Old 12-07-2004   #1
CD Freaks Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 396
Highest quality transcoder

I was wondering what are the best dvd transcoders outer there in quality. I use dvd shrink but the quality there isn't the best of everything, So can some1 name a few good ones.
nooby god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #2
CDFreaks Resident
 
btspm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Porn Valley, CA, USA
Posts: 611
Re: Highest quality transcoder

CCE SP (if you have $2000 USD to spend)
CCE Basic is almost as good for $58
__________________
Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
btspm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #3
New on Forum
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 25
Re: Highest quality transcoder

I personally like CloneDVD 2. I have tried DVD Shrink, DVD2One and all the others. I like the quality and functionality of Clone the best.
skfields01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #4
CD Freaks Senior Member
 
BlackWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 484
Re: Highest quality transcoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by btspm
CCE SP (if you have $2000 USD to spend)
CCE Basic is almost as good for $58
Theses are not transcoders, but rather encoders. You might try skfields01's suggestions if you wish to stay with a transcoder, by far the easiest solution. If you are still dissatisfied you might try DVD Rebuilder on doom9.net but then you will need CCE.
BlackWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #5
CD Freaks Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 51
Re: Highest quality transcoder

Has anyone compared encoding speeds of DVD Rebuilder to other apps like DVDshrink?
DVDCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004   #6
CDFreaks Resident
 
btspm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Porn Valley, CA, USA
Posts: 611
Re: Highest quality transcoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDCake
Has anyone compared encoding speeds of DVD Rebuilder to other apps like DVDshrink?
Slooooooooooooow

For DVD-RB 6 hours for a 3 pass encode on a 1.4 Ghz P4, 3 hours for 3 pass on a 2.8 Ghz P4 and about 5 hours for a 5 pass on the 2.8.

My friend rarely needs more than an hour for DVDshrink and most of the time, quite a bit less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWolf
Theses are not transcoders, but rather encoders.
True, but with DVD Rebuilder, it's just as easy as any other one-click solution. And usually if someone is interested in top quality, they aren't much bothered by a litttle extra encoding time.
__________________
Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
btspm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 396
Re: Highest quality transcoder

btspm is right, if u want high quality u don't mind the extra time. dvdrebuilder sounds good. i'll look into that.
nooby god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004   #8
CD Freaks Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 396
Re: Highest quality transcoder

apprently dvd builder can also use QuEnc(ffmpeg) encoder or the ReJig transcoder as alternatives to CCE. How do those encoders compare?
nooby god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004   #9
Ghosters
No longer with us
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Highest quality transcoder

How do those encoders compare?
like chalk & cheese. CCE rules
  Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004   #10
CD Freaks Senior Member
 
BlackWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 484
Re: Highest quality transcoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by btspm
Slooooooooooooow
For DVD-RB 6 hours for a 3 pass encode on a 1.4 Ghz P4, 3 hours for 3 pass on a 2.8 Ghz P4 and about 5 hours for a 5 pass on the 2.8.

My friend rarely needs more than an hour for DVDshrink and most of the time, quite a bit less.

...if someone is interested in top quality, they aren't much bothered by a litttle extra encoding time.
Unfortunately as you so aptly pointed out it's not "just a little extra encoding time."
BlackWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004   #11
CDFreaks Resident
 
btspm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Porn Valley, CA, USA
Posts: 611
Re: Highest quality transcoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWolf
Unfortunately as you so aptly pointed out it's not "just a little extra encoding time."
I guess it's all relative to us 'quality whores'

Tying up my comp for a day or something would be unacceptable, but as it is, you just let it run overnight and look at it as incentive to get a full 8 hours of sleep.
__________________
Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
btspm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004   #12
CD Freaks Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 396
Re: Highest quality transcoder

look's like CCE is the best So now i have two options of backuping my movies

Last edited by AZImmortal; 13-07-2004 at 07:28.
nooby god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004   #13
Ghosters
No longer with us
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Highest quality transcoder

here's some interesting info i picked-up from someplace a few months ago:

