Old 27-12-2005   #1
New on Forum

similar program to DVD shrink

I am looking for a similar program to DVD shrink or is there a different freeware program that shrinks the DVD. I would like your input on this. THANK YOU!
pnkymkychk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005   #2
CDFreaks Resident

Re: similar program to DVD shrink

What's wrong with DVD Shrink?
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005   #3
MyCE Resident

dvd shrink is my number one choice for freeware as far as shrinking goes.

clonedvd will also compress (and even save the menus) but it isn't free.

aside from those two, I don't have any recommendations at all. I haven't had good experiences with other programs.
reasonsnotrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005   #4
New on Forum

well i am trying to backup Madagascar, but I read that DVD shrink has probamatic with some new DVDs.
Old 27-12-2005   #5
MyCE Member

So what? You can grab it with AnyDVD, DVD4Free, DVDFABDecrypter to your HD and then shrink as usual.

Chetwood's DVD Snippets

Home of MultiShrink: a small tool to enable DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005   #6
CD Freaks Member

well I just used Nero Recode2 for the first time and can say I will never use dvdshrink again....Thats the punch line...There is no more debate...
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
well I just used Nero Recode2 for the first time and can say I will never use dvdshrink again....Thats the punch line...There is no more debate...
i don't see the point

dvdecrypter / pgcedit with psl2plugin (best) + dvdshrink = free solution
http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=56078

BenQ DW1640 BSLB
LG GSA-4163B A106
Pionner DVR-112 1.09
sonoluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005   #8
CDFreaks Resident

I know some people are members of the cult of PGCEdit, but DVD Fab Decrypter is free... and doesn't require an advanced degree in hunting down PML files to use.
Old 27-12-2005   #9
CD Freaks Member

His way works your way works. Blutach's all in one installer at dvf with the pls2 A plug-in wizard is easy, no advanced degree needed. Yours is two. "Members of the cult of PGCEdit" Is it necessary to label someone, that does things different than one's self.
cdanteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005   #10
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
A plug-in wizard is easy, no advanced degree needed
exactly, looks difficult but it's not , you only press next (or something, not sure right now). for me psl2plugin + dvd decrypter = / best solution

BenQ DW1640 BSLB
LG GSA-4163B A106
Pionner DVR-112 1.09
Old 28-12-2005   #11
CDFreaks Resident

I don't actually use DVDFab Decrypter. I was simply offering another completely free and easier alternative.

I use AnyDVD. It doesn't get easier than just not having to decrypt the disc at all.
Old 28-12-2005   #12
New on Forum

Well for this particulary DVD i used DVD Decrypter to get the files because the DVD was scratched and DVD shrink couldnt read it. So now when i went to compress the DVD it stopped like at 70% encoding and an error saying no memory when there is lots of memory left. When i went to look it up it said that some new DVDs wont compress with DVD shrink. I agree DVD shrink is great, just not with some DVDs. What does AnyDVD do? Is it freeware?
Old 28-12-2005   #13
CD Freaks Rookie

First, try pressing the Analyse button in DVD Shrink and see if the deep analysis fixes the problem.

Then, you can try processing the Movie with VobBlanker. There is an extra PGC in madagascar and all other Ripguard titles that may be causing the problem. What I did to back up a Ripguard title was use DVD Decrypter in File mode and then Blanked out the extra PGC and extra cells in the movie with VobBlanker. I also blanked out the extra garbage and all those FBI Warnings and Interpol crap.

After that DVD Shrink had no problems and the movie did not have to compress to fit on a DVD5.

About AnyDVD. This is not free. It costs $30, but there are discounts available from time to time. It is not like Decrypter because it does not do any ripping. What it does is remove copy protection on the fly. It does this while running in the background. Just look for the Red Fox on your system tray. You can then simply drag and drop a movie to your HD, or rip with your favorite ripper. It is a great program and updated within minutes if an update is needed.

If you do not want to spend money, then look into the PSL guide, but I do not see the need for those on Current Ripguard titles. Possibly in the Future. The PSLs are good for ARccOS titles though. They take 30 seconds to make. Just follow Cynthia's guide. The first time, it may take a few minutes, but once you do it once, you will see that it is nothing but three clicks of a mouse.

There are also other (slightly more complicated) ways to get past ARccOS and Ripguard. I did it using DVD Decrypter versions that are over 3 years old. Both of these corruption schemes are nothing more than a fancy way of putting a scratch on a disc. This is not a new encryption, so a program update for Decrypter is not needed, but updates just made it easier to rip movies. A PSL is really a manual update for DVD Decrypter and a very nice feature.

After the PSL, make sure the VTS is fixed with FixVTS otherwise DVD Shrink may have compression issues. This step is as simple as dragging a VOB file on the program and pressing the "Full-DVD" button. Takes 4 seconds to do and less than 5 minutes for the PC to process the movie.

Last edited by LordHeinrich; 28-12-2005 at 10:02. Reason: forgot to mention something
LordHeinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005   #14
New on Forum

You might want to check out DVD Rebuilder if you're looking for the best compression/shrinking program available. THere's a basic version and a Pro version but either one should work equally well. It's actually a shell that runs a suite of freeware programs.

You can also use a commercial encoder like CinemaCraft Encoder (basic version is $50) or something more elaborate like Canopus ProCoder in conjunction with DVD-RB. I use CCE basic and the results are far superior to DVD Shrink (i.e., higher resolution, almost no discernible loss, less graininess, etc.).

DVDShrink is a fine program and works pretty fast in comparison so it's basically a tradeoff of speed vs. quality. DVDShrink will process a full DVD in less than an hour whereas DVD Rebuilder can take five hours or more. I usually run it at night or when I leave for work in the morning.
captain_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005   #15
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
You can also use a commercial encoder like CinemaCraft Encoder (basic version is $50) or something more elaborate like Canopus ProCoder in conjunction with DVD-RB. I use CCE basic and the results are far superior to DVD Shrink (i.e., higher resolution, almost no discernible loss, less graininess, etc.).
i use HC Encoder, it's slower compare to CCE, but it's free and quality is similiar

BenQ DW1640 BSLB
LG GSA-4163B A106
Pionner DVR-112 1.09
Old 30-12-2005   #16
CD Freaks Senior Member

Location: Sometimes I am Here... and sometimes I am There... and sometimes I am neither Here nor There.:)

DVD Rebuilder is an outstanding freeware app.

The quality one will get on a 140 minute DVD is much better than the quality one will get with a transcoder on the same movie IMHO.

As a matter of fact, with DVD-RB there is no need to split disks to preserve quality as is done on some rather large movies like LOTR's by some people using transcoders.

I, also, like the HC encoder.

Regards,
Old 03-01-2006   #17
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoluca
i don't see the point

dvdecrypter / pgcedit with psl2plugin (best) + dvdshrink = free solution
http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=56078
Well in addition to that Nero Recode2 is faster and superior quality, it is made by the same author and is basically just the updated version of DVD Shrink after all. Still no match for DVD Rebuilder with HC/QuEnc/CCE though.
Mr. Horse is offline   Reply With Quote