Old 04-02-2003   #1
New on Forum

Movie Freezes towards the End

I ripped the Mummy for a backup, the size of the file was 4.465, and it burned OK, plays all the way to the end, on my PC, but when I play it in a stand alone player models apex 1500, and apex 500w, cinevision, it freezes, at about 1Hr and 56 minutes, I tried other media sony dvd +r, Ritek -r, same problem. Does the size of the output have anything to do with the problem ?????
Also, for the record I have a Sony DRU-500a firm 1.0f, also tried 01.0g, the software i used was Recordnow Max DX 6.5 and also tried InstantDVD 6.5. Before anyone says to try dvdxcopy, I did and on the second disk it's picking up parts from the first disk. If I knew what to look for in infoedit, that would fix my problem on the second disk
bkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003   #2
New on Forum

tried 1x burn?

Hi , had the same problem with my -R discs, verified after burn and all said 100% , on the computer using WINDVD no problem then playing on my pioneer dvd player pixelations and hangs at the end of the movies.

What I found out is that burning 2x on my Sony 500 was not fullproof, probably it used the lossless linking sometimes which PC drives have no problem with but standalone dvd player may have serious problems with.

Solution:
I forced the burner to burn 1x max on -R's and since then I had no problems.

It's weird cause a friend of mine has the same Sony and the same brand DVD-R's but can burn 2x without problem, I guess it also is dependend on motherboard, OS etc. etc.

Greetz Kjelt
Kjelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

i had the same problem by burning Ritek DVD-Rs using Nero 5.0.10.7. i then used ImgTools to create an img file and then used DVDDecrypter to burn it. flawless.
Old 05-02-2003   #4
New on Forum

Iv'e had this problem with some movies after DVD2One transcoding. I copied the vobs to a new VIDEO_TS folder and created new IFO's in IFO Edit they then worked fine.

I knew it wasn't the media as I use the same brand mostly. I have read posts about the ifo's being made with DVD2One causing compatabilty probs.
Toshburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003   #5
New on Forum

I had the same problem - towards the end it freezes up if I use
Nero for burning. I tried with RecordNow - works fine.
Ktajudeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003   #6
New on Forum

:)

had the same probs tried every different combination of stuff possible
funny thing is one can stick at end of film so burn it again exactly the same n it turns out fine got it down now where most films are ok and odd one needs redoing - this i can live with but theres no logic in why it happens can copy a two n half hour film like gladiator fine copy a 100min movie n it stiks ?
Old 14-02-2003   #7
CD Freaks Member

Re: Movie Freezes towards the End

Quote:
Originally posted by bkramer
I ripped the Mummy for a backup, the size of the file was 4.465, and it burned OK, plays all the way to the end, on my PC, but when I play it in a stand alone player models apex 1500, and apex 500w, cinevision, it freezes, at about 1Hr and 56 minutes, I tried other media sony dvd +r, Ritek -r, same problem. Does the size of the output have anything to do with the problem ?????
Also, for the record I have a Sony DRU-500a firm 1.0f, also tried 01.0g, the software i used was Recordnow Max DX 6.5 and also tried InstantDVD 6.5. Before anyone says to try dvdxcopy, I did and on the second disk it's picking up parts from the first disk. If I knew what to look for in infoedit, that would fix my problem on the second disk
after reading your post i tried to do the mummy too. i also got freezes and pixels in chapter17,when benny activates the switch that closes the doors. its probably a flaw in the original dvd made worse by re processing.
jwo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2003   #8
New on Forum

Software Problem?

Until I found this forum I thought maybe my standalone Pioneer DVD player was not totally compatible with the Datasafe 1x DVD -media i was using with Sony 500A. I have exactly the same problem occuring right at the end of movies with the end result sometimes being a complete lock up. I have used both Nero and Recordnow and the fault still crops up. However, if the whole movie fits a 4.3G DVD and i just rip with DVD Decoder and straight back out onto DVDR with Nero or Recordnow there are no problems at all. I now have Prassi so i'll give that a go with DVD2ONE.
kvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2003   #9
New on Forum

My "Brotherhood of the Wolf" rip did the same thing. About 15 minutes to go until the end of the movie and got a stutter freeze, no sound, then it kicked backed in and the movie finished fine. Burned with RecordNow Max 4.5. I have a Pioneer 105 with 1.21 firmware burner and Standalone Pioneer DV-525 player.

Other movies have completed fine...just wish I could get rid of the layer break pause, all region 1 DVD9's I've done with dvd2one seem to do that.

