Old 19-07-2003   #1
New on Forum

How long does it take to convert a DVD movie into other movie format?

It took me about 1 hour and 25 minutes to convert a 95 minutes long DVD movie into VCD. (Not include rip the DVD into HD time)
The VCD quality is normal, it's just like the standard VCD resolution, 352*240.

My computer:
AMD XP 1700+
256 DDR RAM
60GB 5600RMP HD
Windows XP Home Editon

What do you guys think? Did it took too long for me to convert it or it's just normal conversion speed?

It would be great if you can tell me how long did it took you to convert a DVD movies into any movie format, it would be even better if you include your computer infomation.
Old 19-07-2003   #2
CD Freaks Troll

90 minute DVD movie w/ DD 5.1 soundtrack

to

DivX 5.05 AVI 720x344 video, Lanzcos3 filter, 2-Pass encoding, Normal Psychovisual Enhancements. 128/kbps MP3 Audio with FraunhoferMP3CodecPro. Using VirtualDub.

Total Time = 3 hours (Might be off a bit, need to encode something to confirm that. Haven't encoded in a while since I bought a couple DVD writers.)
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2003   #3
Retired Senior Moderator

Have a read in the DVD to VCD Tutorial, there are some times quoted in there. The main thing that affects time (except the length of the movie ) is you CPU speed..

Please don't PM me with technical questions, use the Forum, that's what it's here for.
ChickenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2003   #4
Legal Senior Admin

Re: How long does it take to convert a DVD movie into other movie format?

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyingDragon
It took me about 1 hour and 25 minutes to convert a 95 minutes long DVD movie into VCD.
That's actually pretty fast. Quicker than I get with the same cpu and same amount of ram. Only relevant differences between your rig and mine is that I've got sd ram instead of ddr ram and I run win98 instead of XP.
Old 19-07-2003   #5
Retired Senior Moderator

The key to your fast ending time, is TMPGen set to "Normal", that make a poor quality VCD but does it real quick.

Please don't PM me with technical questions, use the Forum, that's what it's here for.
Old 20-07-2003   #6
New on Forum

Man, I don't want no nonsense, all I want to see is what time does it take you to encode a DVD movie.
Remember, no nonsense, just like the example that i gave you, time to encode, and your computer info.
Old 20-07-2003   #7
New on Forum

Null

Last edited by FlyingDragon; 21-07-2003 at 03:42.
FlyingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2003   #8
Retired Senior Moderator

You fail to realise that converting a DVD to VCD as you gave your example of, the time to encode depends on more than your PC specs. Its the software you use and the settings you select that can have a dramatic effect on encode time. All your going to end up with is a hotch pock of unrelated info such as what stoner submitted as its got nothing to do with VCD, but with DivX.

Or is that what your after ? As I said earlier the times I get for VCD encoding using the settings as outlined are all in the Tutorials.

Any further shouting in CAPITALS will also see this thread closed, I hope that is clear.

Old 21-07-2003   #9
CD Freaks Troll

Well, the title did ask for "other movie format". AFAIK, VCD's a very inferior quality format to begin w/ and even worst when done in the hands of amateurs.

DivX is my fav space saving video format when I don't want to use my expensive DVD+R.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2003   #10
New on Forum

Whatever, Chick!
You can close the thread if you want to, I don't really give a care, because there's no people reply to thread in this forum anyway, only you and Stoner are the one who actually reply to threads instead of just watching like so many guest do.
Anyway, I only appreciat that you and stoner apply me.
Thank you
Old 02-08-2003   #11
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
It took me about 1 hour and 25 minutes to convert a 95 minutes long DVD movie into VCD. (Not include rip the DVD into HD time)

what the hell??
i hate you.

if i remember correctly.......................not sure.................but think............ that on my old athlon xp 1700
512 SDRAM
80 gig 7200rpm ibm (dma enabled)
windows 98

it took me 4 hours to convert a episode of buffy the vampire slayer to vcd(50 minutes). and i even had more ram ! (SDRAM tho)
its slightly different tough, my source was a tv capture in either uncompressed or sometimes huffyuv(whatever its called ) avi.

im not sure if it was regular vcd or svcd tho.
when i think about it im not even sure if it was 4 hours
or 2. it mightve been 4 hours for buffy + Angel witch i usually encoded together and then sliced apart.
but i think it was really 4 hours ,
that probably didnt make no sense at all rofl.

how did you manage to do it that fast tough?
The Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003   #12
Retired Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyingDragon
Whatever, Chick!
You can close the thread if you want to, I don't really give a care, because there's no people reply to thread in this forum anyway, only you and Stoner are the one who actually reply to threads instead of just watching like so many guest do.
Anyway, I only appreciat that you and stoner apply me.
Thank you
Take it easy mate! If you read back the replies you'll see that you got your answer. If you convert to vcd in normal conditions with your hardware, the time it took you is normal. However if you want a more quality vcd you'll need more time to convert. (also other software may need more time)

So please don't react in the way you do, or refrase the question if you're not saticfied with the answer.
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003   #13
CD Freaks Senior Member

uhhh..... wookie, what exactly is wrong with my answer?

after re-readin it i agree it comes across a bit.... well, hyper.
i was in a hurry.... nothing hostile tho

and i know he probably used poor settings, but theres only so many ways to encode a vcd and thats still fast,
well ,unless his output is disgustingly poor.
Old 03-08-2003   #14
Retired Senior Moderator

Re: ..