Transcoders, like, for eg., Dvd2One, DvDShrink and CloneDvD are so-called "compressed domain transcoders". This means they do not decode, strip down, and re-encode the data; they simply discard then rehash IDCT data - something which can reduce size but can also produce horrifying artifacts.
CCE is an ENCODER. The process here is that the data is decoded, the bit rate and/or size reduced then re-encoded. This cpu-intensive process takes longer, but produces SUBSTANTIALLY better results with no artifacting even at compression as high as 50%. Sure, there's a reduction in quality, but not horrible artifacts
  Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004   #14
CD Freaks Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 396
Re: Highest quality transcoder

thanks for the info. I was wondering would the best way for creating a high quality backup would be like this?(note: it's the method on my sig)

method:
use dvd shrink to remove fbi screens and uncessary audio, then backup with everythinhg at no compression. If it is too big to fit on a dvd, then encode it with DVDRB w/ CCE. Then burn the files w/ nero.
nooby god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004   #15
Ghosters
No longer with us
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Highest quality transcoder

best method i have ever used was from ChickenMan's guide http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=61142
itz a little outdated, but with a few tweak of your own it will be perfect. note that you need dvd decrypter installed. also install the tylo plugin when installing dvd2svcd. start dvd2svcd, cho0se encoder and path. close it. now launch plugin, put 4482 as size of dvd and untick transcode option...it will create the correct size 99.9% of times.
your way would be too long and also possibly spoil the encoder optimisation if you transcode also.

also i use the inbuilt dvd author option...cos dvd maestro is not an option for me
my recent backup of the commitments was superb. only took 1hr 38mins on a p4 ht @ 3.2ghz and dual channel ddr 3200.

settings i used were

http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000001.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000002.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000003.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000004.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000005.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000006.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000007.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000008.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000009.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000010.jpg

Last edited by Ghosters; 14-07-2004 at 06:12.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004   #16
CD Freaks Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 143
Re: Highest quality transcoder

I'm new to this dvd burning thing. Now when you guys are talking about losing quality it is when compressing the movie right? Basically what I want to know is if I use dvdshrink to remove extras and have no compression on the movie, am I losing quality? If so I might have too look into this CCE thing.

Also what about movies that don't need anything removed or compressed. Am I losing quality using dvdshrink to burn them? Would it be better just to use dvddecrypter and burn with nero?
Oats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004   #17
Ghosters
No longer with us
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Highest quality transcoder

no compression means 100% quality. and yes, if your final size will fit onto a dvd without anything more than removind extras and menus etc, then just use decrypter to rip want you want and burn it
  Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004   #18
CDFreaks Resident
 
btspm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Porn Valley, CA, USA
Posts: 611
Re: Highest quality transcoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oats
I'm new to this dvd burning thing. Now when you guys are talking about losing quality it is when compressing the movie right? Basically what I want to know is if I use dvdshrink to remove extras and have no compression on the movie, am I losing quality? If so I might have too look into this CCE thing.

Also what about movies that don't need anything removed or compressed. Am I losing quality using dvdshrink to burn them? Would it be better just to use dvddecrypter and burn with nero?
If you do not compress the main movie, it will be identical to the original (you just won't have the extras).

If the DVD is less than 4.35 GB, you do not need to change a thing. Just use a program to rip the CSS and/or macrovision protection and burn. It will be a perfect copy.
__________________
Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
btspm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004   #19
New on Forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 25
Re: Highest quality transcoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooby god
I was wondering what are the best dvd transcoders outer there in quality. I use dvd shrink but the quality there isn't the best of everything, So can some1 name a few good ones.
Pinnacle InstantCopy is the best transcoder in term of quality from my experience. But it is kind of slow.


Vincent
cychou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004   #20
CD Freaks Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 396
Re: Highest quality transcoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosters
best method i have ever used was from ChickenMan's guide http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=61142
itz a little outdated, but with a few tweak of your own it will be perfect. note that you need dvd decrypter installed. also install the tylo plugin when installing dvd2svcd. start dvd2svcd, cho0se encoder and path. close it. now launch plugin, put 4482 as size of dvd and untick transcode option...it will create the correct size 99.9% of times.
your way would be too long and also possibly spoil the encoder optimisation if you transcode also.

also i use the inbuilt dvd author option...cos dvd maestro is not an option for me
my recent backup of the commitments was superb. only took 1hr 38mins on a p4 ht @ 3.2ghz and dual channel ddr 3200.

