Old 27-12-2006   #1
New on Forum

Da Vinci Code Auto Subtitle issues

All-

I cannot get those 'random' sub-titles to show-up with the video when making a backup. IE: In English version of The Da Vinci Code when the actors speak latin (or other language) an English Sub-text 'Pop up' should occur at bottom of screen. Here are the software versions I am running and error messages.

Are there some settings to changes that address this or is this Vid smater than me/software???

RUNNING:
AnyDVD 6.0.9.9 (Most recent rev as of 12-26-06)
CloneDVD2 2.0.9.3 (Most recent rev.)

ERROR Message:
"Creation of DVD files was not successful: unexpected error... CloneMap 2 TCE"

Method of backup via CloneDVD2
IE: Copy DVD Title... Clone DVD... Both methods create same above error.

Within the Clone DVD option when you try to choose "Title" 19 and/or 20 A new subwindow pops up in CloneDVD2 "Trying to repair defective DVD structure... Please wait" I let this run through and it was still unsuccessful at backing up Da Vinci Code. I believe these two files to be the Sub-title text containers that synch up with the video and 'Kick-In' when the movie's actors go from English to 'Another Language'...

I can "Copy DVD" but the result is less than desired. IE: Original problem of the "Auto Sub-titles" apprearing when the actors kick into a language other than English (Latin, French, whatever...)

Has anyone overcome this with a "Tweak" with in AnyDVD and/or CloneDVD2??? Or is there another package/tweak that will work.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and post your experiences.

P.S. Hardware is not an issue. I have four computers and I've tried the above on all four with the same results (Dell, Toshiba, Compaq, IBM)
ttboyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Da Vinci Code Auto Subtitle issues

I can tell you how I did it. Very simple really. The subtitle commands are stored in the menu. So, if you do Copy DVD and check the Preserve menu option, you will get the good copy quality plus your subtitles. I swear James said this was going to get fixed one of these days. Hint, hint, James.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006   #3
New on Forum

Hi SamuriHL-

Just to be a little more clear on my issue as I did write a lot and may not have been clear. (it is in my head but cannot always write whats in my head...)

Preserving the "Generic" Subtitles are not a problem. They are held true when I go through any sequence of a copy.

The issue is in the "Auto Non sequencial" sub titles 'Pop Ups". Like in The Da Vinci Code. (English as main Language set) when an Actor starts to speak from English to say, Latin, there should be an "Auto Subtitle Popup" that co-insides with that video sequence.

My issues is that I cannot get those Auto Popups to appear at the correct moments in the movie.

Now I can just set the 'English' Sub titles to kickin but they appear during the "WHOLE" movie. Jeeze I don't want that. I just want to understand what those "Cheese Eatin Spider Monkeys" (Simpson Quote) are saying when they kick into a non English blurb.

Thanks again, hope this cleared it up.... did it?????
ttboyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006   #4
MyCE Resident

No, I know exactly what you're referring to. What's odd is that I backed up this title and got the subs you're looking for with no problem. Honestly I'm not sure what could be the issue here. I know that keeping the menu has a lot to do with subtitle issues in general. Did you select all the subtitles on the subtitle selection screen?
Old 02-01-2007   #5
CD Freaks Rookie

Here's the solution. Keep the English subs selected in Clone but turn them off when you watch the movie. This will show only the subs during foreign speaking.

So I did main movie only, with English subs, that's it.
TheEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #6
MyCE Senior Member

Da Vinci Code English Subtitles

I do not have this dvd with me, but I seem to recall that there are actually 2 english subtitles included on this dvd. One of them is the full english subtitle option that runs throughout the movie (I believe the first one) - the other is for english subtitles only during latin speaking portions of the film.
You could include only the 2nd subtitle, or both subtitles. In either case, you will probably have to switch to the 2nd english subtitle option manually when playing your backup, since I know of no way to tell CloneDVD2 which subtitle you want it to default to. If you decide to use DVDShrink instead of CloneDVD2, you are able to force the backup to default to whatever subtitle you want.
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #7
MyCE Resident

Re: Da Vinci Code English Subtitles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86
I do not have this dvd with me, but I seem to recall that there are actually 2 english subtitles included on this dvd. One of them is the full english subtitle option that runs throughout the movie (I believe the first one) - the other is for english subtitles only during latin speaking portions of the film.
You could include only the 2nd subtitle, or both subtitles. In either case, you will probably have to switch to the 2nd english subtitle option manually when playing your backup, since I know of no way to tell CloneDVD2 which subtitle you want it to default to. If you decide to use DVDShrink instead of CloneDVD2, you are able to force the backup to default to whatever subtitle you want.
Yea, the second set of subtitles are forced subs. I SOOO wish Elby would fix this particular problem with CloneDVD. My comment about keeping the menu pertains to that. When you start the movie from the menu, it sets the forced subs to be on(assuming you kept them, that is). When you do a movie only rip, there's nothing telling the forced subs to be enabled by default. You could, of course, fix this manually using PGCEdit before you burn the disc, but, that's a pain. You should be able to select what subs you want enabled by default when you create your backup in CloneDVD regardless of what the disc defaults to. DVD Shrink allows you to use forced subs, right? It's been a while since I looked at Shrink.
Old 03-01-2007   #8
CD Freaks Rookie

I thought there were three subs, English, French and Spanish. In the tests I did to figure this out, when I kept the menus and no subs, I did not get the forced subs. Maybe we have different versions of the disc? Mine is region 1... Oh well, maybe this discussion will help others.
Old 03-01-2007   #9
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
I thought there were three subs, English, French and Spanish. In the tests I did to figure this out, when I kept the menus and no subs, I did not get the forced subs. Maybe we have different versions of the disc? Mine is region 1... Oh well, maybe this discussion will help others.
There could be multiple language subtitles - but the point is there are 2 english subtitles as described earlier.
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
That's correct...if you don't keep any of the subs, then that means the forced subs won't be there either. On my version of the disc, as Rich86 says, I have 2 english sub tracks...one of those is the forced subs.
Old 03-01-2007   #11
CD Freaks Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL
That's correct...if you don't keep any of the subs, then that means the forced subs won't be there either. On my version of the disc, as Rich86 says, I have 2 english sub tracks...one of those is the forced subs.
I was saying that on my version there were only three subs, and only one of them was English. I've seen Clone report 'forced sub' before but did not see that this time. Sure it may not be a real forced sub, not too familiar with DVD structure...

I was also saying that what worked for me didn't involve preserving the menus at all. The OP seems to have the same disc as me, only one English sub option.

2-disc, R1, WS