Old 11-11-2005   #1
MyCE Senior Member

What is Virtual Clone Drive?

I just bought the AnyDVD bundle. Well after purchasing, I went to the download page and there is an extra program to download, "Virtual Clone Drive". The site talks about the other three (AnyDVD, CloneDVD2, CloneCD) but makes no mention of Virtual Clone Drive.

What is this program exactly and what does it do? Dunno why the site doesn't provide any info on it (at least I could not find any).
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 (2x8) Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Crucial M500 120 GB SSD, WD 2 TB Black HDD, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (e-sata), 2 DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #2
Legal Senior Admin

Re: What is Virtual Clone Drive?

It's a free virtual drive program.
Old 11-11-2005   #3
New on Forum

Some people like to keep backups of DVDs or games on their hard disks. In order to keep the number of files to a manageable size they often use a program like CloneCD, Nero or Alcohol 120 to make an ISO Image of the disk. That is a single file that can be re-burnt without having to re-read the original disk.

Another neat thing about this is that several programs can also load these images directly and make them appear as real CD or DVD drives on your computer.

For instance, if you're fed up with having to put a game cd in every time you want to play a particular game, you can use Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120 or Virtual Clone Drive to load the image.

When you go into My Computer you will find the loaded image appear as a new drive, which you can explore or autorun in exactly the same way as a real DVD or CD.

Also, these programs often have the ability to trick the game into believing that the copy protection method used for that game is present on the virtual drive - often you will find that if you copy a game it won't work because of the copy protection software used by game developers.

Slysoft used to give this away for free with CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD, so it's well worth downloading. Another free program, similar to this is called Daemon Tools.

Word of warning - some PCs don't like Virtual CD Clone - and will blue screen every time it loads, so don't let it load automatically with Windows until you know where you stand. This is the reason I use Daemon Tools instead.
Old 11-11-2005   #4
MyCE Senior Member

Hmm. I assume 'mounting the image' is the same as putting the whole DVD or CD on the hard drive? Maybe I'm missing the point, but that would mean, in a game for example, that you actually have the whole CD/DVD of the game on the hard drive and then still have to install the game. Seems like a whole lot of space taken on the hard drive for this just to be able to not have to put the disk in every time the game is played. I don't have any experience with virtual drives but I don't really see the benefit to it. Of course my wife tells me I don't see a lot of things!

BTW, it still is free.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 (2x8) Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Crucial M500 120 GB SSD, WD 2 TB Black HDD, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (e-sata), 2 DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005   #5
Tru
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89
Hmm. I assume 'mounting the image' is the same as putting the whole DVD or CD on the hard drive? Maybe I'm missing the point, but that would mean, in a game for example, that you actually have the whole CD/DVD of the game on the hard drive and then still have to install the game. Seems like a whole lot of space taken on the hard drive for this just to be able to not have to put the disk in every time the game is played. I don't have any experience with virtual drives but I don't really see the benefit to it. Of course my wife tells me I don't see a lot of things!

BTW, it still is free.
Virtual CloneDrive (or similar programs) are handy, if:
1.) you want to play a DVD from an image file with PowerDVD, Zoom Player, etc.
2.) you want to open an image file with CloneDVD
3.) You want to play with AnyDVD settings on an image (AnyDVD only works with "drives", not "files")

You're right, it isn't an "essential" part required for DVD copying, but it can be very handy in some situations.
Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #6
CDFreaks Resident

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to disable Virtual Clone Drive 5.1.1.1, without uninstalling it?
thanks in advance
sockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #7
Tru
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockeye
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to disable Virtual Clone Drive 5.1.1.1, without uninstalling it?
thanks in advance
Sure. Set the number of drives to "none".
Old 10-01-2006   #8
CDFreaks Resident

I feel like a boob .
There it was, bigger than life in the drop down box for number of drives. Disabled
Thanks tru
Old 09-03-2006   #9
New on Forum

Does Virtual Clonedrive offer an option to put an icon down in the taskbar similar to daemon tools? I can't seem to find that option.

Thanks!
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006   #10
Tru
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern
Does Virtual Clonedrive offer an option to put an icon down in the taskbar similar to daemon tools? I can't seem to find that option.

Thanks!
No, but you don't need this. All options can be accessed by right clicking on the virtual drive.
Old 09-03-2006   #11
New on Forum

Don't I need to open explorer to do this? If there was a taskbar icon, I could mount and unmount images without opening explorer.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #12
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern
Don't I need to open explorer to do this? If there was a taskbar icon, I could mount and unmount images without opening explorer.
You can either open explorer, right click the virtual drive and choose create shortcut to desktop, or right click virtual clone drive from the start/programs menu and pin it to the start menu, which is almost as quick as a taskbar icon.
Or:
In My Computer or Windows Explorer, click the icon for the program you want to add, and then drag it to the Quick Launch portion of the taskbar located next to the Start button.
The icon for that program appears next to the other Quick Launch icons on the taskbar.

Notes

If the Quick Launch bar is not displayed, right-click an empty area on the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click Quick Launch.
If you right-click an empty area on the taskbar and do not see the Toolbars option, click Lock the Taskbar to clear the check mark.
Old 15-01-2008   #13
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogina View Post
Some people like to keep backups of DVDs or games on their hard disks. In order to keep the number of files to a manageable size they often use a program like CloneCD, Nero or Alcohol 120 to make an ISO Image of the disk. That is a single file that can be re-burnt without having to re-read the original disk.

When you go into My Computer you will find the loaded image appear as a new drive, which you can explore or autorun in exactly the same way as a real DVD or CD.

Word of warning - some PCs don't like Virtual CD Clone - and will blue screen every time it loads, so don't let it load automatically with Windows until you know where you stand. This is the reason I use Daemon Tools instead.
I am learning a new language. Rosetta Stone doesn't allow me to load the entire application to my computer so I don't have to load the cd every time I start a lesson (the cd is wearing out). I am trying to use Virtual Clone Drive to enable this. I have made image of the cd using Roxio. But I am unable to "load" the image to the clone drive. Just how does one do that or is it possible at all? I have tried drag & drop unsuccessfully.

Could you be more specific as to procedure?

Thanks for your help.
mobilengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008   #14
Legal Senior Admin

I suugest that you read through http://club.cdfreaks.com/f18/problem...rogram-165655/.