List of DVD Decrypter Alternatives

Add as you find them

(OS - Program)

1. WIN - SmartRipper
adorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: List of DVD Decrypter Alternatives

There's also vStrip but neither it nor SmartRipper can really qualify as viable alternatives as they haven't been updated in years and Decrypter is still miles ahead of them so might as well just stick to using it; after all there's no reason you have to stop using Decrypter immediately just because it's no longer in development. The problem comes from the fact that any successor or alternative to Decrypter must be regularly updated to take account of new ARccOS methods and any other techniques that are introduced- such as RipGuard.
Mr. Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #3
CD Freaks Senior Member

Dvdshrink with Dvd43free
tigerman8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #4
CDFreaks Resident

4. AnyDVD with any re-authoring/mastering program. (Or DVD Region Free and thelike, but for some reason, AnyDVD is the only program I can get running reliably on my systems).
My optical drives: NEC ND-4550A(1.X7)@ND-4551A(1.Z2) / NEC ND-3500AG(2.FC_QV3ME) / NEC ND-3500AG/BTE(2.FC_QV3ME) / Philips DW1650@BenQ DW1650(BCIC) / Philips CDRWDVD3210 Combo / LiteOn LTR-32123S@40125S / LiteOn LTD-165H(CH12 Quiet patch)
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerman8u
Dvdshrink with Dvd43free
Not a bad option. DVD43 is still updated, most recently to cope with Arccos. It's a little cranky for some people, sometimes works better if you play the DVD for a minute first on your software player, then close the player and start DVD43. Worth a try. But DVDDecrypter will be fine for a good while yet.
fritzi93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #6
MyCE Resident

Isn't there already a type of ARccOS that the last version of Decrypter can't handle?
Mr. Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Horse
Isn't there already a type of ARccOS that the last version of Decrypter can't handle?
Dunno, maybe on "The Closer", Region 2? One guy reported problems in a thread over at videohelp. It's only just been released in Region 2, so who knows if it's user error or what. The latest version of DVDFab mentions it. AnyDVD reportedly has no trouble with it. Otherwise, not that I know of.
fritzi93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #8
nwg
CD Freaks Senior Member

It's the UK version of Closer that is causing the problems with DVDD.

There is already PSL files being made for the R2 Italian and Dutch versions of Closer. It will be only a matter of time before someone does the same thing with the UK version.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=51071

AnyDVD will eventually do it as well.
nwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #9
New on Forum

Hi there
I sometimes use Magic DVD Ripper v3.x. It has been able to rip one or two DVD movies that the Decrypter could not. It does not have many tweaks, though. (WIN)

Last edited by fiberain; 10-06-2005 at 00:15. Reason: clarification
fiberain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #10
New on Forum

Hi guys, this is my first post. Came along to the site in my hunt to find a decrypter to rip the "Closer" UK Region 2 version.

I have been a regular user of DVD decrypter since its inception and was majorly bummed when I found out 'The Man' had it shut down. It was unable to rip Closer and so through my hunt I tried several alternative programmes.

DVD43Free was up first, and the most recent version failed with Closer despite the programme assuring me that it had worked.

Next was AnyDVD - I used version 5.2.3.1 which specifically stated that it was able to rip the UK Closer DVD. No luck there either.

Next was DVD Decrypter after using a psl for Closer UK that someone posted a link to... and, alas you guessed it, no joy again!!!

However my regular checking of the CDFreaks forum paid off, someone claimed that DVD Region+CSS Free worked for them, and low and behold, it did work. A choir of Angels sung halleluliah and all was right with the world again.

I'm going to continue working with DVD Decrypter because I prefer to rip the whole DVD to my hard drive first before converting it, but in the instances where new versions of arcoss are concerned, I think that DVD Region+CSS Free will be next on the list.
LotsaLyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005   #11
CDFreaks Resident

From what I hear, Macrovision is the company that shut down DVD Decrypter. Perhaps the UK Closer is the first title to use Macrovision's RipGuard? Might help explain things, as I imagine that Lightning UK wouldn't have found RipGuard any more challenging to overcome than Arccos.

Perhaps Olli could shed some more light?
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2005   #12
CD Freaks Senior Member

Location: Sometimes I am Here... and sometimes I am There... and sometimes I am neither Here nor There.:)

A New Free Program Here will handle the newer ARccOS protection. Add it to your list

Did I mention that it is FREE.

