Old 04-04-2004   #1
New on Forum

Virtual CloneDrive for a Mac ?

Hi,

Just installed Clone DVD2 & VirtualCloneDrive on my PC, and it's great. Love the way I can watch DVD ISO's on a couple of PC's on my simple home network.

A question I have though is whether you can get a version of VirtualCloneDrive that will run on an Apple Mac ? If not, is there any other software out there that will do this ?

Cheers,
Old 05-04-2004   #2
CD Freaks Junior Member

As far as I know, It won't run on Mac. Sorry. I do not know any virtual drives for Mac.
Schnauze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #3
Original author of CloneCD and CloneDVD Author

Quote:
Originally posted by Schnauze
As far as I know, It won't run on Mac. Sorry. I do not know any virtual drives for Mac.
Although we do a MacOS X port of CloneDVD2, there are no plans to port Virtual CloneDrive to the MAC.
Is it true, that there are no virtual drives for MacOSX?
Maybe we should reconsider?
Old 05-04-2004   #4
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by Olli
Although we do a MacOS X port of CloneDVD2, there are no plans to port Virtual CloneDrive to the MAC.
Is it true, that there are no virtual drives for MacOSX?
Maybe we should reconsider?
Olli,
as a Mac user I just HAVE TO ask :-)) "MacOS X port of CloneDVD2": is there any timeframe for release? (I know, you must simply LOVE that question...) Next one: will there be a puplic beta, as well?

I don't know much about "Virtual CloneDrive", but as far as I can see from elby's web site, it's a software that takes disk images and mounts them so that other progs just "see" a real disk. If that's what Virtual CloneDrive's does, this functionality is already provided by "Disk Copy" (part of MacOSX).

Mike

Last edited by anotherMike; 05-04-2004 at 18:24.
anotherMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005   #5
New on Forum

Re: Virtual CloneDrive for a Mac ?

Olli,

Why is there a cloneDVD2:Mac in Japanese only and not in English? I know you love these question. But I too love CloneDVD2. I've been recommending it to all of my friends. But I share a PC with my roommate and I have a Mac for myself. My roommate is always on the PC, so I'm heavy on the Mac. And tried everything to use CloneDVD on my Mac to no success. I've tried virtual PC, no go, perhaps I only have 128MB of RAM allocated to PC, but I should be able to do something -- nothing. I even tried Popcorn, it falls way short of Clone DVD plus it comes with it own sets of problems. I was even considering just getting the Japanese version of CloneDVD2:Mac and try to get used to the wording myself and then found out that the program is (the cheapest I found) 14,000 Yen, that's $140!! I wouldn't mind paying that much for an English version of Mac, but a version I will have to guess what is what most of the time.... Please tell me you are working on an English Mac version, Please. I'll do anything, I'll beta test the program for you, anything!
evilronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005   #6
Original author of CloneCD and CloneDVD Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilronin
Olli,
Why is there a cloneDVD2:Mac in Japanese only and not in English?
Because it is licensed by PRO-G / livedoor, a japanese company. They funded a great deal of the CloneDVD2:mac developmement. And because the Mac has a very high market share in Japan. The biggest in the world.
Quote:
I even tried Popcorn, it falls way short of Clone DVD plus it comes with it own sets of problems.
What did you expect? It is from Roxio!
Quote:
I was even considering just getting the Japanese version of CloneDVD2:Mac and try to get used to the wording myself and then found out that the program is (the cheapest I found) 14,000 Yen, that's $140!! I wouldn't mind paying that much for an English version of Mac, but a version I will have to guess what is what most of the time.... Please tell me you are working on an English Mac version, Please. I'll do anything, I'll beta test the program for you, anything!
I am only the programmer (or should I say "chief software architect"? ), and it is probably no technical reason. I have CloneDVD2:mac running here with every language supported by the Windows version. I usually update the Mac version whenever I make a change to the Windows version, just because the Gnu C++ compiler on the Mac sometimes spots errors which are unnoticed with Visual C++.
The only technical part missing, is a keycode system for online keys.
The biggest problem are follow-up costs: Elaborate Bytes AG is unexperienced in the Mac market. They are afraid of technical support, they would need "Mac capable" support people, which must be trained, etc.
Other problems: DeCSS software on the Mac sucks. Mac the Ripper does strange things. I needed to copy over files from the windows pc using AnyDVD to see, that the problems I had with "Troy R2 german" were not caused by CloneDVD2:mac, but by defective ripping on the Mac.
AFAIK SlySoft has no plans to port AnyDVD to the Mac, which I can understand... It would probably be a complete rewrite, and nobody knows, if this will be rewarded in sales.
I personally would love to add DeCSS in CloneDVD, but Elaborate Bytes AG and PRO-G would both cut my throat, as the product would be illegal in Japan, the US and some european countries.

At the moment everybody involved in the show (Elaborate Bytes AG, and maybe SlySoft?) is looking at the japanese "CloneDVD2:mac" experiment. Sale has started end of last year, so I don't know yet, if CloneDVD2:mac is a success, at least it has to compete with big names like "Roxio Popcorn".
Success in Japan could influence the decision, if CloneDVD2:mac will be released worldwide or not. A decision will probably be made within the next three months.
Keep your fingers crossed, that many japanese people buy it!
Old 02-02-2005   #7
New on Forum

Thanks for the reply, however, I use DVD backup for Mac to remove CSS, Region, and Macrovision and have yet to run into a problem. Actually, sometimes I can't get my PC to import the disc, but my DVD Backup for Mac will work 99% of the time. Thanks for all the info. It was very useful, eventhough I did not pick up most of the technical jargon, but I get the idea. However, I still wish CloneDVD2 PC version would work on my Virtual PC for Mac, but if waiting is a must, then I guess waiting i must do. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Evilronin
evilronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006   #8
CD Freaks Rookie

Is there any new news on a English Macintosh Version I found the Japanese site and it looks like things are still up and running
Its been a long time since anything was posted in this thread and I am getting ready to buy a Mac so I am very curious about this
I have the Windows version but a Mac version would be Great
Thanks in advance for any info on this subject
Vegas830 is offline   Reply With Quote