Old 02-01-2007   #1
New on Forum

Scrambled source DVD?

I recently backed up my copy of Click, and when I tried to play the source disk, it would randomly return to the main menu, and sometimes when you tried to play the movie, the screen would go blank, and my dvd played would read "no disk". My copy of Fun with Dick and Jane also exhibited this behavior. I've been backing up my dvd's for a couple years, and this has never happened. Is there a new type of copy protection that scrambles the source disk? Thanks in advance for any helpful information.
tool250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #2
Copy Protection Detective

Re: Scrambled source DVD?

Welcome tool250,

thread moved.
kalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #3
MyCE Resident

You need to add info as to what software you used to rip and burn the disc.
Old 03-01-2007   #4
New on Forum

I ripped the VOB files to my HDD using the newest version of DVDfab decrypter, encoded the files to an ISO image using dvd shrink 3.2, and finally burned the image to DVD using Nero 6. I'm not having issues with the backup...it's the original source disk. When I try to play it in a home DVD player, it takes a dump. You try to play the movie from the main menu, the screen goes blank, and the DVD player reads "no disk". I've tried it in another DVD player, and it represents the same behavior. I thought a new type of copy protection might have came out that scrambled the original disk when it's ripped with a DVD-RW drive. Like it messes with the dyes on the disk or something. I'm sorta confused at the moment
Old 03-01-2007   #5
MyCE Resident

Your original cannot tell the difference between being played or read or ripped so the problems in the original have to do with protection errors, hardware in the player, or defects.

I often find my back ups play better than the originals as I dump all the extraneous garbage. The only way to find out is to play the original on a variety of players and if it is defective, return it.
Old 05-01-2007   #6
New on Forum

Alright, I test it on a few more players and see if that solves the problem. Thanks a lot!
Old 05-01-2007   #7
MyCE Resident

Sounds to me like you need to clean the laser on your player and or replace the player. There is no way that copying a dvd can cause any problems with the original dvd.
samlar is offline   Reply With Quote