Old 16-12-2003   #1
CD Freaks Member

difference between variable and constant?

what is the difference between variable and constant bit rates?
mea20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2003   #2
Resigned

Now there's an unusual question!

Try here: http://www.dvd2one.com/ratio.php

-Pete
Peter McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2003   #3
CD Freaks Senior Member

Well the constant mode is an alternative to the variable mode, which gives you ...errr errrm errr errrm, better results sometimes, but then again not always, on longer films, but can sometimes not be distinguished from variable if the studio original used a different mode themselves, but you dont know this till you try it.
If you notice a marked difference and think you have graped the concept well, dont get too excited, cos the next one will be different, most likely .... but then again it may not
NEC ND-4550A 1.06 DVD±RW
Phil Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004   #4
New on Forum

Briefly try & see !
cenkog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter McCall
Now there's an unusual question!

Try here: http://www.dvd2one.com/ratio.php

-Pete
Now...now, Peter...<g>

Hey, just realized I can still participate here (I thought since they packed-off to their own lair that Freaks dropped this group)!
Any chance for some hints for useage/hazards of new 1.4.0 functions--or a link you could offer?
I'm also real curious about the pauses/jitters that have plauged some with M-O in 1.3.0 (and reports of same in 1.4.0).
I had some media-related issues lately, and now want to play things a litte 'safer'--but 1.4.0 is sure tempting compared 1.2.3...

Last edited by loggy; 07-01-2004 at 15:18.
loggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004   #6
Resigned

I wondered where you'd got to. Welcome back!

Erwin told me recently that he had identified the 'one thing that was different' between 1.2 and 1.3, and corrected this in 1.4.
So you can feel free to use all the new features, cutting and joining at will without worries about pausing; not to mention experiencing all that angst and high anxiety about whether to select Constant or Variable mode...

-Pete
Peter McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter McCall
I wondered where you'd got to. Welcome back!
Erwin told me recently that he had identified the 'one thing that was different' between 1.2 and 1.3, and corrected this in 1.4.
So you can feel free to use all the new features, cutting and joining at will without worries about pausing; not to mention experiencing all that angst and high anxiety about whether to select Constant or Variable mode...
-Pete
Thanks! I didn't think much of the notion of taking things to a 'closed-group' [and from a quick, occasional look-see, neither did a lot of others--that place is largely 'de-populated'].
In fact, this group needs a little more participation...but great to see you, and some others, still hangin'...

Great news about 1.4.0. I'd finally come to choose Constant for nearly all Movie-Only's prior to the Xtreme-4X 'media issue' that caused some concern for a bit. Then the version-thingy raised it's Ugly Head!
Now I just have the angst&anxiety in regards the cell/chap options, and in pre-viewing for selection...[g] No informative hints/links in here, other group(s), or site that I've seen yet.
When this was the primary group, it was a much greater asset for users/developers alike--you know? Lots of activity, sharing, feedback, and experimentation.
Oh well--Prop's to you diehard's, and to Freak's!
loggy is offline   Reply With Quote