Quote:
Originally posted by The Shadow
.....and thats still fast,
well ,unless his output is disgustingly poor.
Thats the whole point, quality is not mentioned anywhere and that has a big bearing on the tiime it takes.

One might as well just ask

"How long is a piece of string?"

Expect every answer to be different.

Old 04-08-2003   #15
Retired Admin

Re: ..

Quote:
Originally posted by The Shadow
uhhh..... wookie, what exactly is wrong with my answer?
If you read my reply you saw I wasn't talking about a wrong answer that you posted but that I was talking about the way FlyingDragon (look at who I quoted) reacted to the answers he got.

Check Chickenman's latest reply.

Last edited by Wookie; 04-08-2003 at 15:07.
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003   #16
CD Freaks Senior Member

i feel stupid now
Old 28-12-2006   #17
MyCE Member

hi can anyone help me i dont know much about computers but i want to convert my avi files to dvd so i can play it on dvd player. can anyone tell me what good programe and also how long it takes i got one programe and by 3 hours not even close to be done so i gave up.

this is daves girlfriend.

his a lovely boyfriend
Dave McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006   #18
MyCE Member

Please help my girl! you would if you knew her!
Dave McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006   #19
MBK
MyCE Resident

There's the free AVI2DVD, but it does take a bit longer than the commercial programs and sometimes might have audio sync issues, but for free, hey?

The fastest is probably 1ClickDVDMovie from LGSI, can do that 3 hour avi in maybe an hour to an hour and a half...and the quality will be great with no audio sync issues.

VSO's ConvertXToDVD also is a great program and is just as good as 1ClickDVDMovie.

TMPGenc is another conversion program, but I didn't care for it's output very much.

There you go, a few to check out. They all come with free trial periods...
MSI P45 Platinum (Beta BIOS v1.7b9) LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q9550 2.83GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 3.6 GHz)
EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB GDDR2 Video Card
G.SKILL 4GB DDR2-1066 SDRAM
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB - SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG SH-S183L 18X SATA DVD±R
*SAMSUNG SH-S203B 20X SATA DVD±R
*SAMSUNG SH-S203N 20X SATA DVD±R
*LG UH08LS10K 8x SATA Bluray±R
*LG GH22NP 22X IDE DVD±R
MBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006   #20
CD Freaks Elite

If you already have nero (6 or 7), it can do a decent enough job. Make sure you update it though as earlier versions (with 6 or 7) had some problems. Just look for the make your own dvd video option under start smart, add the files and make some simple menus. Its decent enough for an all in one program.
Here are other all in one converters
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=35#35
By all in one converter, I mean a program that does the whole procedure from one program. You can use multiple programs (and the results can be better) but it is harder to learn to do and some of the all in one converters do a decent enough job with most files.
ripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006   #21
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDragon
The VCD quality is normal, it's just like the standard VCD resolution, 352*240.

My computer:
AMD XP 1700+
256 DDR RAM
60GB 5600RMP HD
Windows XP Home Editon

What do you guys think? Did it took too long for me to convert it or it's just normal conversion speed?

It would be great if you can tell me how long did it took you to convert a DVD movies into any movie format, it would be even better if you include your computer infomation.

My specs:

P4 3.0 GHZ
512 MB Dual Channel DDR (just ordered 2GB, 2x1GB sticks)
200 GB Maxtor HD
Windows XP
creative vision:w (widescreen) [in transit via amazon]

Using Slysoft ANY DVD, CLONE DVD, CLONE DVD mobile.

Movie: Dirty Work (Artie Lange, Norm McDonald) - 1h:21m:29s (movie time)

Clone DVD
DVD to PC - about 22 minutes (entire DVD: menu and movie)

CLONE DVD mobile:
VOB to AVI - 31 minutes (480x272;1GB)
DodgerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007   #22
New on Forum

I was wondering how long the normal conversion times are...I converted a DVD to .wmv and it took three days. I have an emachine, running Windows XP, with an Intel Celeron processor, and 3 gigs of RAM. The ticker at the bottom said I was converting something like 1-3fps.

I was also wondering if I can save the movie, from DVD, to my pc and just change the file extension to make it faster?
tmw94777 is offline   Reply With Quote