Old 29-07-2004   #1
New on Forum

NTSC > PAL = region free

Okay here's the deal:

I've just ripped a R1 DVD with DVD Shrink and AnyDVD and want to view it in WinDVD before burning it - but's it's not working. Normally I only rip R2 DVD's since I'm located in Europe (well I guess that's not a matter of course ;o) but the R1 works fine in my DVD player.

At first when I was going to view it in WinDVD the region was set to R2. That didn't work and all I got was a black screen - the sound was allright.

Then I tried to watch the original R1 DVD in WinDVD which changed the region to 1 so that worked - and now I can view the ripped files too.

So how does all this add up? Souldn't the ripped files be region free?

What about my DVD drive that also have some region code - where does this play in?

Last - is there any easy way to convert the NTSC to PAL? I've found this: http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=11 but it's a bit old - is it still the same method?
je79ayps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2004   #2
New on Forum

Re: NTSC > PAL = region free

One thing - should I perhaps have changed the region in AnyDVD to R1 before ripping?
Old 06-08-2004   #3
Retired Senior Moderator

Rip the movie to your HD with DVD DEcrypter and it will be region free.

There are 3 levels of Region set on a PC. The Hardware can be Region set/locked or disabled. Windows itself has a Region setting and finally, so does your playback Software.

As for NTSC to PAL have a read here http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=62671

Please don't PM me with technical questions, use the Forum, that's what it's here for.
ChickenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #4
New on Forum

Thanks!