Excellent quality on all.
Ilike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2003   #10
CD Freaks Rookie

Freezes, skips and other such wierd things

I read through these posts and many more from not only this site and from other forum sites as well. Common denominator is....nothing.. literally. You all have different systems, with different set ups ie. motherboard, amount or RAM type of RAM..DDR vs SDR, CPU types, hard drives, (Maxtor, IBM, Western Digital), different DVD drives and different DVD burners. You even have different Burner software from one to another. Also, perhaps Different ASPI layers in your operating system, and different downloaded plug-ins. And you say it doesn't work.

You know I can burn my DVD's in Nero 3 different ways and set up different settings in the "preferences" section? AND in those 3 different DVD settings I can also make other choices that affect the outcome of the burn. That's one software.

I use DVD Decrypter. You ever take a look at all the setting available in the "settings" menu? Hundreds of choices. and in with combinations of one to another it ends up in Hundreds of Thousands of different combinations. Think about it. just choose WNASPI32.dll over the other 4 choice and you have a whole new setting. go into one of the other menu settings and again, you have a whole new set of rules. goes on and on.

Some people use a blank AUDIO_TS and others don't ... personally I use it on the burn, as it takes up little space and it just might make a difference.. but might not

Oh yes.... the freezes and such... Ever use your computer to do some other stuff as it burns? Do you know the CPU and memory are busy swaping things back and forth from Hard drive (some read at 66 and others like mine read at ATA 133 *133Megabytes/sec ), into the DVD burner hardware you have? Ever try to concentrate on a problem when there are 2 people each asking you differnt questions at the same time? Give your computer some "quality" time.. leave it alone for awhile when it is decrypting, re-encoding or as in the case of DVD2ONE... transcoding and for heavens sake especially while burning.

Another interesting note I pass along that I do and never have any problems with burned DVDs .... ever.. There's a idea here.. if someone is successful, do what they do (emulate) and your success is less likely to come in by chance.... When I burn I leave the room. I know it sounds odd, but I am the winemaker at a large winery. We use sterile filters to polish the wine of yeasts and other things and filter down to .45 micron. Some of the sterile filters are down to .60 micron.. NOW.. what does this have to do with burning? DVDs are different than CDs. What you can get by with on a CD burn you may not get by with on a DVD. Reasons a DVD can hold so much more information than a CD is the structure of the media and the way it burns. The tracks, the area used to burn information, on a DVD are some .79 micron in width. Think about me filtering out yeast at .45 and then think about a track that is only .79 micron wide. This is why DVDs can get so much info and also WHY the burner is so much more expensive than a CD burner. It has to hold a MUCH greater tolerence. What happens if the computer gets bumped during a burn? Can the tracks mis-align? Remember....they are only 79 millionth of an inch away from each other. So.. I start the burn and very quietly leave the room for the duration, or simply go to bed and look at it in the morning when I get up. Done by then....long done.

Maybe I'm a funny old man, doing funny old ways, but I've never burned a coaster with DVD Decrypter and DVD2ONE and Nero yet.. QUICK!!! find me some wood to knock on!!! LOL

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill !"
vljenewein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2003   #11
CD Freaks Member

alcohol

since my last post i have found the soloution to my freezes problem,alcohol.
i convinced myself that the source dvds were at fault. but then i cleaned one of the dvds i was backing up and tried it again and it was fine. i also had to clean a couple of my dvd-rw's, they did the same thing,freezes and pixels,the finger prints on the dvd or the dvd-rw's did not appear to be bad enough to cause problems,but after going back to all the movies that i was having this problem with,about 5,i did find fingerprints,mostly on the OUTSIDE EDGE where i had held them,which made sense since most of the problems were at the end of the movies. and they did work after i cleaned the source dvd and the dvd-rw's and re burned. if i was using an rw i made damn sure it was clean also BEFORE i burned. i am now in the habit of cleaning the dvds i back up with alcohol whether they look dirty or not. it is apparent to me now that a nearly invisible fingerprint on a store bought dvd that wont cause any problems in a player can be a big problem when ripping or re processing. likewise a fingerprint on a dvd-rw that might not be bad with other re encodeing methods seems to be more of a problem with a dvd2one dvd. the re compressed data must be more touchy. i dont know if this is your problem,but at the very least for the sake of eliminating all possibilities,i recomend inspecting and cleaning your media. i hope this helps.
jwo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2003   #12
New on Forum

the "freeze problem" at the middle or near the end of a movie has got nothing to do with either Nero, Recordmax, dvddecrypter or dvd2one !

