Old 23-02-2006   #22
New on Forum

Is it possible to change the booktype of the +RW to make it compatible with my dvd player? If not, I will have to purchase some more +R discs and try again.

Please could you tell me how to change the booktype anyway in easy step by step instructions.

Thanks alot for all your help.

Helen
Old 23-02-2006   #23
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP
The Philips DVDR1640P supports bit-setting, and will as default write DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R9 DL media with DVD-ROM book type.

This is a great, it would be better for you to buy +R’s and this way you will have the greatest compatibility possible.
Please read above re-post
Old 23-02-2006   #24
New on Forum

I think the reason my +RW disc does not work on my dvd player is because it is a cheap AVIS L120 and these dvd players have a region code on them which only allows them to play some dvds . I reckon I need to remove this code on my dvd player for it to allow all types of discs. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

Helen
Old 23-02-2006   #25
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenKirby
I think the reason my +RW disc does not work on my dvd player is because it is a cheap AVIS L120 and these dvd players have a region code on them which only allows them to play some dvds . I reckon I need to remove this code on my dvd player for it to allow all types of discs. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

Helen
almost all commercial dvd players are region locked. backups are region free though so any disc you burn should play in all players (so long as the video is the correct format ie NTSC for US/Canada and PAL for european players)

the only time you'd run into region issues is if you purchase a commercial pressed disc with a region different from your own.

if your problem is only with RW discs then I'd venture to guess that your RW disc has had it or you're not using quality media...RW discs are rewriteable, but not forever. the lifespan of RW discs is VERY variable, and they're not really recommended for permanent video backup.
reasonsnotrules is offline   Reply With Quote