Regards,
feedback10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2005   #13
MyCE Rookie

...and also to try these as well:
DVD95Copy, Clone DVD (dvd-software.biz), DVD Copy Tools (dvd-copy.us)
DVDX and my favorite MagicDVD ripper (magicdvdripper.com)

greetings
Arktos
Arktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2005   #14
CDFreaks Resident

Why not simply use AnyDVD + DVDDecrypter.
let anydvd just do the descrambling part.
look here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=95712
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005   #15
MyCE Rookie

...i thought its about alternatives for dvdd?!...
Arktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2005   #16
New on Forum

Yeah, but will any of the software work if the drive never sees the disc? I've backed up over 200 of my DVDs so far without a problem, except for "Catwoman". The movie plays fine in my Toshiba DVD player and my portable player, but when I put it into my computer LG 4160 drive, all the software I've tried says "No Disc" in the drive. What's up with that? Is it my LG DVD Writer that's flawed? If so, how come all the other DVDs backed up just fine? Any tips or suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks!
bdm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2005   #17
Original author of CloneCD and CloneDVD Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
4. AnyDVD with any re-authoring/mastering program. (Or DVD Region Free and thelike, but for some reason, AnyDVD is the only program I can get running reliably on my systems).
AnyDVD with the copy command from the DOS prompt.
Old 18-06-2005   #18
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli
AnyDVD with the copy command from the DOS prompt.
Even that will do (cheers to AnyDVD)! Except that the dos command prompt doesn't handle remastering/recompression So to fit a DVD9 to a DVD5 recordable, you'll need something more.
My optical drives: NEC ND-4550A(1.X7)@ND-4551A(1.Z2) / NEC ND-3500AG(2.FC_QV3ME) / NEC ND-3500AG/BTE(2.FC_QV3ME) / Philips DW1650@BenQ DW1650(BCIC) / Philips CDRWDVD3210 Combo / LiteOn LTR-32123S@40125S / LiteOn LTD-165H(CH12 Quiet patch)
Old 18-06-2005   #19
Original author of CloneCD and CloneDVD Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
Even that will do (cheers to AnyDVD)! Except that the dos command prompt doesn't handle remastering/recompression So to fit a DVD9 to a DVD5 recordable, you'll need something more.
True, but DVDDecrypter doesn't do this either, and this thread is called " List of DVD Decrypter Alternatives".
Old 19-06-2005   #20
CDFreaks Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli
True, but DVDDecrypter doesn't do this either, and this thread is called " List of DVD Decrypter Alternatives".
You're right...
Old 20-06-2005   #21
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman
Why not simply use AnyDVD + DVDDecrypter.
let anydvd just do the descrambling part.
look here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=95712
Amen to that.

Optiarc AD-7173A ( Liggy And Dee 1-O3)
BenQ DW1655 (BCIB Patched by The Dangerous Brothers)
BenQ DW1640 (BSRB Patched by The Dangerous Brothers)
TSST TS-L632H (crossflashed to SN-S082H SB01(L) and MSCE'd)
*retired* NEC ND-3540A (Liggy And Dee 1.WB)
*retired* BenQ DW1670 (1.03)
*retired* NEC ND-3500AG (Liggy And Dee 2.TG)
DARcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005   #22
CD Freaks Member

I am curious,

what is the advantage to using both dvdd and anydvd at the same time?
isnt using anydvd by itself enough?
jwo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005   #23
nwg
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwo62
I am curious,

what is the advantage to using both dvdd and anydvd at the same time?
isnt using anydvd by itself enough?

Because DVD Decrypter is no more and cannot handle new protections that come out. As long as AnyDVD is updated, DVD Decrypter will be able to rip any DVD. The same can be said for AnyDVD with Shrink.

AnyDVD by itself cannot decrypt a DVD and copy the files. It needs another program to rip the files on the fly while AnyDVD decrypts on the fly at the same time.

I also use AnyDVD to make my region 2 drive read a region 1 with DVD Decrypter.
nwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005   #24
CD Freaks Member

thanks nwg,

that explains why I cant just drag and drop the dvd files when anydvd is running.

I am trying out anydvd and clonedvd2 as a new alternate to my favorite program for dvd backup program.

since dvdd is living on borrowed time,its time to start looking for alternatives,in my opinion.

Jim
jwo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005   #25
New on Forum

backed up uk version of "closer" with no probs,using latest dvd43(v3.5.3) and dvd decrypter(v3.5.4)-tried new dvdfab prog first,but resulting file(6.89GB) could not be opened by shrink!-no such probs with above ripped in usual fast time-dvd43 can be uninstalled/re-installed without causing probs-anydvd ,in my experience,cant-plus dvd43 is FREE!!
heathen is offline   Reply With Quote