settings i used were

http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000001.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000002.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000003.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000004.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000005.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000006.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000007.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000008.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000009.jpg
http://drugoverdose.250free.com/Files/PIC000010.jpg
that method looks good but it can't beat dvd rebuilder with CCE. I have tried that way b4 and It can't compete with CCE.
nooby god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004   #21
CD Freaks Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 143
Re: Highest quality transcoder

Thanks for the info ghoster and btspm
Oats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004   #22
Ghosters
No longer with us
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Highest quality transcoder

agrees that pinnacle 8 in high quality mode is very very good.
nooby god: dvd2svcd uses cce if you have it installed, as i do
  Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004   #23
MyCE Resident
 
DMagic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 824
Re: Highest quality transcoder

As some of the experts over at the CCE and DVD-RB forums pointed out. You wont see a difference between CCE, Shrink, and CloneDVD with very little compression.

Btw, DVD-RB using Rejig is faster than Shrink with deep analysis.
__________________
Sony DRU-500A - NEC ND-2500A - BenQ DW800A - NU DDW-081 - NEC ND-3500AG - BenQ DW1620 - BenQ DW1640 - Lite-On SOHW-1633S - BenQ DQ60 - Sony DRU 820 - NEC ND-3550A
DMagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004   #24
CD Freaks Member
 
Chicago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 124
Re: Highest quality transcoder

Give InterVideo DVD Copy 2 Platinum a whirl - good reviews

Managed to dig out a link to a review of several transcoders

Review Starts Here
Conclusion Here

Quote:
Closing evaluation
If you have carefully read this test, then the victor is clear, and that would be the program from the firm InterVideo DVD Copy. As I have mentioned in the test, on this programs the producers advertise the technology UniPass. The use of this patented technology has made DVD Copy the clear winner, not only for its quality, but for speed of back up. Judged against InstantCopy it is several times faster.

The next duo who sit in second and third places are the programs DVD X XPRESS and DVD2one. These programs achieved very similar results as for not arriving at pixelization and vertical lines. Especially DVD X Copy XPRESS surprised with its results and its overall third place shared with DVD2one is deserved.

Sitting in the final spots are a trio of programs. They are to a great extent used and loved for their managing, pleasant environment. I am disappointed by the result of DVD Shrink, this freeware program could have deserved a better placing, but the quality of its output was low, that`s a shame. Similar results were offered by Nero Recode 2 so they both finished in last place. For the debris, and debris only, Clone DVD finished slightly higher in second last place.

The prizes have been awarded, and the winners and losers may exit stage left, but we in the hall still have something to say and that is that not only the quality, but also the speed and options of back up programs are interesting for us users, so eventually a comparison of speed and features of individual programs will appear. As individual producers issue their newer versions for their programs, we will test their quality as well.
The test appears to have been run some time ago - several of the transcoders have been updated - including the InterVideo offering.

One major drawback with the InterVideo software - will not copy to hard drive (discouraging multi-copy runs?)

I've tried all the methods mentioned in this thread, from 30 minute transcoders to full whack over-night re-encoding - for 90% of my copies I use the much improved v2 of CloneDVD (from elby not the pretender with the same name)
__________________
Regards Chicago
Pioneer DVR-115 FW1.18 (for now - looking for 1.13) - Master
BenQ DW1620 FW B7W9 - Slave (all HDs are SATA)
ImgBurn v2.4.3.0
Prassi ONES
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004   #25
Ghosters
No longer with us
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Highest quality transcoder

my testing of InterVideo DVD Copy 2 Platinum was a bad experience. it produced white blocks . this has been reported, but i didn't believe that intervideo was teamed-up with Leggo Inc until i saw the awful results
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CD-R Highest Quality Media? bevopa Blank Media 10 03-12-2010 21:49
What is the highest quality CD-R media now? Please come to discuss from your exp'? winona Blank Media 13 03-12-2010 21:41
Transcoder Quality mjwhitfield Newbie Forum 16 26-01-2007 10:19
What is the highest quality compression to be able to edit DVD files? crappinatbernies Video Edit Software 3 20-03-2005 11:55
Highest quality SVCD ExpertTech Video Edit Software 2 22-04-2004 04:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:25.
Top