I have experienced this a lot !

this is just a matter of media. you have to find your own configuration according to your burner and your dvd player (not the one on you PC)

Some cheap dvd-r can work for someone and cannot work for somebody else, there is no written rule...

I have tried many different dvd-r but I have now found my configuration.

I have an external Archos burner, I have a Pioneer 535 player and I use Princo dvd-r that I pay 1,06 euro and they work fine !!!
nicofieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2003   #13
CD Freaks Rookie

Media to use

I like Ritek 4X I got from Rima.com at 2.00 US each. got a 25 pack to try out. Before you decide on sleep forever on a mattress you like to sleep just once on it. I have also used TDK and Maxell both at 2X with no problems. I use a Pioneer DVR-105 burner. I had a 10 pack of CMC media I got cheap from Office Max and threw the last 5 away in the trash withough any thought. at 1.50 each they were the most expensive media I bought.. think about it.

Alcohol makes some sense.. I personally like mine in my wine.

You have a great day and talk to you later!!

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill !"
vljenewein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008   #14
New on Forum

Help
I have had a slew of freeze up problemjs on various DVD players recently
Any ideas?
Most recently, my 1 year old $200 JVC player is freezing up about 2/3 though commercial brand new DVD's. It has happen on about 50% of the new DVD's I try. I cleaned the player with a DVD disk with brushes on it.
The player freezes up and does not respond to any buttons on the remote. I turn off the player, restart and the DVD freezes at the exact same spot again. I have put the DVD's through one of the spinning DVD/CD cleaners - no help
I run the DVD and select chapters, skipping earlier ones and it still will freeze at the same spot each time.
After reading many of your submissions, I still have not gotten a clue. One post says the laser sensor is probably failing. Is this common enough to be happening. I bought an inexpensive TV/DVD combo and after about 3 months it was doing this also. Cleaning did not help. The JVC I figured was a better quality, but now I am stuck with it also
Anything you can help me with would be appreciated. I kinda got a feeling I will have to buy another, but are there any options?
Thanks
kirkham715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008   #15
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham715 View Post
Help
I have had a slew of freeze up problemjs on various DVD players recently
Any ideas?
Most recently, my 1 year old $200 JVC player is freezing up about 2/3 though commercial brand new DVD's. It has happen on about 50% of the new DVD's I try. I cleaned the player with a DVD disk with brushes on it.
The player freezes up and does not respond to any buttons on the remote. I turn off the player, restart and the DVD freezes at the exact same spot again. I have put the DVD's through one of the spinning DVD/CD cleaners - no help
I run the DVD and select chapters, skipping earlier ones and it still will freeze at the same spot each time.
After reading many of your submissions, I still have not gotten a clue. One post says the laser sensor is probably failing. Is this common enough to be happening. I bought an inexpensive TV/DVD combo and after about 3 months it was doing this also. Cleaning did not help. The JVC I figured was a better quality, but now I am stuck with it also
Anything you can help me with would be appreciated. I kinda got a feeling I will have to buy another, but are there any options?
Thanks
My JVC DVD player started occasionally hanging up after it was 3+ yrs. old.
I tried a DVD cleaning disc with the brushes, & it helped a little, but ultimately, the occasional freeze-ups continued and started getting worse.
I unplugged the player from the wall socket, disconnected it from everything, carefully opened it up and manually cleaned the lenses (it had 2 side-by-side)
Use camera lense cleaner fluid-it's designed specifically for optics-because it's non-abrasive & it won't leave any residue. If your lense cleaner doesn't come with accompanying cleaning wipes, I use a SMOOTH, LINT-FREE cloth-like a soft piece of white t-shirt. I soaked a small section of the cloth with the cleaner (did not apply cleaner directly to lenses) and gently rubbed the lenses thoroughly. Then, I switched to a dry part of the cloth and gently, but thoroughly, buffed the lenses dry. Make sure you don't leave residue, or else you replace one residue film with another.
My player finally locked up, as stated above, completely. After cleaning the lenses with actual fluid, it has been working fine evey since. It is now 4+ yrs. old.
I hope this helps...

Apps. I use:Skyrim, Pro Tools, Xtreme Media

Don't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

30 Rock-Fwd & back again...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofsbJzOt_AY&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYuQHNQ_BHY
chosenfew777 is offline   Reply With Quote